To Select......or not to Select? That is the question.......?

Midimacman

So I've had my profile configured to ACCEPT Only select requests for my 2016 chevy impala....and I have a second profile for that vehicle that will accept both x and select requests. I'm always trying to get the best request at the highest rate now and it drives me crazy.

Do any other select drivers have advice for me about switching between profiles? Also what about any "select" advice in general? Thanks!

Jimmy Bernat

I switch between profiles, I only do X when it's surging or to get ride count for a PDB
You can't make money on UberX no surge rates are insultingly low

Before I was getting Ubers PDB offers I was only doing Lyft and UberSelect . The only time I would switch to my UberX profile was when I was at DIA

Disgusted Driver

For me in RDU land, my switching point is about 2X surge. At 2X I'll take X rides, at 2.7, it's pretty much break even with Select rates. The other time I'll take X is when I've gone out to the boonies, I'll switch to both and see if I can get lucky and get something on the way back. If I get $30 on select to take you home, I'd still rather have $10 to drive an X passenger back towards downtown. Usually works for me, once in a while I get screwed because they are going off in a different direction but overall it's a better strategy for me.

Jimmy Bernat

The bonies is a good spot for X too, if I get taken far away from the city usually an X ride will bring me back . More often then not they're going back towards Denver .
Also if it's surging heavily on X watch for people who will order Select to avoid surge , whenever surge hits 1.7x I notice my Select pings increase , I think as soon as it hits 2.3x is where X is better then Select .
I just prefer select all around not only do you make more but it's usually one or two people very rarely is it groups and the people for some reason are nicer and seem to tip better. Yesterday I went LoHi to DIA on select got a $20 tip and then a Select DIA to Stapleton $10 tip. I rarely get X tips

FAC

The bonies is a good spot for X too, if I get taken far away from the city usually an X ride will bring me back . More often then not they're going back towards Denver .
Also if it's surging heavily on X watch for people who will order Select to avoid surge , whenever surge hits 1.7x I notice my Select pings increase , I think as soon as it hits 2.3x is where X is better then Select .
I just prefer select all around not only do you make more but it's usually one or two people very rarely is it groups and the people for some reason are nicer and seem to tip better. Yesterday I went LoHi to DIA on select got a $20 tip and then a Select DIA to Stapleton $10 tip. I rarely get X tips
But when X is at a high surge, select typically starts surging. A select surge at 1.7 still pays more than X 2.5 surge. I almost never take an X ride. But I do have 3 profiles. X only. Select only. X and Select.

Midimacman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's really hard to wrap yourself around is the display of surge pricing. Try and log into different profiles and analyze the surge display rates !!

Disgusted Driver

But when X is at a high surge, select typically starts surging. A select surge at 1.7 still pays more than X 2.5 surge. I almost never take an X ride. But I do have 3 profiles. X only. Select only. X and Select.
In my market, X can go over 3 before select starts surging. Also, it is really rare to get a surge ping on Select. Folks here just won't order it when it's surging. I have maybe a dozen select surge pings in the last year. Breakeven for me works out to around 2.7 so I'll take what I can get when X is running.

Jimmy Bernat

Yeah it's rare to get select surge requests, I've gotten a Few and as high as 3.8x sure on select.

You don't have to spend 30k for a select vehicle there are options in most markets in the low teens which have already taken their main depreciation already.

My next vehicle begining of next year will qualify for xl and select if of I decided to keep doing this. Denver has some great options that qualify for both well under 20k

Jimmy Bernat

It's a Chrysler so it will loose a ton of value right off the bat.
15k is a good price point for a select xl vehicle. I don't think a Pacifica would qualify for black.

FAC

The Surge app for iOS tells you in realtime the surge for all platforms in your current location. It used to allow you to track the surge in 10 locations but Uber didn't like that so told them to change the app. It's not as great as it once was, but at least you know the rate everything is surging. Also don't forget to calculate the base fare for select is $4 That's much better than $0.75. The break even point is a X surge at 2.5 when Select isn't surging. Even if X is surging at 3x and Select is only 1.5x you still make more on select.

Jimmy Bernat

The Surge app for iOS tells you in realtime the surge for all platforms in your current location. It used to allow you to track the surge in 10 locations but Uber didn't like that so told them to change the app. It's not as great as it once was, but at least you know the rate everything is surging. Also don't forget to calculate the base fare for select is $4 That's much better than $0.75. The break even point is a X surge at 2.5 when Select isn't surging. Even if X is surging at 3x and Select is only 1.5x you still make more on select.
My 2nd line is now an iphone specificly for this app . I use SurgeChaser and it keeps record of multiple zones and builds a history so you can get an idea of where to be at what times . For the most part I have already figured that out but it's nice to get alerted of Surge I have it set to notify me only when UberX goes over 2.1x and Select is over 1.5x ... I really wish Android had an app like this and kinda shocked with it's open platform it doesn't because I fickin hate this phone .

FAC

My 2nd line is now an iphone specificly for this app . I use SurgeChaser and it keeps record of multiple zones and builds a history so you can get an idea of where to be at what times . For the most part I have already figured that out but it's nice to get alerted of Surge I have it set to notify me only when UberX goes over 2.1x and Select is over 1.5x ... I really wish Android had an app like this and kinda shocked with it's open platform it doesn't because I fickin hate this phone .
PM me your referral code for surgechaser. It sucks that surge only can track you current location now. Surgechaser seems like a great app.

JTROSE

I switch between profiles, I only do X when it's surging or to get ride count for a PDB
You can't make money on UberX no surge rates are insultingly low

Before I was getting Ubers PDB offers I was only doing Lyft and UberSelect . The only time I would switch to my UberX profile was when I was at DIA
Where and when do you get the UbeR Select requests? In two months, I've never had one!