today

malst933

Sitting around the house doing nothing, so I was gonna go out and catch a few fares.. Turn on uber rider app and it was like 10 cars out in a three block radius... Damn!! No uber for me today I guess!!!

Another Uber Driver

I hit the street at about the same time that you posted this, to-day. I ran eight trips in the taxi in just under three hours. Considering the time of year that this is, that ain't bad. There were three Uber Taxi trips, one from my company and four street hails. Sunday late afternoon and early evening is not a bad time to work the taxi. There is not much competition and people do want to get places.

One thing that you do is open the passenger application and try to head where the competition ain't. I do this for Uber Taxi all the time. Further, if I see that Tesfaye is turning left and Abdullah is making a U-turn, either I turn right or go straight. This may prove more difficult for UberX, as Uber has been onboarding legions of UberX drivers, lately, but, it might be worth trying. Uber is onboarding Uber Taxi drivers here, as well, but they are being touchy about the age of the cab.

There are large numbers of cabs due for replacement at the end of this year as part of the phase-out of older models. Still, these guys are trying to hold onto their older vehicles for as long as possible. Most of them will wait until the last minute. They are in for one nasty surprise. It now takes four to six weeks from the time that you hand in your vehicle to the shop for the equipment change to the time that you are back to work. You can not find a rental cab anywhere in the City. My cab was up for replacement at the end of this year, but I had it done in June. There will be some major boosts in customers for both cabs and UberX, as there are going to be a large number of cab drivers who will find themselves out of work for a while.

nutzareus

I went to another minor league baseball game in Woodbridge and turned on the app after the game. Maybe I can pick up a ping on the way home. No ping from Woodbridge to Springfield Mixing Bowl, then Tysons Corner. Finally pinged in Potomac but it was a $12 FOOD DELIVERY from a mother off River Road to her daughter on Connecticut and Albemarle NW. I have done 750+ in 14 months and that was the first time I've been utilized as a courier delivery service. The food did smell delicious, I have no idea what was in the other bag. I guess I should inspect in the future to make sure I'm not a drug mule by accident...

uberdriver

I have done 750+ in 14 months and that was the first time I've been utilized as a courier delivery service. The food did smell delicious, I have no idea what was in the other bag. I guess I should inspect in the future to make sure I'm not a drug mule by accident...
I had a trip where I also thought may be I would be considered a mule, in that case a spy mule or some other dangerously illegal activity. Got a ping from Rosslyn. I arrive to the pick up point and there is a guy standing on the sidewalk. He does not get in, and instead hands me a laptop with a sticky note on it with just a first name like "John" and an address. He asks me if I can deliver the laptop to that address in DC. I said yes and drove across the State line. "John" was also standing on the sidewalk, ready to receive the laptop at the destination address.

It was one of the most stress free Uber trips. Nobody complaining about why I turned here instead of there, or asking for music, or more or less A/C.

Raider

I hit the street at about the same time that you posted this, to-day. I ran eight trips in the taxi in just under three hours. Considering the time of year that this is, that ain't bad. There were three Uber Taxi trips, one from my company and four street hails. Sunday late afternoon and early evening is not a bad time to work the taxi. There is not much competition and people do want to get places.

One thing that you do is open the passenger application and try to head where the competition ain't. I do this for Uber Taxi all the time. Further, if I see that Tesfaye is turning left and Abdullah is making a U-turn, either I turn right or go straight. This may prove more difficult for UberX, as Uber has been onboarding legions of UberX drivers, lately, but, it might be worth trying. Uber is onboarding Uber Taxi drivers here, as well, but they are being touchy about the age of the cab.

There are large numbers of cabs due for replacement at the end of this year as part of the phase-out of older models. Still, these guys are trying to hold onto their older vehicles for as long as possible. Most of them will wait until the last minute. They are in for one nasty surprise. It now takes four to six weeks from the time that you hand in your vehicle to the shop for the equipment change to the time that you are back to work. You can not find a rental cab anywhere in the City. My cab was up for replacement at the end of this year, but I had it done in June. There will be some major boosts in customers for both cabs and UberX, as there are going to be a large number of cab drivers who will find themselves out of work for a while.

Procrastinators get nowhere in life. Good thing you took care of your stuff beforehand. So end of this year should sway demand higher due to the lack of taxis is that right? And what time frame is this? Around new year?

Another Uber Driver

I would guess that there might be a shortage in January. These drivers who must replace cars are going to try to squeeze out the money from the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The week between Christmas and New Year's is always the slowest. I would guess that the drivers would start looking to replace the vehicles right after Christmas. The first two weeks in January tend to be slower, but, with a lack of competition, those who are out here should do better than usual.

Funny, I wonder if this might be part of what is motivating Uber not to accept any new Uber Taxi drivers whose car is older than 2009. Anything older than 2007 must go at the end of this year. At the end of 2016, the 2008 and 2009 must go. After that, it is seven years and the service life limitations, which are extremely oppressive (thanks, Commissioners affiliated with the Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism businesses).

uberdriver

I would guess that there might be a shortage in January. These drivers who must replace cars are going to try to squeeze out the money from the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The week between Christmas and New Year's is always the slowest. I would guess that the drivers would start looking to replace the vehicles right after Christmas. The first two weeks in January tend to be slower, but, with a lack of competition, those who are out here should do better than usual.

Funny, I wonder if this might be part of what is motivating Uber not to accept any new Uber Taxi drivers whose car is older than 2009. Anything older than 2007 must go at the end of this year. At the end of 2016, the 2008 and 2009 must go. After that, it is seven years and the service life limitations, which are extremely oppressive (thanks, Commissioners affiliated with the Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism businesses).
Do you have a sense of how many, or what proportion, of current DC taxicabs are pre-2007 and therefore will be really phased out this coming Dec 31st ? How many of them do you think may be granted the 3 year-extension ?

Unless those that actually are taken off the road represent quite a substantial proportion of the total, I am not sure that there will be a significant effect on the demand for UberX. Yes, there will probably be such an effect for UberTaxi.

If I remember correctly you estimated the total number of DC taxicabs at around 6,000. By the end of the year there will most likely be more than 20,000 and may be even 30,000 or more UberX drivers in the DMV area. And the substitution rate by passengers between regular taxis and UberX is not so high. Not anything close to what it is between regular taxis and UberTaxi.

For drivers that only do UberX, don't put your hopes up too much that it will be much different around New Year because of this effect of some taxis being retired. Those that also do UberTaxi, may be you have a candy coming your way for New Year.

There is one group of people that may experience quite better demand around New Year. Those selling used Priuses.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

I am guessing that it is a significant number. Last week, the DCTC voted to halt all applications for an extension for all pre-2009 vehicles effective October 2015. The application and review process is not a simple one. I would suspect that those drivers who have not had an opportunity to have their case reviewed will be told simply to replace the vehicle or turn in the plates. I doubt that the DCTC would have taken this action if the number of vehicles had not been so large.

The way that the process works is that you apply for the extension, submit the supporting documents and state your case. The review panel can grant no extension, one year, two or three. There are some pre-requisites, such as not failing your last two inspections, thus, having to report for re-inspection. This is in keeping with the DCTC statement that it will grant extensions to vehicles that are "well-maintained and/or in excellent mechanical condition". As passing inspection on the first try is rare for a cab, most will not even be able to apply. Baseless failing of cabs at the Test Station has long been a problem. This is one reason why bribery and the buying and selling of inspection stickers for cabs has long been a problem. I have gone on record before various agencies and even the City Council stating that the reason that there are so many problems at the Test Station is that cab drivers do not receive fair treatment. Further, as there is being phased in a new paint scheme, those with older schemes are being failed even if there is nothing wrong with the paint. Failure for a supposedly bad paint job or a few minor cosmetic flaws has long been a sore point amoung the drivers, companies and the Test Station.

On another note, it is interesting to see that you are making similar observations to mine about the passengers that use this or that Uber. I have posted more than once that the overwhelming majority of my UberX passengers are people who never would use a taxi, anyhow. It appears that you are seeing similar---or do I mistake what you post? The one glaring exception to that seems to be the students. They used to use taxis, but most of them are using UberX these days. Part of it is the cost, part of it is the use of the new technology. In fact, most of the students that I get in the taxi come from Uber Taxi. Street hails run a close second, but, that is in keeping with my disagreement with the Rocket Scientists that the street hail will disappear. If I get passengers from my own company (the result of a telephone call) more often than not, their parent(s) is (are) with the student and one parent made the call. I get many American U students on Uber Taxi. I get a few Georgetown students from Uber Taxi. (I actually can accept calls on Uber Taxi at Healy Gate with the reasonable assurance that the student actually will be there when I get there. That never happened before Uber). Most of the GW or Catholic U students that I get in the taxi are street hails. I do not know what the Catholic U students are doing for rides; I do not get many of them on UberX. I do get many Georgetown and GW students on UberX.