Tips

karma car

Agreed, BUT, it will not happen. We are all human and all subject to greed. Uber encourages the greed by making it easy to avoid tipping. I drove a guy for over an hour and, in addition, stopped so he could get a sandwich. When I dropped him off he said thanks and walked away.
From what I've read, Uber wants to make it cheaper than a bus!
You cannot win this game but you can eliminate some of the absurdity by refusing rides that don't make sense, like any pick up thats more than 10 minutes away, or stopping at stores so they can shop on your dime.
It's funny, of the few tips I have received, they came from people who were not the upper income types. Capitalism can be very cold..
Don't worry about the rating. 5 stars gets you nothing!

eyewall

Don't get too excited. I am finding people are so not used to tipping that it rarely happens, even in the app. This is the case with Lyft so far anyway.

eyewall

well it seems some people are starting to tip which is nice. It definitely added a bit to my earnings on Sat during brewfest etc.

com1padres

Tips came out in the app in July and I have done okay with them as a part time driver. The night of the Primus concert, I had $38 total over 4 trips (cash tips). Since they came out, I have received $94 in app on top of $1700 in fares, so it is about a 5.5% tip rate overall. Its not the 20% we would like to see, but I drove a taxi here in 1989 and tips then were unheard of. Everyone magically seemed to have exact change back then.

eyewall

I took a chance on a trip to Stowe, to the actual resort. Of course they didn't tip despite staying at a $400 a night hotel.

karma car

I took a chance on a trip to Stowe, to the actual resort. Of course they didn't tip despite staying at a $400 a night hotel.
That's incredible but not surprising. I've had worse. It's not acceptable and its an example of the low esteem that Uber (and many riders) has for its drivers . They should put the destination on the screen ,before you accept the trip, or at least, ask if your willing to drive for an hour.
All that time & expense for min wage.