TLC plates DMV - Just bill of sale okay?

Inshur

masonfrombk

Hey I just purchased a car in CT and it's taking them a bit to get the title sent to me.

I know a bill of sale works for Uber base letter and the insurance company, but has anyone had experience going to the to DMV to get the plates without the title and just using the bill of sale to prove ownership.

I know there are time limits on some of the process so I don't want to start it and get caught without the title if anything happens with the idiot dealership. Thanks in advance for anyone's previous experience.

Littlepuppet

Is the car register in ny or ct ? If it’s register in ny you don’t need to show proof of ownership like the title the dmv will just look up the car and you can re register to get tlc plates . If however thee car register in ct then you have to wait for the title to come in

Hairytee

This is good to know. Been trying to find this out. I am considering buying a car from a dealership in Ohio that I found on Autotrader. My current car has TLC plates and will transfer them over if I buy this car, but was worried I would have to wait for the title which can take 4-6 weeks. Definitely puts a wrinkle in buying a car out of state but you save a LOT of money.

masonfrombk

I never received a title because i finance. Bill of sale is what they all took including tlc and dmv

That's good to know, but I'm still hearing conflicting answers. I called the DMV and he said I needed the title to prove ownership. But I was like the bill of sale does this?! Still as unsure as ever.

Hairytee

If I understand correctly, if the vehicle was purchased in NY state, the DMV can look it up. This makes sense because when I got my registration for my car back in March, I didn't have the title and they gave me the registration and TLC plates. HOWEVER, if you purchase the vehicle in a state other than NY, you will need the title. Not sure if this is correct, but based on comments above this might be the case. I will know in a few weeks if I need the title since I am purchasing a car out of state and plan on transferring my TLC plates to this car.

I
If I understand correctly, if the vehicle was purchased in NY state, the DMV can look it up. This makes sense because when I got my registration for my car back in March, I didn't have the title and they gave me the registration and TLC plates. HOWEVER, if you purchase the vehicle in a state other than NY, you will need the title. Not sure if this is correct, but based on comments above this might be the case. I will know in a few weeks if I need the title since I am purchasing a car out of state and plan on transferring my TLC plates to this car.
I bought my car from Hudson Toyota in New Jersey, only used the bill of sale at the dmv.

Inshur New York