• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

TNC Ordinance [STATUS]

Ziggy

Here's the short code for this post: http://j.mp/atxtnc2016 *in case you want to share it :wink:

Austin City Council just passed the TNC Ordinance that requires Fingerprint BG ... after several hours of debate ... vote was 9-2 (with only Zimmerman & Troxclair opposed).

Video of the entire City Council meeting (5+ hours) ... or you can view my "Cliff Notes" (below)

I will post the amended TNC Ordinance asap ... probably will be Monday since staff will probably take Friday off after working all day Thursday until 2AM Friday getting this ordinance passed.

You can see the highlights from the Final Draft (below) .. this will be replaced with the official ordinance as soon as it's available.

Here are some of the highlights:

Excellent ... prevents Uber from instant onboarding of drivers from other cities and having them drive in ATX during events like ACL, F1, SXSW. Does anyone else find it disturbing that drivers from other cities were offered a $2,000 weekend guarantee to drive during ACL ... but Austin drivers were not given same?

Nice ... CoA added some "teeth" into the reg.

Good Neighbor ... reports of a huge surge in Paris just after the bombings ... not very neighborly.

*already a Texas Vehicle Code law ... but some drivers/pax need to be reminded of this

Still driving a POS "Beater" ... time to "Pimp your Ride" (MTV)

This was inevitable ... hopefully, it won't be too obnoxious.

Uber has a long time to get its sh*t together ... 6 months should have been enough time for 100% compliance.

Slow down ... speed demons. This may knock out a few people that think that their TNC status allows them to drive like Mario Andretti.

Kudos CoA ... Uber has no excuse since CoA will help to get drivers fingerprinted

UPDATE: Austin will provide FREE fingerprints for all Austin TNC drivers

Grab some Zzzzs ... I guess the guys hanging out at ABIA overnight will have to logout while they wait for the early morning planes ... or better yet - go home and get some real sleep.

No Learners Permit ... maybe they can also educate drivers not to hold the phone while driving down the street too. And tell drivers that they can't go "in" the exit ... just cause they're an Uber

Ditch the Square ... unless you look good in orange or the unemployment line

Happy Holidays ... seems like drivers can relax during the holidays ... and the new rules take affect in February 2016. So unless Lyft or Uber pull the plug prematurely ... should be biz as usual until next year

Conclusion - overall, I believe most of the full time TNC drivers, cabbies and, to a lesser extent, the riders will be happy with this ordinance.

Last edited:

Tx rides

Just read through the Final Draft of the Austin City Code Chapter 13-2 Article 4 (Transportation Network Company Service)

If it gets adopted by CoA tomorrow ... it will be a good thing for most TNC drivers, Cabbies and the riders.

Here are some of the highlights:

Excellent ... prevents Uber from instant onboarding of drivers from other cities and having them drive in ATX during events like ACL, F1, SXSW. Does anyone else find it disturbing that drivers from other cities were offered a $2,000 weekend guarantee to drive during ACL ... but Austin drivers were not given same?

Nice ... CoA added some "teeth" into the reg.

Good Neighbor ... reports of a huge surge in Paris just after the bombings ... not very neighborly.

*already a Texas Vehicle Code law ... but some drivers/pax need to be reminded of this

Still driving a POS "Beater" ... time to "Pimp your Ride" (MTV)

This was inevitable ... hopefully, it won't be too obnoxious.

Uber has a long time to get its sh*t together ... 6 months should have been enough time for 100% compliance.

Slow down ... speed demons. This may knock out a few people that think that their TNC status allows them to drive like Mario Andretti.

Kudos CoA ... Uber has no excuse since CoA will help to get drivers fingerprinted

Kudos CoA ... for helping out the drivers

Grab some Zzzzs ... I guess the guys hanging out at ABIA overnight will have to logout while they wait for the early morning planes ... or better yet - go home and get some real sleep.

No Learners Permit ... maybe they can also educate drivers not to hold the phone while driving down the street too. And tell drivers that they can't go "in" the exit ... just cause they're an Uber

Ditch the Square ... unless you look good in orange or the unemployment line

Happy Holidays ... seems like drivers can relax during the holidays ... and the new rules take affect in February 2016. So unless Lyft or Uber pull the plug prematurely ... should be biz as usual until next year

Conclusion - overall, I believe most of the full time TNC drivers, cabbies and, to a lesser extent, the riders will be happy with this ordinance.
So is the chauf permit the same as that for taxi/limo? Clear as mud :-)

theuberme

they want me to pay for my fingerprint check? This whole thing has been about $$ from the beginning, and that part makes me sick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clear as mud
yep ... crystal clear as mud.

The only issue I have with the ordinance is the 12 hours online restriction ... especially since drivers waiting at the airport might wait 3+ hours for a trip. Supposedly, taxis have the same 12 hours on duty restriction; however, since there time in service is not tracked electronically, there's no way to verify if they worked more than 12 hours in 24 hour period.

F-uber

This is going to be the hot thread of the day. The regulations appear to have more teeth than what I had thought.

Two immediate questions:

1) will the TNC drivers be required to take the test to get their chauffeurs license?

2) will TNC drivers be required to have commercial or a hybrid insurance policy to supplement the TNC insurance?

F-uber

The only issue I have with the ordinance is the 12 hours online restriction ... especially since drivers waiting at the airport might wait 3+ hours for a trip. Supposedly, taxis have the same 12 hours on duty restriction; however, since there time in service is not tracked electronically, there's no way to verify if they worked more than 12 hours in 24 hour period.
You aren't up with current technology. I can't fart in my cab without the company knowing about it.

Ziggy

Two immediate questions:
1) will the TNC drivers be required to take the test to get their chauffeurs license?
2) will TNC drivers be required to have commercial or a hybrid insurance policy to supplement the TNC insurance?
1 - No
2 - Yes

But there is a "Safe Driver" requirement ... so that's a start.

F-uber

13-2-519 is hard nut to crack for any driver. It is virtually impossible to do business without blocking off a lane. It sends a mixed message. On one hand the city wants us to clear the streets of drunks but on the other hand we can't do our jobs with that impediment. There is a scarcity of cab stands and other businesses block traffic like UPS, busses, beer delivery, etc.

Ziggy

13-2-519 is hard nut to crack for any driver. It is virtually impossible to do business without blocking off a lane. It sends a mixed message. On one hand the city wants us to clear the streets of drunks but on the other hand we can't do our jobs with that impediment. Their is a scarcity of cab stands and other businesses block traffic like UPS, busses, beer delivery, etc.
Yep ... I hear you. I guess the key would be pull in front of the beer truck as he's the one impeding traffic

Jay Dean

I've taken the Chauffers test for a pedi cab permit/license, it was not easy, and I lived in Austin for 32 years..I'm guessing that is why..they know people would have to actually study.

Still it is interesting that you need it to drive a bike but not a TNC car.

Last edited:

theuberme

I guess you failed to see the part where CoA will help drivers pay for the BG.
"Help" me pay? How about I don't pay anything at all. don't be a. haha this forum flags the word (that's why its misspelled).

Ziggy

Still it is interesting that you need it to drive a bike but not a TNC car.
Different intentions ... Taxis and Pedicabs have stands in front of hotels ... because they are the de facto tour guides for the city. Whereas, TNC cars primarily cater to locals. Though, personally, I think that TNC drivers should have a working knowledge of the city ... considering I p/u pax at Four Seasons Residences a few months ago and pax told me the 1st driver got lost trying to find the Four Seasons ... so he canceled Select and order Lux (me).

Ziggy

"Help" me pay? How about I don't pay anything at all. haha this forum flags the word (that's why its misspelled).
Pay or don't pay ... I don't care what you do. I for one will pay for my privilege to work in Austin, it's the responsible thing to do.

Don't pay and go do something else.

Let's thin the herd!

Tx rides

Yep! More UNENFORCEABLE requirements. Just like the 30 minute advance reservations for black car. If the costs of efforts to enforce accurately far exceed the collectible fees for enforcement agency, it won't be enforced. So what's the point? These city ground transportation bozos don't even use reasonable levels of technology in their day to day operations. What in the hell would they do with hourly logs? How would they cross reference drivers who may be driving for several companies?