Tire Damage Driving in Newark, The Oranges and Irvington. New Jersey

jerseycrooner

I live in Livingston and 60 - 70% of my rides lately are to Newark, The Oranges and Irvington. I've had four (4) tire punctures in 6 weeks driving in those areas. Three of these punctures were from discarded nails/screws and required patches; and one puncture was from a sharp large piece of metal like a spearhead which was so bad and large I had to pay for a full replacement tire this morning at COSTCO.

The bottom line is that I cannot drive in these areas anymore because of the risk of tire blowouts. Does anyone else have the same experience in Newark and vicinity? The tire guys at COSTCO in East Hanover told me this morning to stay off the Newark Streets and its vicinity because they regularly have cars coming in with tire blowouts attributable to these areas.

uber.duper

I live in Livingston and 60 - 70% of my rides lately are to Newark, The Oranges and Irvington. I've had four (4) tire punctures in 6 weeks driving in those areas. Three of these punctures were from discarded nails/screws and required patches; and one puncture was from a sharp large piece of metal like a spearhead which was so bad and large I had to pay for a full replacement tire this morning at COSTCO.

The bottom line is that I cannot drive in these areas anymore because of the risk of tire blowouts. Does anyone else have the same experience in Newark and vicinity? The tire guys at COSTCO in East Hanover told me this morning to stay off the Newark Streets and its vicinity because they regularly have cars coming in with tire blowouts attributable to these areas.
The roads are low on my already long list of reasons not to drive those areas, but I feel your pain.

I've been lucky thus far on my current car, but I'm sure winter will kill me. My last two cars had run flats which are nice except that the replacement cost is so high I ended up paying for tire insurance. On the one car I used it so many times it paid for itself many times over, but on my last car I never used it and kicked myself pretty much daily.

I've already been considering what to do this winter. I don't plan to drive for uber once the ice and snow hit because my car is RWD, but I live in a pothole ridden area so even local driving will be problematic. I'm debating getting a second set of tires and paying for some type of manufacturer's or Firestone type replacement plan, but the added cost of mounting and balancing twice a year is a turn off. It's quite possible I'll just exclusively use our AWD car and leave the winter drift racing to hubby lol. About 10 years ago, I had a RWD C class and it was literally a death trap even with multiple sandbags in the trunk so I'm kind of traumatized.

jerseycrooner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The roads are low on my already long list of reasons not to drive those areas, but I feel your pain.

I've been lucky thus far on my current car, but I'm sure winter will kill me. My last two cars had run flats which are nice except that the replacement cost is so high I ended up paying for tire insurance. On the one car I used it so many times it paid for itself many times over, but on my last car I never used it and kicked myself pretty much daily.

I've already been considering what to do this winter. I don't plan to drive for uber once the ice and snow hit because my car is RWD, but I live in a pothole ridden area so even local driving will be problematic. I'm debating getting a second set of tires and paying for some type of manufacturer's or Firestone type replacement plan, but the added cost of mounting and balancing twice a year is a turn off. It's quite possible I'll just exclusively use our AWD car and leave the winter drift racing to hubby lol. About 10 years ago, I had a RWD C class and it was literally a death trap even with multiple sandbags in the trunk so I'm kind of traumatized.
Tire damage and repair cost is a major issue for me in low income areas. The people in Newark have been great but the hazardous junk on the streets of Newark has made me decide to avoid this whole area. I've been lucky so far in that I could drive my car home with the low pressure light on. However if I continue driving there I am sure my luck will run out and I will have a full blowout in a crime ridden area. No thanks Uber!

Slim Pete

Getting lifetime alignment from Firestone has been a good decision for me so far.

uber.duper

Lifetime alignment sounds good. Do you have s price from Firestone?
I know nothing about it really since I'd gone through the dealer previously as it included rim repair. I don't think my current dealer even offered it and I wasn't gonna ask lol. I've read people talk about replacement plans from Firestone (I believe) and tire manufacturers (I also believe) on other forums but I'm not in the seriously considering options phase yet so I haven't researched for myself. I know a lot of people also get the Firestone credit card supposedly for rewards or some other perks. I never am diligent enough to pay the balances fast enough for savings not to be cancelled out by interest so that's definitely not for me lol.

uber.duper

Tire damage and repair cost is a major issue for me in low income areas. The people in Newark have been great but the hazardous junk on the streets of Newark has made me decide to avoid this whole area. I've been lucky so far in that I could drive my car home with the low pressure light on. However if I continue driving there I am sure my luck will run out and I will have a full blowout in a crime ridden area. No thanks Uber!
Reminds me of the time I was in college driving my trailblazer in the neighboring city of Trenton and my ball joint broke leaving me stranded alone at night in the middle of the street. Fun times.

UberwhoIaM

Reminds me of the time I was in college driving my trailblazer in the neighboring city of Trenton and my ball joint broke leaving me stranded alone at night in the middle of the street. Fun times.
You must have been like me when I was younger, ignore all the signs and sounds that your ball joint is bad till your wheel is laying sideways. I can't stress AAA plus insurance. You get up to 3 free tows per year and they will drive you and the car anywhere up to 100 miles. Beats any other insurance of its type since most will only tow max of 3-5 miles free. I even have free towing with my car insurance and still buy AAA...:-)

JR. Driver

I don't drive in the streets of Newark is dangerous in the first place ... Now the roads it self became dangerous no way no how am I diving around Newark especially the south and west Ward are the worst.

Roy1969

I've become familiar with these towns since I started... I always have my apps off while driving through but cant help it if the destination is one of these towns.

I grew up in Brooklyn, and recall that sometimes these nails and other objects are placed on the road by the flat fix guys.... lOl!

UberSchmuber

Hate to say it but PA (sans Philly) does a much better job maintaining their roads. When I went down there to get my PennDOT sticker, they were smooth as silk.

MaximusMurkimus

Irvington has been getting many of their roads paved so that's reassuring, but moment you step into Newark it feels like I'm on an ancient Roman cobblestone path.

DerBundes

Driving in Jersey, is like driving on the moon...
Ever driven on Washington Avenue-Hoboken, or west of Marin Blvd?! Ever picked up anyone from Liberty Park? Them cobblestones will do a number on your vehicle!

The City's not as bad, but roads like Grand Concourse by my house or sections of the FDR? It makes you wonder if local authorities leave some roads unpaved to keep everyone at 25MPH.

UberJoe427

The roads in NJ are horrible ,Lost a front spring on Haynes Ave in Newark just off 1&9 ramp .I feel you pain brother.