To all Evening/Late Night Logan Drivers!

TaraVon

Hello to all my fellow Boston Drivers! Can’t believe I’ve been driving for Uber & Lyft going on 4 years now and I am just finding out about this website/forum. Better late then never! I’ve been doing strictly Airport rides for the past year and only work late nights, as that seems to work best for me. The last three months their has been a huge increase with drivers in the airport Queue. Clearly, the number of drivers has risen. However, us late night drivers always had the system down pat and knew how to work it to our benefit. Now I’ve noticed with the high influx of new drivers sitting in the lot, they will also sit online in the system queues. Which in turn drives the prices down = No Surge or Bonus.

****PLEASE!**** If you drive evenings/late nights at Logan Airport, do not sit online in the queue unless it’s surging! The rides are not worth it without a bonus or surge attached. For everyone who sits in the queue, it stops us all from making money. Learn how to maximize the systems to benefit us. The surge/bonus stay on a certain amount of time. So once it’s activated, that’s when you log online.

continue on.... 😆

BostonTaxiDriver

Hello to all my fellow Boston Drivers! Can’t believe I’ve been driving for Uber & Lyft going on 4 years now and I am just finding out about this website/forum. Better late then never! I’ve been doing strictly Airport rides for the past year and only work late nights, as that seems to work best for me. The last three months their has been a huge increase with drivers in the airport Queue. Clearly, the number of drivers has risen. However, us late night drivers always had the system down pat and knew how to work it to our benefit. Now I’ve noticed with the high influx of new drivers sitting in the lot, they will also sit online in the system queues. Which in turn drives the prices down = No Surge or Bonus.

****PLEASE!**** If you drive evenings/late nights at Logan Airport, do not sit online in the queue unless it’s surging! The rides are not worth it without a bonus or surge attached. For everyone who sits in the queue, it stops us all from making money. Learn how to maximize the systems to benefit us. The surge/bonus stay on a certain amount of time. So once it’s activated, that’s when you log online.

continue on.... 😆
Doesn't MassPort still regularly display that yellow-lettered sign near the entrance, warning that one's app must be on at all times or it's a $500 fine?

So they don't really check even periodically, and it's basically not enforced or not enforceable?

64opel

I don't wanna sound rude but :If the airport is not profitable any longer, why don't try another location close by?

South Shore Driver

I think I've actually seen Tara around the lot. Something to mention is that they have a note on the door to the bathrooms saying starting on Jan. 13 they are going to start a crackdown on folks not following the rules. They are specifically talking about morning drop offs between 4 and 10 AM need to be at the arrivals level (although C is always at the new drop off location). However, I have no doubt that they will get around to enforcing all the other rules. There's some guy there who goes around late night to see if folks are sleeping in the cars and throws them out of the lot if they are. He's a wonderful human being.

The airport is definitely changing and it's probably the case the our strategies may need to change too. I've been staggering going online for Uber and Lyft. Get there, go online for Uber, wait 5 minutes, go online for Lyft. If you get an Uber ping that is some dumb pool ride, decline it, then take whatever Lyft gives you. I've had mixed results with this, still thinking about it. Strategies need to change as Uber and Lyft play more games with us. I'm actually more annoyed with the pool rides then I am with the lack of surge pricing lately.

Alas, I don't think a lot of people pay attention to what we write here. I wish they did.

Last edited:

TaraVon

Doesn't MassPort still regularly display that yellow-lettered sign near the entrance, warning that one's app must be on at all times or it's a $500 fine?

So they don't really check even periodically, and it's basically not enforced or not enforceable?

I have yet to see anyone checking to make sure people are logged onto their apps. So, really can’t say. I’m at the airport right now. Currently 75 cars in the Uber queue, no surge. 85 in Lyft, no bonus. However, if more then half those drivers logged out, the surge would start and stay on for a few good minutes, which gives enough time for everyone to log back on.
Post automatically merged:

I don't wanna sound rude but :If the airport is not profitable any longer, why don't try another location close by?

I usually start off at the airport and end my evenings in the Boston area around last call. I don’t take a ride unless their is a surge/bonus attached. It’s matter of knowing what times and areas are due to surge. Hopefully things will pick back up at the airport once students are back next week.

I think I've actually seen Tara around the lot. Something to mention is that they have a note on the door to the bathrooms saying starting on Jan. 13 they are going to start a crackdown on folks not following the rules. They are specifically talking about morning drop offs between 4 and 10 AM need to be at the arrivals level (although C is always at the new drop off location). However, I have no doubt that they will get around to enforcing all the other rules. There's some guy there who goes around late night to see if folks are sleeping in the cars and throws them out of the lot if they are. He's a wonderful human being.

The airport is definitely changing and it's probably the case the our strategies may need to change too. I've been staggering going online for Uber and Lyft. Get there, go online for Uber, wait 5 minutes, go online for Lyft. If you get an Uber ping that is some dumb pool ride, decline it, then take whatever Lyft gives you. I've had mixed results with this, still thinking about it. Strategies need to change as Uber and Lyft play more games with us. I'm actually more annoyed with the pool rides then I am with the lack of surge pricing lately.

Alas, I don't think a lot of people pay attention to what we write here. I wish they did.

Yeah, I’ve heard of them cracking down on drivers sleeping in the lot awhile back. I don’t take pool rides for the same reason. They pay us chump change. Really not worth it. However, I’ve noticed if you exit out of an Uber pool ride at the airport, you lose your place in the queue and the surge if you had one. Leaving us no choice but to accept the damn pool requests! I was told to not leave the airport lot until a 2nd pool request gets added on. That way you’re not getting screwed. If they cancel, then at least you won’t lose your spot in the queue.

Last edited:

Uberexxel

continue on.... 😆
Oh wow I didn't know there was just "late night drivers"....or is there another UBER app???........for late night drivers that there aren't 45 waiting in que. Hey, South Shore Drive...you been watching her???? tisk tisk....Wow you drive last call???? That's a brave feat these days....

South Shore Driver

Just here to make money, made $27 first hour. Fueling up, going back online again in a few. I know there's nothing special about this (others make more) but I grind out lot of trips and make $$$$.

Last edited:

Uberexxel

That's the word....and it sounds good. Hope you do well and get plenty of rides ALL OVER THE AREA but if you only do Boston that's cool too. GL

Berry mian

continue on.... 😆
I thought about posting this topic that you have posted.... thanks for posting it.. And it is true since the drop off and pick up location has been changed and Uber is giving rematch to a lot of drivers and the ones who don’t get the rematch they go Waite into the lot for hours .. I mean to be honest two months ago I could have gone into the parking lot and turn off my app looking at if there are only 20 cars left and all the sudden 10 minutes later there surge and everybody is Online and you see 200 cars But everyone with the surge .. Uber has killed it surge at Logan ..

Conporbos

Even if you do wait long enough to get a surge bonus, you most likely won’t reap the benefits of the additional surge payout. Pax will wait out the surge more and the odds of getting to the front of the line are not in your favor. With the slowed business this month, many drivers are too desperate to get ANY trip and are not going to wait to coordinate for a surge boost.

Uberexxel

continue on.... 😆

Yikes!!! You really did just arrive to scare people......4 years and you didn't know all these ex cabbies, trolls, angry members of pasts, and others gather here to complain, learn, and monitor each other?

I thought about posting this topic that you have posted.... thanks for posting it.. And it is true since the drop off and pick up location has been changed and Uber is giving rematch to a lot of drivers and the ones who don’t get the rematch they go Waite into the lot for hours .. I mean to be honest two months ago I could have gone into the parking lot and turn off my app looking at if there are only 20 cars left and all the sudden 10 minutes later there surge and everybody is Online and you see 200 cars But everyone with the surge .. Uber has killed it surge at Logan ..

There is no financial benefit from Ubers end to manipulate surges at airport. Maybe some political angles but I think the Taxi beef has been done for some time now. Remember, this is still technology and we aren't 100% sure how it works and who works it.

Diamondraider

Yikes!!! You really did just arrive to scare people......4 years and you didn't know all these ex cabbies, trolls, angry members of pasts, and others gather here to complain, learn, and monitor each other?

There is no financial benefit from Ubers end to manipulate surges at airport. Maybe some political angles but I think the Taxi beef has been done for some time now. Remember, this is still technology and we aren't 100% sure how it works and who works it.
Uber has a major reason to manipulate surge....PROFIT!

and you keep trolling @TaraVon? Just, WOW

Uberexxel

Uber has a major reason to manipulate surge....PROFIT!

and you keep trolling @TaraVon? Just, WOW

Trolling?
Whats the definition of trolling? I'm doing something....it isn't trolling. No profit is minimal this is Boston with one airport. Not NYC with 2 or DC with 3 airports. Boston proper has a reason for Uber to manipulate it. Larger size of rides to select from and hide surges. Not airport

Fluffydoglover

continue on.... 😆
I

SHUT IT OFF TIL SURGE!! Tonight was tough. I sat offline in the gas station then got $8 surges. This gray surge shit is killing me.

Uberexxel

I

SHUT IT OFF TIL SURGE!! Tonight was tough. I sat offline in the gas station then got $8 surges. This gray surge shit is killing me.

You sound like you need a pep talk. Are you over 14 a hour? If not, sorry. If so you're above minimum wage. Not many places that pay 20 a hour for mindless work. In fact you could buss your ass and not make that some places. If you don't like the gray sad surge go somewhere sunny. You could make a few bucks more and work with miserable people and it would be like living this message board for 8 to 10 hours straight. So glass half full, have a drink but no one wants to hear your complaints buddy.

Diamondraider

Trolling?
Whats the definition of trolling? I'm doing something....it isn't trolling. No profit is minimal this is Boston with one airport. Not NYC with 2 or DC with 3 airports. Boston proper has a reason for Uber to manipulate it. Larger size of rides to select from and hide surges. Not airport
Sorry. I sincerely thought you were a veteran and therefore you already knew about upfront pricing, the separate algorithm for the two types of surge, etc

if you need help understanding, I’m happy help.

Uberexxel

Sorry. I sincerely thought you were a veteran and therefore you already knew about upfront pricing, the separate algorithm for the two types of surge, etc

if you need help understanding, I’m happy help.

Veteran? There's obviously levels too this Uber stuff. Uber serves a purpose and it's more so for flexibility than some expectation of making a ton of money. You can cut the money or app can have issues but you can turn it off for another day. Do the job until it gets annoying. It's annoying but I've experienced worse.

Diamondraider

Veteran? There's obviously levels too this Uber stuff. Uber serves a purpose and it's more so for flexibility than some expectation of making a ton of money. You can cut the money or app can have issues but you can turn it off for another day. Do the job until it gets annoying. It's annoying but I've experienced worse.
2 years ago Uber decoupled fares and earnings. Drivers do not get a percentage anymore (except CA allegedly).
So, Uber can charge $500 for a minimum fare trip and they can, and sometimes do, retain the huge margin improvement.

pax surges are still multipliers whee drivers are given a fixed incentive for the ride.