• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

tlc plates delemma. please assist

Inshur

ubster

i currently bought out my lease and its currently fiance through Toyota fin. i got all the docs needed to get tlc plates. i went to dmv last week and they ask me for title. i don"t have title because there is a lien on it. i have to wait for the dealer to send the application in the Albany and that going to take 4-6 weeks.
Is there any other way to get plates on the vehicle faster??

unitxero

UBER Emp #2266971
In the state of new york you are always given the title even if there is a lien holder on it. Why don't you have the title? Is the car brand new or something?

VedSeh

If you went through Toyota fin. properly (they do all the paperwork for you and you drive out with your vehicle ready for the road. They do insurance / put plates on it etc.) This is if you tell them that the car will be TLC driven.
Most people don't do that and tell them it's for their personal use (for longer term financing / better rate) I'm guessing you went down that path.

I believe you can do it without having the title. You need it for TLC application but you can use Bill of Sale (in your name) instead:

Inshur website has a good explanation of the path you need to follow (I can't post it because I'm a brand new user)

FuberNYC

Here's my take on this subject....Dilemma understanding Delemma :wink::p:biggrin::smiles:
On a serious note, I'd suggest going back to TLC and try your luck again...my car registration was all I'd needed both times I'd registered my car with them

If you went through Toyota fin. properly (they do all the paperwork for you and you drive out with your vehicle ready for the road. They do insurance / put plates on it etc.) This is if you tell them that the car will be TLC driven.
Most people don't do that and tell them it's for their personal use (for longer term financing / better rate) I'm guessing you went down that path.

I believe you can do it without having the title. You need it for TLC application but you can use Bill of Sale (in your name) instead:

Inshur website has a good explanation of the path you need to follow (I can't post it because I'm a brand new user)
It's because it was a lease, you don't receive the title when you are leasing a vehicle.

VedSeh

Title for the leased vehicle will NEVER arrive. They don't issue it because you're not the owner, bank is. Bank gets the title.
You get the title only for purchased/financed vehicles. I've been leasing for 20 years, never had a title.

FuberNYC

Title for the leased vehicle will NEVER arrive. They don't issue it because you're not the owner, bank is. Bank gets the title.
You get the title only for purchased/financed vehicles. I've been leasing for 20 years, never had a title.
Exactly what I was saying...
Best bet is to try to go to TLC again with the registration and a proof that he's now financing the car...or he can wait until the title comes by mail, which takes about a month to two

VedSeh

I misread initial post. You have bought out your lease so the car is yours.
You don't have to wait for the title. You can get the plate letter from TLC with the Bill of Sale (if it's in your name.)
With plate letter you go to DMV and pick up your TLC plates.

ubster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its a vehicle that i leased since 2014 and i bought it out. thank you for your info.

I misread initial post. You have bought out your lease so the car is yours.
You don't have to wait for the title. You can get the plate letter from TLC with the Bill of Sale (if it's in your name.)
With plate letter you go to DMV and pick up your TLC plates.
i already got the plate letter with bill of sale. dmv is telling me i need title.

Damm....Seriously where do these newbie keep coming from
coming from out of ya mama

VedSeh

I've definitely picked up plates from DMV without a title. Actually title came few days later in the mail.

From INSHUR website:

"Step 6: Get your TLC plates and schedule an inspection (if needed)
You can now take the plate letter provided to you by the TLC, and your INSHUR insurance documents and bring it to a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) location to register your vehicle and get TLC plates! Put your plates on your vehicle and hit the road. Make sure you upload a copy of your registration to the INSHUR app. But wait, there’s one more step – if you purchase a used vehicle with more than 500 miles on the odometer, you will need to schedule an inspection – contact your base that you affiliated with to schedule an appointment."

jaybx17

I never possessed the title when doing all of the TLC paperwork, in fact the title came after inspection.

TheLurker

Your car is still showing up as a lease in their system at DMV. They run the vin number at DMV and they see that the car is still in the bank's name and not yours. Your dealer needs to file some paperwork to Albany so this can be updated.

chaloko10

I'm currently financing a car and still waiting for the permanent registration to arrive. My question is can I start the TLC plates process with just the bill of sale even if I don't have the permanent registration yet?

theitalian

You don't need to go to the DMW. Just get out of your house and you will find a car TLC plated in every street of NY. Take off one of this plate and put on your car. There is no difference anymore.... everybody has a TLC car.