Uber Drivers Forum banner

TLC Vehicle Application Requirement - Fees and Incorporation

5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Uberman8263 
#1 ·
Signed up with Uber at Manhattan location. I'm currently going through the TLC Driver application process but started looking at what the requirements are for TLC Vehicle Licensing. Unless I'm mistaken, ti looks like there's an application fee of $550, a Commercial Motor Vehicle Tax (CMVT) of $800 - covers 2 years -- an in addition - a requirement to become a Business Entity - either Partnership, Corporation or LLC.

If anyone has recently gone through the process of getting their NYC TLC Vehicle Licensed can you confirm the process? I say recently since some of these requirement may be new, so some may say it's not required only because it wasn't required when they applied.

P.S. Interesting how when signing up, Uber only talks about how much money you can make but doesn't seem to mention much about all the hidden expenses.

#3 ·
Since your handle is Lenny Yellow Cab I assume you're a Yellow Cab driver in NYC who is interested in discouraging anyone from becoming a Uber driver since it cuts into your revenue. In any event, your input doesn't answer my question.

#8 ·
If anyone happens to read this thread who is interested in the thread topic and has any helpful information TLC Vehicle Licensing fees and the need to incorporate, I'd be grateful to hear from you.

P.S. How people can derive pleasure from spreading their negativity across the internet, and here in particular, is beyond me.
No doubt they would claim they're being "helpful." I assume this is a forum for Uber drivers to answer each others questions and help each other. Hard to believe that within seconds of signing-up that 2 people already have decided to pounce and try to destroy any interest or enthusiasm one might have in becoming a Uber driver. What a world we live in. No doubt some have had bad experiences with Uber while other have had positive ones. As with all things -- Your Mileage May Vary!

#9 ·
For vehicle licensing you will have to purchase fh1 insurance first. $3,500-3,700 a year with a down payment of about 20% up front(this total will vary depending on when you buy it since all of these policies only run till February at which point you purchase policy for the following 12 months so it will be a pro rated amount. Application fee is $550 plus $75 if your car has more than 500 miles for inspection. I believe you can file your application as a sole proprietorship-- but not sure if anyone on here will clarify that.

#11 ·
What I would recommend before spending the money on putting tlc plates on your car is to opt for a rental and see for your self how much money you will be able to make. This varies wildly on the hours/days your willing/able to work.

Good luck
Thanks very much. I was aware of the App fee and Inspection. Do Uber drivers also have to pay the Commercial Motor Vehicle Tax (CMVT)? I believe certain classes of drivers pay it to TLC and others to the DMV and it's $800 for 2 years. I think the $550 App fee is the same 2 years later when it's the renewal fee. The other question is about that Incorporation requirement. Not sure if that is necessary. I didn't do the online app since I don't even have a car yet but I see there is a choice for Individual, as well as Corp, Partnership and LLC so maybe you can just do it that way. They form checklist is confusing and doesn't really have an explanation page. Also maybe you only have to pay the CMVT tax is your a corp, partnership or LLC. Did anyone have to pay this tax?

Yes, you are right and I definitely intend to rent for a few months before buying or leasing a car or anything requiring the plates but I like to know as much as I can before jumping in.

Also, if anyone would like to share where or with whom they are getting their insurance I would love to know. I'm sure there are a few places that might be better with lower rates. I imagine the DDC class with afford us the 10% discount -- or so I was told. If you have a good insurer you like in the NYC area, do let me know. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.