• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

TLC tickets at the airport, entrapment, and biased court

bnelsonte

I am about to pay the TLC fine in NYC.

I went to the trial where the OATH judge was clearly in TLC corner. I was entrapped as in saying "no" to a strange looking man at LGA who wouldn't leave and kept acting vulnerable as if he needed a break and have someone bail him out. There was no intent to solicit or active solicitation whatsoever.

In the response, TLC appeals court states that while entrapment like this can be challenged in other types of courts, in this case, it's an OK strategy to use. Anyway, it's $1500 for the first violation. I hear they offer a plea bargain for half the price if you come to court but accept not to go to trial (probably required by rules). I declined but had I known the crooked system I would have chosen to pay off the jackals.

So, if you are in similar circumstances intending to fight the ticket, beware of the 'fake' judges who adjudicate at the TLC building while favoring the agency and assume that everything written in the ticket is true (they had at least three inaccurate representations on mine).

There are always smart behinds out there acting judgy and above the rest. Please refrain from 'you deserve it' type of sociopathic response.

This is to spread the word. Justice does not prevail at TLC/OATH courts.

Last edited:

SuzeCB

So you're fine with breaking the law for a perfect stranger, so long as the look sad enough?

This exact scenario has been posted here over and over. It's well-known here that even if it looks like you might say "yes" next year, the TCL will ticket (be glad they didn't tow!). Even if you don't say yes, they will sometimes ticket because they jut want to. In that scenario, dashcam or phone video is your only chance. Even then, it may take an appeal process to win.

Good luck. Be more careful next time.

bnelsonte

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you're fine with breaking the law for a perfect stranger, so long as the look sad enough?

This exact scenario has been posted here over and over. It's well-known here that even if it looks like you might say "yes" next year, the TCL will ticket (be glad they didn't tow!). Even if you don't say yes, they will sometimes ticket because they jut want to. In that scenario, dashcam or phone video is your only chance. Even then, it may take an appeal process to win.

Good luck. Be more careful next time.
Breaking the law is evident to the experienced people. It's not so obvious to newbies, who end up in trouble in such as this. True culprits won't be stopped, just the naive ones. People are prone to falling for psychological manipulations. Whole nations have fallen victim to manipulators in chief. TLC uses some unfair practices and writes standard tickets, which are in some cases, not true representations of what happened. These types of fabricated inaccuracies is enough reason to dismiss such cases. But if you have a friendly judge who takes your word for it, you are good to send people into severe financial difficulties. These are highly unreasonable fines they impose. Who even allows them to do so?

Last edited:

SuzeCB

Breaking the law is evident to the experienced people. It's not so obvious to newbies, who end up in trouble in such as this. True culprits won't be stopped, just the naive ones. People are prone to falling for psychological manipulations. Whole nations have fallen victim to manipulators in chief. TLC uses some unfair practices and writes standard tickets, which are in some cases, not true representations of what happened. These types of fabricated inaccuracies is enough reason to dismiss such cases.
Ok. So fight it.

Seamus

Breaking the law is evident to the experienced people. It's not so obvious to newbies, who end up in trouble in such as this. True culprits won't be stopped, just the naive ones. People are prone to falling for psychological manipulations. Whole nations have fallen victim to manipulators in chief. TLC uses some unfair practices and writes standard tickets, which are in some cases, not true representations of what happened. These types of fabricated inaccuracies is enough reason to dismiss such cases. But if you have a friendly judge who takes your word for it, you are good to send people into severe financial difficulties. These are highly unreasonable fines they impose. Who even allows them to do so?
Sorry that happened to you. Yes, every experienced driver knows they entrap you and the Kangaroo court is absolutely one sided. If you say yes you are done. As SuzeCB said, be glad they didn't tow your car.

One tip for the future. Even if you say NO they are aggressive and might jump in your car. Once they are in you might get a ticket anyway even if you said no. Make sure you have a dashcam. NEVER keep your door unlocked which allows them to jump in. What I do to ensure this never happens, is as I approach the airport I explain to the pax what they do to us. I then tell them to not open the door, I will get out and open it for them. I then get out look around to see if someone is lurking then walk around and open the door for them like a chauffeur, so I can control when I open it and quickly close it behind them LOCKED. Once they are out and the door is closed and locked then I open the trunk. This way no undercovers can hop in my car.

Yes, they mainly get newbies who don't know any better and they are very aggressive. An expensive lesson.

UberBeemer

I am about to pay the TLC fine in NYC.

I went to the trial where the OATH judge was clearly in TLC corner. I was entrapped as in saying "no" to a strange looking man at LGA who wouldn't leave and kept acting vulnerable as if he needed a break and have someone bail him out. There was no intent to solicit or active solicitation whatsoever.

In the response, TLC appeals court states that while entrapment like this can be challenged in other types of courts, in this case, it's an OK strategy to use. Anyway, it's $1500 for the first violation. I hear they offer a plea bargain for half the price if you come to court but accept not to go to trial (probably required by rules). I declined but had I known the crooked system I would have chosen to pay off the jackals.

So, if you are in similar circumstances intending to fight the ticket, beware of the 'fake' judges who adjudicate at the TLC building while favoring the agency and assume that everything written in the ticket is true (they had at least three inaccurate representations on mine).

There are always smart behinds out there acting judgy and above the rest. Please refrain from 'you deserve it' type of B.S. If you got everything you call deserved for being the kind of sociopathic person that you are, you'd be somewhere uncomfortable. Sociopaths are detrimental to society at large.

This is to spread the word. Justice does not prevail at TLC/OATH courts.
What was the offense? Denying service? Street hailing? I don't see you indicated what they cited you for.

Seamus

What was the offense? Denying service? Street hailing? I don't see you indicated what they cited you for.
He got talked into taking the ride. Only TLC can pick up in NYC. Essentially you could call it street hailing as it can't be done through the app, or unliscensed driver.

Happens all the time to none TLC uber/Lyft drivers. They are very aggressive and will even jump into your car. You have to say no 12 different ways before they finally give up. Offer good money and a big sob story about why they need the ride.

Gonna be a cop every time.

Last edited:

bnelsonte

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unlicensed vehicle

Sorry that happened to you. Yes, every experienced driver knows they entrap you and the Kangaroo court is absolutely one sided. If you say yes you are done. As SuzeCB said, be glad they didn't tow your car.

One tip for the future. Even if you say NO they are aggressive and might jump in your car. Once they are in you might get a ticket anyway even if you said no. Make sure you have a dashcam. NEVER keep your door unlocked which allows them to jump in. What I do to ensure this never happens, is as I approach the airport I explain to the pax what they do to us. I then tell them to not open the door, I will get out and open it for them. I then get out look around to see if someone is lurking then walk around and open the door for them like a chauffeur, so I can control when I open it and quickly close it behind them LOCKED. Once they are out and the door is closed and locked then I open the trunk. This way no undercovers can hop in my car.

Yes, they mainly get newbies who don't know any better and they are very aggressive. An expensive lesson.
Thanks for taking time to show empathy and share a very valuable advice.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Sometimes if someone very is very polite and enters your car where you shouldn't be picking up, you gotta say "#($&*OFF!" get out of your car open the door and tell them to GTFO.

Because when they are trying to entrap you that's the only thing you can do some days. I've done it numerous times and i can't even fathom to guess how many of them were just people who wanted a taxi ride and got a face full of A-hole cab driver...

I've heard ticket writers begging and pleading not to kick them out after they jump in uninvited as well.

Unfortunately... the fastest way to clear your car is to be a total $(*% A-hole.

On uber/lyft in Florida i would start with a VERY RUDE GTFO and if that didn't work i'd open the door and tell them to GTFO. The risks are too high here on Scruber/gryft. Make sure it's loud enough to cause a scene without actually threatening violence.

Having a dash camera and telling them to get out (mean/rude/ whatever it takes) they second they enter *should* save you the massive ticket. And telling them your going to get physical and drag them out of the car if they don't %(%*&ing leave would probably be good to.

The good news is if they don't have a fare with you there's no risk of bad ratings and there is no way to complain about you to uber/lyft :biggrin:

ALSO

These are some more lesser known ways to get entrapped for an illegal pickup. They don't even have to be in your car. Sometimes they will walk up to you and ask you one of these questions. This is how i would answer these seemingly mundane questions random people have asked me if i was at the drop off area at an airport (especially if i could get a ticket)

How much to get to blank?/what's the price to get to blank?= no/I can't take you from this spot
(while out of context, you can't give tell them how much it would cost, as it can be construed as offering them a ride for the given price.)

Are you working?= "no"
(quick simple 2 letter answer, it doesn't matter if it's a lie, that's the ONLY way you can answer. Saying your "working" can be construed as being "on duty" as in available to take fares. This one is total horse $(*%)

Can i get in? = No

"Are you like a taxi?"= no i'm not, please go away

"My phone is dead and i have cash"= then go take a taxi

"I'm at the wrong airport and i need to get to Blank and i have $100 cash"="̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶$̶(̶*̶%̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶r̶a̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶d̶a̶y̶"̶ (Just kidding this will get you a ticket)

"sorry i don't have the proper insurance and permits to drive you good luck"

SuzeCB

He got talked into taking the ride. Only TLC can pick up in NYC. Essentially you could call it street hailing as it can't be done through the app, or unliscensed driver.

Happens all the time to none TLC uber/Lyft drivers. They are very aggressive and will even jump into your car. You have to say no 12 different ways before they finally give up. Offer good money and a big sob story about why they need the ride.

Gonna be a cop every time.
Hell, they hire actors, too!

They tried getting me once, when I dropped off at JFK...

I laughed so hard at the guy, his partner (that I wasn't supposed to notice) started laughing, too, and then the guy trying to con me did as well and just walked away.

Sometimes if someone very is very polite and enters your car where you shouldn't be picking up, you gotta say "#($&*OFF!" get out of your car open the door and tell them to GTFO.

Because when they are trying to entrap you that's the only thing you can do some days. I've done it numerous times and i can't even fathom to guess how many of them were just people who wanted a taxi ride and got a face full of A-hole cab driver...

I've heard ticket writers begging and pleading not to kick them out after they jump in uninvited as well.

Unfortunately... the fastest way to clear your car is to be a total $(*% A-hole.

On uber/lyft in Florida i would start with a VERY RUDE GTFO and if that didn't work i'd open the door and tell them to GTFO. The risks are too high here on Scruber/gryft. Make sure it's loud enough to cause a scene without actually threatening violence.

Having a dash camera and telling them to get out (mean/rude/ whatever it takes) they second they enter *should* save you the massive ticket. And telling them your going to get physical and drag them out of the car if they don't %(%*&ing leave would probably be good to.

The good news is if they don't have a fare with you there's no risk of bad ratings and there is no way to complain about you to uber/lyft :biggrin:

ALSO

These are some more lesser known ways to get entrapped for an illegal pickup. They don't even have to be in your car. Sometimes they will walk up to you and ask you one of these questions. This is how i would answer these seemingly mundane questions random people have asked me if i was at the drop off area at an airport (especially if i could get a ticket)

How much to get to blank?/what's the price to get to blank?= no/I can't take you from this spot
(while out of context, you can't give tell them how much it would cost, as it can be construed as offering them a ride for the given price.)

Are you working?= "no"
(quick simple 2 letter answer, it doesn't matter if it's a lie, that's the ONLY way you can answer. Saying your "working" can be construed as being "on duty" as in available to take fares. This one is total horse $(*%)

Can i get in? = No

"Are you like a taxi?"= no i'm not, please go away

"My phone is dead and i have cash"= then go take a taxi

"I'm at the wrong airport and i need to get to Blank and i have $100 cash"="̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶$̶(̶*̶%̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶r̶a̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶d̶a̶y̶"̶ (Just kidding this will get you a ticket)

"sorry i don't have the proper insurance and permits to drive you good luck"

tohunt4me

Illegal to accept cash ride

Totally legal to give FREE RIDE
and accept $100.00 tip.

( dont ask how i know)

When they hand you money asking is that enough, just shrug & smile. Say nothing.
Write no receipt.
If You name a price , its Not a tip.

Last edited:

Seamus

and accept $100.00 tip.

When they hand you money asking is that enough, just shrug & smile. Say nothing.
Write no receipt.
Just not the way it works at Nyc airport. You never leave the curb before your done. Forget justice, truth, and legality.

Since you don't leave the curb there is no free ride and tip. They don't hand you any money. Once they determine intent your done and forget a judge listening to anything you or your lawyer have to say. You have 2 choices, pay $750 and plead guilty before trail or go to trail to definitely be found guilty and pay $1500. If they decided to tow your car add another couple hundred dollars to it. Unfortunately there is no beating it. That is why experienced drivers know the routine and take steps to avoid problems! It's newbies who aren't prepared for their aggressiveness who get toasted.

Last edited:

RoWode12

and accept $100.00 tip.

( dont ask how i know)

Write no receipt.
If You name a price , its Not a tip.
What if they decide not to “tip?” Then you’re just giving free rides.