Tis the season to be....CHEAP

AshyLarry81

Is it just me or does it seem like people tip less during the summer? Since I've been only driving with Lyft since late last year, it's tough for me to say cause of the small sample size. Just recently, I even remember making two stops for this one girl and helped her up when she slipped and fell on the ground and hurt her elbow. NO TIP from her either. Other theories include:

1) More Uber riders now finding out about Lyft and they're conditioned to not tip any drivers, whether it's Uber, Lyft, or yellow cab.
2) I'm becoming more jaded and cynical about the general cheapness of people and therefore, showing it in my attitude even though I may not sense it myself.

All I can say is thank goodness I haven't wasted any money or effort on gum, mints, water, opening doors, etc cause I get the general sense from this website that none of that matters either. Any thoughts?

2) I'm becoming more jaded and cynical about the general cheapness of people and therefore, showing it in my attitude even though I may not sense it myself.
hey, yes, same feeling here about tips.
im surprised i also thought of your reason number two affecting my tips results. i hear folks online and lyft drivers i pick up being satisfied with their tips results.
Im in boston and id like to hear how lyft drivers are really doing out here in the summer, right now im averaging 10% in tips in my weekly $ summary. yesterday i did $95 in fares (only lyft, i drive both) and tips were $3. :confused:.

iMakeTheMaps

All I can say is thank goodness I haven't wasted any money or effort on gum, mints, water, opening doors, etc cause I get the general sense from this website that none of that matters either. Any thoughts?
I was doing the water/candy thing in the beginning and saw no real benefit, so I stopped. Nothing has changed in my tip rate, only one person mentioned water and I said something about my last group taking all of them.

Opening doors is easy for me, because I drive a mini-van and the side doors are powered. I will also get out and open the tailgate if someone has a bunch of stuff to put in the back, but that's mainly because I don't want the PAX slamming my tailgate when they close it. I will get out and pop the middle seats up to allow easier access to the back on arrival and drop-off, but again that's mostly because I don't want people climbing all over my car and messing things up. I will help a single lady, or ladies, load/unload or step down out of the car, but guys are on their own.

Airport is a different situation, I want to be in and out quick, so anything I can do to make that happen I do.

I don't think any of this affects my tip rates, I just do it for my own benefit.

AshyLarry81

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hey, yes, same feeling here about tips.
im surprised i also thought of your reason number two affecting my tips results. i hear folks online and lyft drivers i pick up being satisfied with their tips results.
Im in boston and id like to hear how lyft drivers are really doing out here in the summer, right now im averaging 10% in tips in my weekly $ summary. yesterday i did $95 in fares (only lyft, i drive both) and tips were $3. :confused:.
You're doing better than me, although not by a lot. 8.3% of my total revenue come from tips and about 35% of my passengers tip. However, I'm currently on a very bad non-tipping streak. One out of my last 11 pax have tipped (and that one was $1).