• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Toddlers, no car seat

TheThings

How do you handle requests when you get there and it is someone with Littles who should be in a car seat?? For liability reasons, I'm declining rides. I'm surprised Uber seems to allow it because the response i received was that i could politely decline, not that it was against policy, though these are the laws in CO:

Child Car Seat Laws in Colorado
  • Birth to 1 year old and less than 20 lbs: Rear-facing seat, in the back seat only (no exceptions). ...
  • 1 through 3 years old and at least 20 lbs: Forward-facing seat in the back seat of the vehicle. ...
  • 4 through 7 years old: Booster seat.
  • Beginning at 8 years old: Standard vehicle safety belt.

arrrghhh

I thought it was based on size of the child, and the years were just a rule-of-thumb kind of thing.

Regardless, you should cancel rides if you feel the parents do not have the appropriate seating. Sucks, because then you won't get anything for payout... but c'est la vie with Uber.

Jimmy Bernat

I've turned down a half a dozen rides where they had a child with no car seat. If the child looks close to big enough I'll let it go but when they're infants or small toddlers. Heck no, and the fact that you'd put your child in a strangers car with no car seat sickens me.

arrrghhh

the fact that you'd put your child in a strangers car with no car seat sickens me.
This is probably the most disturbing part of all. If only there was some test for having children... If only!

Just sad that me, unmarried and no kids, have more consideration for peoples children than the parent themselves.

Archie Nelson

This is probably the most disturbing part of all. If only there was some test for having children... If only!

Just sad that me, unmarried and no kids, have more consideration for peoples children than the parent themselves.
In my suburban I carry my daughters booster seat. this is for any just in case moment. Although when I airport it comes out because I need all the room.

arrrghhh

In my suburban I carry my daughters booster seat. this is for any just in case moment. Although when I airport it comes out because I need all the room.
I wouldn't want to put another child in my child seat (which is hypothetical of course) just in case there are any issues. Again, there is a liability issue here - say you put a child in the wrong type of seat, and that parent sues you in the event of an accident.

Regardless, I would not pick them up if they do not have the proper equipment. I've made the mistake in the past... thankfully nothing happened, but in hindsight it was dumb. Just like cramming too many people in the vehicle, not worth it.

Daisey77

I am SO with you on this! I'm not married, and no kids. Yet how do I pick up on things that actual parents, who should have parental instincts, don't??? I did work in pediatrics for 13 yds but good lord people!! You should hear some of the questions I would get. No you cannot take your two month old hiking up a fourteener!

Archie Nelson

I wouldn't want to put another child in my child seat (which is hypothetical of course) just in case there are any issues. Again, there is a liability issue here - say you put a child in the wrong type of seat, and that parent sues you in the event of an accident.

Regardless, I would not pick them up if they do not have the proper equipment. I've made the mistake in the past... thankfully nothing happened, but in hindsight it was dumb. Just like cramming too many people in the vehicle, not worth it.
the end one time I did I was picking up a mother roflmao 3 who had locked her keys in her car. she would have had no way home had I just used the not my fault not my problem thought process

arrrghhh

the end one time I did I was picking up a mother roflmao 3 who had locked her keys in her car. she would have had no way home had I just used the not my fault not my problem thought process
Yep, there's always going to be a balance. Just keep in mind the liability you are accepting, it's unfortunate but Uber/Lyft really have done a good job of shielding themselves from this type of litigation.

wspanic33

Does my child need a car seat when riding in a taxi, shuttle vans?

No. These types of vehicles are exempt from Colorado's child passenger safety laws. However, this does not mean children are any safer traveling in these types of vehicles. It is always the safest option to use car seats and booster seats, even in exempt vehicles.

CDOT.gov

arrrghhh

Does my child need a car seat when riding in a taxi, shuttle vans?

No. These types of vehicles are exempt from Colorado's child passenger safety laws. However, this does not mean children are any safer traveling in these types of vehicles. It is always the safest option to use car seats and booster seats, even in exempt vehicles.

CDOT.gov
Interesting. Applies to TNC's as well then I presume, 'taxis'?

Tripwire

I believe in certain cities if you have/purchase a seat you get "Uber approved" and riders with chillinz can/should only be able to request that option

Tripwire

ALL OF THAT IS ABOUT TO CHANGE ! They are finally ready to legislate seat belts in school busses even.
The fall out will reach taxi also.
About time, it's 2016.

Teachers Union, one of the most powerful unions in the nation and all it took was kids dying to have a call to action on something that critical.

wspanic33

I just spoke with an investigator at the PUC so we will all know... it is of his opinion that TNC operators do not fall into the exemption category such as commercial vehicles. Also, there is an exemption for medical emergency.

Bobby Maverick

I am SO with you on this! I'm not married, and no kids. Yet how do I pick up on things that actual parents, who should have parental instincts, don't??? I did work in pediatrics for 13 yds but good lord people!! You should hear some of the questions I would get. No you cannot take your two month old hiking up a fourteener!
My wife works in Labor & Delivery and they get the same stuff. Like a mom trying to feed her 4-hour old infant a bite of her English muffin, SMH.

That said, even though we took parenting classes and read every book we could find while my wife was pregnant, I remember the feeling when we left the hospital with our firstborn. They helped us load her into the car seat, and then they were like, "Good luck! Bye!" And I'm thinking, "I have zero parenting experience! You're just going to send us home with this tiny human? I don't know what the hell I'm doing!"

Shoot, all these years later, I still don't know what the hell I'm doing. But our oldest started high school this year and she's a lovely, kind, and strong young lady, so I suppose it's working out okay. :smiles: