1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

TLC Plates New Jersey

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by KobayashiMaru, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Greetings.
    Does it make it less illegal (New Jersey) to run Uber with limo plates? How does one get them, and how much will insurance run?

Thanks
    Joe

2. BlackStallion

BlackStallion

Driving:
    UberX
    Most just get a NYC TLC which allows you to work in NJ at no additional cost. I believe the same is not possible vice versa though. I may be wrong.

3. NJDriver

NJDriver

Im going through this process right now of getting NYC TLC. Ive already built up a file of paperwork.

4. There isn't an NJ equivalent? How can someone who lives in NJ get TLC plates and registration?

5. NJDriver

NJDriver

An NJ Resident with an NJ license can get a NYC TLC license. You can register your NJ car in NY and get the TLC plates. Thats what Im doing now. I plan on turning in my package on Friday or Monday at the Staten Island TLC office. The LARGEST expense is the insurance which will run about 400 a month and they usually want 6 months up front.

As far as NJ is concerned they do have LIMO plates but they are nearly impossible to get. Lots of requirements that you the average Joe cant satisfy. On top of the LIMO plates, you have to be authorized to work in that specific town by municipal permit. Therefore, all drivers in NJ are illegal and if you get tickets Uber will pay for them and defend you with an experienced attorney. I have my tickets and have my court date scheduled BTW.

Uber will grant you Black Car and SUV status if you have NYC TLC plates and the right vehicle which is usually a Suburban. You can then operate in NJ, NY or CT with the NYC TLC plates as a BlackCar/SUV...with the Suburban and TLC plates.

http://www.driveubernyc.com/tlc/

6. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    I think it's a limo plate but it's been a zillion years since I lived in the tri state area.

7. atthehop

atthehop

8. NJDriver

NJDriver

The NJ LIMO plates are impossible to get. You can research it on the internet yourself, but the conclusion at the end of hours of google searching will be its not worth your time and lets say you do decide to go forward it would take months and you are likely to get declined. Just because you have NJ LIMO plates does not mean you can work in NYC unless you go through a process with the NYC TLC. In any event, its not worth your time unless you are in the business and know this is what you need to do. Just follow the NYC TLC process.

Now lets say you get pulled over and ticketed. Uber has your back. They will assign you a lawyer who goes through these scenarios all the time, Uber will pay the tickets and it will go on your DMV abstract. A lot of non-moving violations are on my abstract along with 1 moving violating. My insurance hasnt gone up or said they would non-renew me.

9. gmc

gmc

Driving:
    UberX
    Less illegal lol

10. jookco

jookco

11. DerBundes

DerBundes

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Your car needs the whole 9 yds to even make it east of the river: Insurance, plates, decals, inspection and license. Not sure if you can drive a TLC-able car with a Jersey license alone.

Jersey "OL-" plates are allowed in The City AS LONG AS IT IS A PRE-ARRANGED TRIP. Otherwise, you're not allowed to operate here.

TwoFiddyMile likes this.