To Pick up or to not pick up? That is the question..

ubergrind

So I had an interesting experience today. I got a ping by someone who was rated a 4.1. I was debating if I should pick it up or let is pass. I typically don't care what your star rating is if I think you're headed to the airport. I pull up to the hotel, and low and behold this lady with the mean face is standing there waiting. Traffic is a bit congested since a bunch of jackals are piling in the vehicle in from of me preventing my from pulling ahead of them. Anyhow, after about a minute these guys finally move along enough where I can pull ahead and pick up this lady. I pick her up and she is telling me how I should have pulled in front of them. (This isn't possible since I am not going to run someone's foot over or cause an accident) She then says shes already late and in a hurry so can I drive fast. I tell her no I cannot, and if that's the case she should have planned better. She get's upset, hops out of the moving vehicle and cancels the trip.

Here is the kicker...I've picked her up 3 different times and taken her to the airport. Guess what? She is always running late and her and her husband have always asked me if I can step on the gas. To top if off, they have never once tipped.

Lesson learned, never pick up someone who is that poorly rated. Even out of curiosity, unless the surge is so great it's really not worth it. I hope karma catches her on the backside and she is unable to find a ride. Her rating has really gone down in the past few months since I first had her as a passenger. There is a reason she's rated that low.

What is your criteria for a pick up or pass?

Uberin

I generally avoid low ratings because of the possibility they could be bad passengers, but the worst ratings I have picked up (4.3-4.4) have always ended up being really friendly and often good tippers. I have never had bad experience with low rated passengers, but I still avoid them for the most part. If it is an airport rematch or an early morning airport ride, I generally take anything. If it is prime time, I wont pick up anything below a 4.7.

MercDuke

Yeah if its busy I am more picky, I think of 4.75 as on the low end, they probably had a bad night... the couple the OP mentioned deserve their bad rating, they need to get their $hit together or rent a car.

I had an XL the other night, the guy orders it to the Strip Clup on Welton, but he's actually over at the Hyatt, his name was Darren, and he calls and asks, where are YOU? I am at the Pickup, come on out... he's like, we are at the Hyatt, Buddy... (Buddy is disrespectful) I am not his Buddy we don't know each other... so I foolishly drive to the Hyatt, and he calls again before I get there, there is a lot of construction on 15th.... and I get there, and they are going less than a mile. UGG, I should have just taken him for CANCEL NO SHOW at the Strip Club.. so, we drive the little trip, and theres 5 PAX, all teasing "D-Hill" the guy who ordered the Uber to the Titty Bar he swears he's never been at, and they all ask for Water and my Aux Cord, on their little 3 minute UBER Ride... I dropped their arrogant asses off, and 1 Star for you, D-Hill!

Kaiser Soze

Picked this up in the advice forum and I agree with it, well, I took some liberty here. At night, anything below a 4.5 is a no. If I'm stuck downtown at night, anything below a 4.6 is a no. I won't pick up 4.3 or less and anyone with a 4.6-4.7, I'm skeptical of.

ubergrind

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Picked this up in the advice forum and I agree with it, well, I took some liberty here. At night, anything below a 4.5 is a no. If I'm stuck downtown at night, anything below a 4.6 is a no. I won't pick up 4.3 or less and anyone with a 4.6-4.7, I'm skeptical of.
It's almost comical. A 4.1 is ridiculously low. You're really an awful passenger at that point. It's not like her and her husband are infrequent passengers. They use Uber at least once a month since this is my third time picking her up. First time without the husband. Sometime's I figure ok you're a puker and ended up getting 1 starred. Nope, just an all around awful person. I remember the last time I picked them up they said they were running late for their flight, can you drive fast? I was thinking today, this is a life long problem for her. However, it won't be mine.

I did beat the 4.1. I had a a 3.7 this afternoon on Lyft that I let expire. Too much risk for little payout. 3.7 is the lowest I've ever seen. How are these passengers not removed? Guess the only way to get banned is if you shoot your driver or physically assault them. I can understand why some drivers carry weaponry.

OMG GO!

I usually laugh when i say no after im asked to speed to make up for the passengers inability to plan ahead. If i catch any attitude, i pull over and ask them of they would like to wait for another car.

Daisey77

I usually laugh when i say no after im asked to speed to make up for the passengers inability to plan ahead. If i catch any attitude, i pull over and ask them of they would like to wait for another car.
I would tell them they can sit there and shut up or possibly be deactivated LOL the community guidelines say they cannot ask the drivers to break local traffic laws:cool:

MercDuke

It's a TWENTY DOLLAR BILL for each light I run. I have had a PAX offering me 20's for every light I ran, and I ran 4 of them before he said ENOUGH. LMFAO!!!!! I still chuckle about that guy, like he has a wad of 20s, I was going to get them all!

Mainah

I"ve got you all beat... this was 2 weeks ago.

IMG_6571.jpg

Yeah if its busy I am more picky, I think of 4.75 as on the low end, they probably had a bad night... the couple the OP mentioned deserve their bad rating, they need to get their $hit together or rent a car.

I had an XL the other night, the guy orders it to the Strip Clup on Welton, but he's actually over at the Hyatt, his name was Darren, and he calls and asks, where are YOU? I am at the Pickup, come on out... he's like, we are at the Hyatt, Buddy... (Buddy is disrespectful) I am not his Buddy we don't know each other... so I foolishly drive to the Hyatt, and he calls again before I get there, there is a lot of construction on 15th.... and I get there, and they are going less than a mile. UGG, I should have just taken him for CANCEL NO SHOW at the Strip Club.. so, we drive the little trip, and theres 5 PAX, all teasing "D-Hill" the guy who ordered the Uber to the Titty Bar he swears he's never been at, and they all ask for Water and my Aux Cord, on their little 3 minute UBER Ride... I dropped their arrogant asses off, and 1 Star for you, D-Hill!

I've done that more times than i want to admit. I'm sure you're thinking what I would be...maybe it's an airport run? Faak! Good on you for the 1 star!

mattadams

I generally ignore the customers rating, simply because of what I've read from people on this forum... who indicate they 1-star people just for not tipping. If people dont' take uber that frequently, all it takes is one or two one-stars and they can go from 5-stars to 3 stars, so I find it fairly irrelevant, overall. I've had great experiences with people who were in the 4.0 range. I think the lowest I've ever actually picked up was a 3.5... and they were fine.

Medic303

I generally ignore the customers rating, simply because of what I've read from people on this forum... who indicate they 1-star people just for not tipping. If people dont' take uber that frequently, all it takes is one or two one-stars and they can go from 5-stars to 3 stars, so I find it fairly irrelevant, overall. I've had great experiences with people who were in the 4.0 range. I think the lowest I've ever actually picked up was a 3.5... and they were fine.
This

Kaiser Soze

I picked up a 4.25 today. She was actually very nice. I think people realize that they need a higher rating for better service, so they behave themselves.

ubergrind

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see my entire operation as probability. What is the probability that a passenger at a certain time will be headed the direction I want to go at the time I want that maximizes my profitability and minimizes my time in traffic? While I agree you are going to have passengers as outliers who are rated below 4.5 that are great. I am just no longer willing to wager on them, and prefer riders who have a+ 4.5 rating. Even with a dash cam, one wrong move from a passenger means you could be temporarily deactivated or worse. I'll take my chances with people that have not had bad interactions for whatever the reason may be.

OMG GO!

Its not a garuntee because of exactly what you stated. Its just playing the odds. If i ignore more people below 4.5 stars im likely to win more (get more pleasant pax) than if i picked up everyone. Ive also picked up great pax who were in the 4.3 range and horrible ones at 4.9. Its like counting cards. It doesnt garuntee a win, it just ever so slightly pushes the odds in my favor. Its a numbers game is kinda how i see it.

Last edited: