Toll reimbursement

BkS

Ok so I read in one thread that if you drop a pax off in NY and take the verazano, Uber will cover your cost back. True or false? Took a pax to Brooklyn via verazano and Uber said they do not reimburse tolls for empty rides.

IERide

If UBER told you they dont pay, then my guess is, they don’t pay. I would take what Uber says over what a bunch of strangers on the internet say.
I know that in my market, tolls are only paid during the pax-ride.. No free rides back home..

Mr Met

You should have been paid over 35 bucks in toll reimbursement. Stay away from NYC rides at all cost unless it's very late with no traffic at all. Lyft only gives you 20 bucks in toll reimbursement for the same trip. If you do ever decide to take another NYC trip, I suggest you take the longest route you can get away with, especially with out of towners and tourists or college students going home and anyone who foolishly falls asleep on the ride. I've taken someone to JFK from Old Bridge through the GWB and made like 30 more with a small 1.5x surge in affect, lol.

Last edited:

BkS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You should have been paid over 35 bucks in toll reimbursement. Stay away from NYC rides at all cost unless it's very late with no traffic at all. Lyft only gives you 20 bucks in toll reimbursement for the same trip. If you do ever decide to take another NYC trip, I suggest you take the longest route you can get away with, especially with out of towners and tourists or college students going home and anyone who foolishly falls asleep on the ride. I've taken someone to JFK from Old Bridge through the GWB and made like 30 more with a small 1.5x surge in affect, lol.
Luckily for me I caught this ride as I had set my destination which was Brooklyn, 10 min away from the drop off so it works perfect for me. Just wanted to find out about the verrazano fee I heard about getting reimbursed

IERide

To be clear, you are asking about being reimbursed ON YOUR WAY BACK, WITHOUT A RIDER, correct?

IERide

I dont know what I’m talking about, asking for clarification?
Sorry for following along and asking for more information - I hope my simple request for clarification has not affected your life too adversly...
Christ, it’s so obvious why some idiots are Uber drivers....

Eesoso

They reimburse you by charging $20 for the toll going into the city. Going in off peak hours with ez pass costs 8.50. You can also use the HOV if applicable, I believe it's 6.50 then.

SuzeCB

To be clear, you are asking about being reimbursed ON YOUR WAY BACK, WITHOUT A RIDER, correct?
New Jersey drivers are not allowed to pick up in New York City. There are several ways of getting into New York City. The main ways that most people go consists of the George Washington Bridge, the Lincoln Tunnel, and the Holland Tunnel. Each of these has a toll going from New Jersey to New York, but no toll coming from New York going to New Jersey. Then there is the Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing. These go into Staten Island in New York, and the toll is only when going into Staten Island, not when you're coming back out to Jersey.

The Verrazano is the bridge to get between Staten Island and the rest of New York. The toll on that bridge is opposite. You pay coming from the city to Staten Island.

Uber pays $20 to go into New York from Jersey. This is meant to cover the toll to get into New York, and also the empty ride back, although no driver likes to admit that. Taking the Bayonne Bridge and the Verrazano puts us into the position of going over the Verrazano Bridge, which Uber believes we will take back, and so they charge the passenger, and passed on to the drivers, an additional toll.

If you are lucky enough to be able to go in this way, you don't come out this way. You've already gotten the toll for the Verrazano, even though you didn't have to pay it. You then go into Manhattan and come out through the Holland, or, if traffic is a bear, head up a little further to the Lincoln.

Does that help?

It is a bit confusing if you don't know the market. Hell, they can be confusing if you do and don't do very many rides into New York City. I was driving for a while before I learned about this "Verrazzano Trick". And you have to pay attention to your customer, and if it's actually justifiable. You get a customer who knows the market and try to use this trick by going completely out of the way, they're going to call you on it in a heartbeat.

Fewber

If you go over the verrazano bridge into Brooklyn uber pays you the toll, even though the toll is actually collected the opposite way leaving Brooklyn into staten island...

Lepke

Here's the deal. If you have a New York EZ Pass the Verrazano Bridge cost you $11.52. If you have a New Jersey EZ Pass it's $17.
The toll is one way. You don't pay the toll going out but you have to pay the toll coming back. For at least the past 2 years Uber policy has been to pay this return toll so that drivers won't refuse rides. Lyft policy is more or less to do whatever Uber does but has to give the driver a hard time about it.

Any questions?

BkS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just spoke to a normal human at Uber. My toll was adjusted properly as there was an Uber glitch and should if posted instantly. I received $37.90 for the tolls.
$20 nyc surcharge
17 verazano
$.90 NJT.
Not too shabby since Goethals only cost me $6.25

mikewithebike

Did a LGA trip from Long Branch. Pkwy to Tpke to GWB to I-278 to LGA. After drop off I went to Belmont Park in Long Island to see a buddy that was rubbing horses up there. Hit instant pay and bought breakfast. Took the belt back to the Verrazano and immediately sent a messages to support by email (before phone support was available). Told them due to traffic Google maps took me back this way. They checked the trip and informed me the toll would be paid on my next statement, which it was. Every time I have used this same story I've been paid tolls both ways, empty (of course) on the way back...