TLC plate transfer guide

Inshur

Price_action

Hi guys, sorry in advance if it has been replied to, but i am just wondering how to go about. I currently have a newer higher end car that i bought back in mid 2018 and did ride share for about 6 months. Since January i have not done any ride share but i have been paying the insurance. for me currently the car payments and insurance comes to about $750 a month. I have a cousin of mine who wants to rent the car from me, but since it is a newer model and he is a new driver( less than 6 months experience) i am not comfortable renting my car to him, however i am entertaining the idea of buying a used car ($14K to $16k) and transfer my TLC plates and then rent it, if i do so how much time am i looking at before the car could hit the road and do ride share, also what precautions do i need to look at when shopping for a used hybrid. Any particular things or events i need to be aware of in future, In terms of mileage, make-model, TLc inspection issues, maintenance etc and also events such as removal of cap in future etc.
thank you to all, as i have been away for rideshare since Jan 2019, i am little out of touch with whats happening now-a-days.

FuberNYC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi guys, sorry in advance if it has been replied to, but i am just wondering how to go about. I currently have a newer higher end car that i bought back in mid 2018 and did ride share for about 6 months. Since January i have not done any ride share but i have been paying the insurance. for me currently the car payments and insurance comes to about $750 a month. I have a cousin of mine who wants to rent the car from me, but since it is a newer model and he is a new driver( less than 6 months experience) i am not comfortable renting my car to him, however i am entertaining the idea of buying a used car ($14K to $16k) and transfer my TLC plates and then rent it, if i do so how much time am i looking at before the car could hit the road and do ride share, also what precautions do i need to look at when shopping for a used hybrid. Any particular things or events i need to be aware of in future, In terms of mileage, make-model, TLc inspection issues, maintenance etc and also events such as removal of cap in future etc.
thank you to all, as i have been away for rideshare since Jan 2019, i am little out of touch with whats happening now-a-days.
Your monthly payment on another car will be much higher and here's why

1) You will need to get full coverage (that alone will cost you over 750 once you add someone with less than 6 months of driving xp)
2) You will have to add your cousin to your coverage (that alone will cost you over 750 once you add someone with less than 6 months of driving xp)
3) Your insurance will/could go up for many years if your cousin gets into an accident

In other words....I'd not do it.

durstlaw

I own a corporation that has a 2012 black Suburban TLC registered and plated. I want to sell the corporation with the car. I believe that enables the purchaser to use the plates and license immediately. Anyone interested?

VictorD

I own a corporation that has a 2012 black Suburban TLC registered and plated. I want to sell the corporation with the car. I believe that enables the purchaser to use the plates and license immediately. Anyone interested?
Awfully generous of you considering whoever buys it will have all of 6 months to drive the Suburban before the new rules for Uber Black are enacted and that Suburban will be busted down to an X/XL vehicle getting 6 MPG driving around NYC.

durstlaw

Your insight into what the new rules will say is probably as misinformed as your knowledge of the mileage that Suburbans get.

Ubar&lyft

Thanks for the info, quick question after dmv process I go to hub for base letter then to TLC office for inspection date? Or can I go to TLC website and set appointment for TLC inspection.

Ubar&lyft

What if u buy a new car in a family members name for you to work with anyone know how transfering your plates work then?
Easy go to dmv and fill a new registration form, take the person with u who's name is on the title, fill the registration form they will add u as a co owner this way u can register that car under ur name and transfer plates. I did same car was on my brother name we went to dmv filled that form and I was able to register car under my name and transferred the plates paid $10 fee.

Linkrz

I just bought a new car a few days ago and wanted to input my experience. i ditched my old insurance for a new one and then sent the dealer my "ID card and binder" after that we went into the finance room and they transferred the new insurance to the new car and my old tlc plates. I asked why it was so simple and they told me that the dealerships now a days are directly connected to the DMV and it's less of a hassle, much easier now to do these transfers.

FuberNYC

This is hilarious, now that got a new car...I had to go back to page 1 to my original post to refresh my memories on how to transfer plates. ?‍♂

Suism

Anyone here got custom plates recently? I’m thinking about getting it but I need a realistic eta on how long it would take along with downtime days

MugumTenzin

I've recently traded cars and was unable to get any information on our forums and thought I'd share my experience with those who need assistance with plate transfer (aka vehicle transfer)

1) Keep your old plates when you trade cars unless you want a spanking new T740+ and pay those ridiculous fees all over again.
2) Pay your dealer a little extra to expedite the registration process for the new vehicle (it normally takes 3 days, depending on the dealer)
3) Get a regular DMV plate and insurance in the meanwhile
4) Once you get the registration, go to your TLC insurance broker and have it transferred to the new car. It can take a few hours + $45 (depending on your broker)
5) Go to your base and get a TLC appointment with a base letter signed (Uber calls it vehicle transfer)
6) Head to DMV and register your TLC plates ($25) and surrender the regular plates. They should give you a new registration right away
7) Pay $20.00 + $0.78 at TLC for the transfer and get an appointment for the visual inspection. (Go to S.I. office if your base can't find you an early appointment with LIC office, it saved me 5 days)
8) It will cost you $75 for the visual inspection if your car has more than 500 miles

Hope this helped
Hello brother..
I’ve some questions regarding trasfer, Hope i can get some ideas here.
I’ve a uber TLC car. But i’m planning to move to different state. Is there any way to trasfer/sell my tlc registered car to my uncle. He doesn’t have a car but he is an uber driver.
Basically i want to sell my car with the tlc plate to my uncle. Is it possible?

FuberNYC

Hello brother..
I’ve some questions regarding trasfer, Hope i can get some ideas here.
I’ve a uber TLC car. But i’m planning to move to different state. Is there any way to trasfer/sell my tlc registered car to my uncle. He doesn’t have a car but he is an uber driver.
Basically i want to sell my car with the tlc plate to my uncle. Is it possible?
You can't but if it's your uncle, you could just leave it under your name and charge him rent
Post automatically merged:

Anyone here got custom plates recently? I’m thinking about getting it but I need a realistic eta on how long it would take along with downtime days
I made a guide for that too, it's pretty unpredictable how long that visual inspection would take

1) Think of what you would like your vanity plate to be first
2) Call 518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
3) Wait 10 to 15 days for the registration to come by mail
4) Wait 30-45 days for the plates to arrive by mail
5) Go to Uber and get the application for plate transfer and a TLC appointment for plate transfer
6) Go to TLC and pay $0, they don't charge you for changing to custom plates for the first time ($25 each time you change plates after that)
7) You will need to do a visual inspection again and get new diamonds

8) Contact all of your bases and have them update to your new plates before accepting any requests.

Last edited:

FuberNYC

Update:

I've done nothing different other than setting up an appointment with TLC online and going to Uber Hub the day before to get my signed base letter. Worth noting:

1) Fee for any used car with over 500 miles: $100
2) Visual Inspection: Try to get an early morning appointment with TLC and you should get a visual inspection appointment for same day.

I had as little as 2 days downtime for transferring plates this time around.

Suism

Update:

I've done nothing different other than setting up an appointment with TLC online and going to Uber Hub the day before to get my signed base letter. Worth noting:

1) Fee for any used car with over 500 miles: $100
2) Visual Inspection: Try to get an early morning appointment with TLC and you should get a visual inspection appointment for same day.

I had as little as 2 days downtime for transferring plates this time around.
So you’re already driving your new car?

Suism

Yep, worked today for a couple hours, just to see what the mpg in real normal day to day working would be like
I saw your new car then. I must admit, you’re the only reason why I would ever look into getting a Hyundai lol how’s the noise level going over belt

FuberNYC

I saw your new car then. I must admit, you’re the only reason why I would ever look into getting a Hyundai lol how’s the noise level going over belt
You did? I pimped my ride already, it's pretty stealthy and does not look anything like a TLC car. I thought I saw you driving by me this morning, it was a black 18 Accord but it had T78 so I wasn't sure if it was you.

Car is super quiet, I can hear the engine and tire noise from the car next to me but nothing from my car