Tips

DriversAreMean

My tips have dropped way off; from "rare" to "practically nonexistent."
Maybe you need to up your service level just a bit?
Post automatically merged:

Silly question. If these drivers knew that there was some kind of technical problem then they would not be asking why tips seemed fewer.

My score on Uber used to hover around 4.82 but then my stereo broke and it rose to 4.94. This can only mean that pax generally have poor taste in music and did not like my tunes. Tips were not affected and did not increase, though.

I have noticed that early airport runs have the best chance of yielding a tip. Also, rides on which the pax feels that we "connected" and had a good conversation.
I would pay you not to connect

Wildgoose

Is anybody else not getting tipped even though the ride was fine? This is happening to often. I suspect Uber is robbing tips.
Nowadays, there are more of riders who don't own a car ( that means low income riders ) so they won't tip you except riders who cannot purchase car legally ( illegal aliens who needs transportation for sometimes ).
Being aware of Covid-19, people who own cars are now driving their cars to commute, unfortunately most of those are tippers.

Denver Dick

i received a “tip” yesterday that the filly would win the Preakness today...so i bet $25 to win on her at 11-1 odds...best tip in the last year!!

not sure if its somehow related or connected. But I did the uber survey and all day yesterday seemed to be receiving tips... maybe its a fluke but I went from not seeing any tips for months to all of a sudden getting tips on every trip. No my driving an vehicle habit have not changed. I always keep mine clean and drive within safety guidelines for the road. just weird or highly coincidental.

also just to add, my market is NY, and surges here are displayed in dollar amounts, what's strange is that yesterday surges were reading as 1.50 to 3.50 but on completion of trips when I checked payments they were showing as 12 to 18 dollars under promotions. I haven't updated my app in a bit, but did ny go back to multipliers format or something. I'm not complaining just more curious if there is a better explanation, I drive overnight but this is probably the second time I have notice this occurrence as generally the surge in whole dollars just adds the amount on the end of the breakdown.

Last edited:

mrpjfresh

That wasn't my experience until I returned to pax this week. It's unbelievable.
My tips have dropped way off; from "rare" to "practically nonexistent."
I'm in a tourist market so tips definitely skew in the favorable direction, but I've noticed a slight decline as well. I think the obvious answer is less disposable income these days along with the classic answers (Uber's high cut, letting riders off the hook, etc).

One thing that I was thinking about in particular, however, was cash tips. I have had 2 weekends back (not a huge sample size, granted, and the majority of rides were surged) but have only received 2 cash tips out of around 100 rides. This is certainly way off. Is it a faux pas these days to pay in cash or even tip in cash because of the virus? Are more drivers refusing cash tips? There is also a national coin shortage here so maybe people are carrying less cash? Masks making things more impersonal? Idk. I just thought it was interesting as pre-Covid my cash tip stack was decent like a waitress or stripper or something.

One other thing I was curious about. Does anyone actually go through every tip after the end of a shift and "thank rider"? Tacky or helpful in distressing repeat tipping?

Denver Dick

I'm in a tourist market so tips definitely skew in the favorable direction, but I've noticed a slight decline as well. I think the obvious answer is less disposable income these days along with the classic answers (Uber's high cut, letting riders off the hook, etc).

One thing that I was thinking about in particular, however, was cash tips. I have had 2 weekends back (not a huge sample size, granted, and the majority of rides were surged) but have only received 2 cash tips out of around 100 rides. This is certainly way off. Is it a faux pas these days to pay in cash or even tip in cash because of the virus? Are more drivers refusing cash tips? There is also a national coin shortage here so maybe people are carrying less cash? Masks making things more impersonal? Idk. I just thought it was interesting as pre-Covid my cash tip stack was decent like a waitress or stripper or something.

One other thing I was curious about. Does anyone actually go through every tip after the end of a shift and "thank rider"? Tacky or helpful in distressing repeat tipping?
i thank the rider everytime ..so maybe rider knows we appreciate the tip and they tip the next driver as well

Benjamin M

I do, if it's over $1 🙄

I miss when Eats was hot here. Everyone tipped well. And I made a point to thank each and every one.

We're not a tourist market but tips (cash or app) were the norm before the virus. Most of my trips were local, people going out to eat or visiting friends. The majority tipped.

Now - to and from work, grocery stores, and picking up their car at the shop. Seldom tipped, mainly because that class of pax views Uber as the bus. They use it every day or only booked a trip to get their own car back. They were the minority for me before, now the majority.

Benjamin M

Update to the above.

Picked up two Top Golf associates yesterday, in the hood, and a 15 minute trip to get there.

One mentioned how the day before she was late to work and it cost too much - likely because the few drivers out declined the ping.

The other was thankful for me picking them up faster than usual lately. Then they had a conversation about tips at work, how good they've been lately.

Narurally, they gave me a decent tip, right? 😂

Once again, "ride to work, no need to tip" mentality. But I did earn $160 in four hours by accepting every ping, huge surges and $12 for 2 trip promo. Whopping $6 in tips.

UbaBrah

People aren't tipping for shit. But daddy Dara always comes through.

1603547009807.JPEG

FLKeys

Some of my tip stats:

201820192020 YTD
Number of Trips84018851140
Percent of rides that tipped48%50%41%
Percent of revenue17%15%13%
Number of riders that said I will tip in appN/A7412
Percent that didN/A51%58%

I started tracking riders that said they would tip in the app in 2019 so that data is not available for 2018.

Five Stars

I had a lady try and tip me in the app this weekend. A message stated "Sorry, something went wrong" on her app when she applied the tip. She tried to tip twice and both times, same message, so she gave me cash instead. I haven't contacted Uber support yet, but will do as I believe this is happening a lot as my percentage of tips is way down lately as well.

Of my 37 rides, only 6 in-app tips (16.2%) and 4 cash tips. Usually, I am at approx 35%+ tips per week and most of the previous 3 months before October, i was getting 50%+.