TLC Plates for rent

Inshur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeotgon

Hello guys,

Newbie here in the NYC. I came across this guy telling me that he can rent his TLC plates for $150/week. The way it works is that he would register my car under his company’s name, and I could put the TLC plates on the car. Is this legit? Doable? I don’t want to do something illegal.

I moved to NYC with my nice cars from SF Bay Area, where I had a good limo business, Escalade ESV and Tesla Model S. It sucks that I cannot use my cars until the TLC ban is lifted.

Moved here because the wifey got accepted to Columbia MBA. Love the city tho. Already have my clients lined up who come to NYC from SF often, and some clients already in NY who come to Bay Area often.

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

Mikeotgon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Go to the DMV & TLC website. And don’t forget to call uber
Tnx. Already got my TLC license and registered my cars in NY state. Was bummed to find out I can’t get TLCs on them.

U should affiliate with a base with those types of cars and models.
Good idea. Would they be able to provide me with TLC plates? Otherwise, I can’t really work for them.

parbs

Hello guys,

Newbie here in the NYC. I came across this guy telling me that he can rent his TLC plates for $150/week. The way it works is that he would register my car under his company’s name, and I could put the TLC plates on the car. Is this legit? Doable? I don’t want to do something illegal.

I moved to NYC with my nice cars from SF Bay Area, where I had a good limo business, Escalade ESV and Tesla Model S. It sucks that I cannot use my cars until the TLC ban is lifted.

Moved here because the wifey got accepted to Columbia MBA. Love the city tho. Already have my clients lined up who come to NYC from SF often, and some clients already in NY who come to Bay Area often.

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

its fine all he is doing is renting out his tlc plates to you. basically you upkeep the car and other shit and he only rents/leases you his tlc plates. you can compare it sort of like a yellow medallion where two cabbies would just lease /rent medallion for x amount a week and they would supply car / insurance and their maintenance etc.

Mikeotgon

its fine all he is doing is renting out his tlc plates to you. basically you upkeep the car and other shit and he only rents/leases you his tlc plates. you can compare it sort of like a yellow medallion where two cabbies would just lease /rent medallion for x amount a week and they would supply car / insurance and their maintenance etc.
Got ya. Tnx for the input.

parbs

Got ya. Tnx for the input.
you have to realize one thing when you register the car to his companys name its technically his car, so you should have some paperwork to say if you don't want to rent the tlc plates that its your car and you want it back or something. I am no lawyer so you should get some advice form someone on that.

Lenny_yellow_cab

you have to realize one thing when you register the car to his companys name its technically his car, so you should have some paperwork to say if you don't want to rent the tlc plates that its your car and you want it back or something. I am no lawyer so you should get some advice form someone on that.
Not necessarily.

Registration will be under the guys company but Title will be under his name so he is still the owner

aluber1968

Make sure the title stays in your name or your company name.
If the title is transferred to his LLC he becomes the legal owner of your cars.
In NY title and registration can be in different names.

ffran347

Do the math and ask yourself is it a good idea? $150×4 is $600 a month in a year is about $7000 now who in their right mind will do that? You are covering all expenses why are you giving this guy $150 a week? Just submit an application in August pay the $600 and get your own plates. Giving how slow business is $150 is one days work.

Lenny_yellow_cab

Do the math and ask yourself is it a good idea? $150×4 is $600 a month in a year is about $7000 now who in their right mind will do that? You are covering all expenses why are you giving this guy $150 a week? Just submit an application in August pay the $600 and get your own plates. Giving how slow business is $150 is one days work.
I know alot of guys that wud do it.

If, and thats a big if, they lift the plan then he can simply get his own plates

Mikeotgon

Make sure the title stays in your name or your company name.
If the title is transferred to his LLC he becomes the legal owner of your cars.
In NY title and registration can be in different names.
Tnx.
Since I still finance the car, it will be impossible to have the title under his company’s name. Bank still owns it.

Well, it’s much better than renting two Escalades for $700/week each, which will run me $2800/month each. Also, I am not concerned about whether the Uber, Lyft is being slow or not since the 80% of my business comes from private clients. I already lost so many businesses including the holidays and January. Easily worth couple Ks.

TheTruthHurts

Why don’t you just register those vehicles with Westchester, Nassau, NJ or CT? I mean why get involved in something shady? You’ll make a little less but if you got a client list who cares where you pick up and drop off? Plus plenty of rich folks in those areas I listed that love those cars.

Also once the city lifts the ban, just transfer it back to NYC TLC plates?

Mikeotgon

Escalade

Tesla

Columbia

Want to TLC those cars in NYC

Somfing wong hea.
Haha. What do you Uber/Lyft rats know? I actually have a finance degree from top 10 business school and still decided to operate a limo-business because I figured out what most of you blue collar, non-educated idiots fail to do. There are plenty of business and a lot of money to be made, but you stick to your phone application. I made about $5k/ week easy in the Bay Area, and I am planning to do even more than that here. Don't believe me? Well, not my problem $12/hour guy!

Why don’t you just register those vehicles with Westchester, Nassau, NJ or CT? I mean why get involved in something shady? You’ll make a little less but if you got a client list who cares where you pick up and drop off? Plus plenty of rich folks in those areas I listed that love those cars.

Also once the city lifts the ban, just transfer it back to NYC TLC plates?
If I don't have the TLC plates, I cannot pick up from JFK and Laguardia! Makes sense? Even a newbie here knows the rules better than most of you. Asking you UBER PEOPLE here was a waste lol!

TheTruthHurts

Haha. What do you Uber/Lyft rats know? I actually have a finance degree from top 10 business school and still decided to operate a limo-business because I figured out what most of you blue collar, non-educated idiots fail to do. There are plenty of business and a lot of money to be made, but you stick to your phone application. I made about $5k/ week easy in the Bay Area, and I am planning to do even more than that here. Don't believe me? Well, not my problem $12/hour guy!

If I don't have the TLC plates, I cannot pick up from JFK and Laguardia! Makes sense? Even a newbie here knows the rules better than most of you. Asking you UBER PEOPLE here was a waste lol!
Good for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inshur New York