Tips / Passenger Fare vs Driver Pay Awareness

JustTreatMeFair

I know we all desire to be tipped. Especially those that invest in maintaining a nice ride.

I picked up an Ozone Generator that I use in the car periodically and people always comment on how new/fresh it smells (112,461 miles at moment). I also maintain a membership and wash it almost daily. Sometimes twice in a day. Full Detail every 15,000 miles with leather treatment.

So it is disappointing to see passengers not tip.

I've discussed it a few times with passengers and there is a pretty universal idea that during surge that THEY are experiencing WE are getting a lions share like in the old days.

Print and laminate the section from the news where Uber acknowledges how they are lowering drivers compensation while increasing charges to passengers. Place it where it can be seen.

We have to quit condemning the passengers for they are ignorant. If they are paying $45 today for a ride that normally costs them $9 (and is probably paying you $12 today) I think it should be expected for them to resist tipping.

Educate them instead of damning them.

No one other than us has a vested interest in doing so.

I tried to get through to the KLBJ talk show hosts as they were discussing the strike the other day. They incorrectly believe the drivers are making a much larger share of the fare and showed little support or compassion for what driver's striking are dealing with. They simply think we are greedy.

The vast majority of passengers believe WE are the ones they are paying the inflated fares to.

Ziggy

The vast majority of passengers believe WE are the ones they are paying the inflated fares to.
Best bet is to show the pax how much you made on each trip ... generally, when I show them how much I made and then when they see that they paid 2-4x what I got paid, they generally give me a decent tip after the fact. And sometimes, I say "thanks for the $38 trip ... I wonder how much Uber/Lyft charged you" ... which also prompts the pax to look at their receipt; and often that prompts them to give me a tip.

Many drivers want to "hide" how much they got paid for the trip ... but I prefer to highlight how much I got paid because I know, in most cases, Uber/Lyft took 40-70% of the money paid by the pax. And it's only through educating pax that we can highlight how much Uber/Lyft are taking.

tcc83

I showed a pax the $10 I made on his ride. He paid $17 for the ride. His response was “whoa you just made $10 in less than 15 minutes. That $40 an hour!!” Of course I waited 45 minutes for that ride in the summer heat.

There are varying opinions on the best way to mobilize but I still say tipping is the way to go. I would love legislation that would ensure that we get at least 75% of the fare or something similar but I won’t hold my breath. Striking just won’t work. The one narrative we have some control over is tipping. 1 tip on 12 rides in the rain had me quite discouraged last Friday. I think people were paying surge and were thinking I was getting rich.

Ziggy

I think people were paying surge and were thinking I was getting rich.
I just tell them that likely Uber gouged them on the surge, while only giving me an extra $3 ... and then tell them if they would have used RideAustin their trip would have been about 1/2 as much and that they should download RideAustin from the App/Play store. Every day 50% of my pax download RideAustin while they're in the car with me, whether or not they'll use it is another story, but I make it a point of accepting almost every RideAustin trip even the X trips ... whereas on L/U I only take premium rides.

tcc83

I’ll drive again tonight and will probably do another 10-12 rides. I doubt there will be many surges so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the $5 in tips I got last Friday.

JustTreatMeFair

It would not surprise me that tips did not make the way to drivers all the time.

I've always found it interesting that if I am logged in, for hours and sometimes days I get notifications of tips being received. If I log out or go off line they seem to immediately stop. strange huh?

tcc83

Seems to be the case for me too. I would like to hear from drivers that drive M-F then keep the app off on the weekend. How often do you get a tip over the weekend?

Ziggy

Seems to be the case for me too. I would like to hear from drivers that drive M-F then keep the app off on the weekend. How often do you get a tip over the weekend?
18 rides this weekend ... 10 tips. (100% RA pax tipped, 50% Lyft pax tipped, 40% Uber pax tipped). But since I generally do Select/Premium+, my results are likely not typical.

tcc83

Yeah, those pax are always going to be better tippers and less annoying to deal with. Did 5 rides today with one tip. Always seems to be right around 20% for pool/x.....which is pathetic. When I’m doing airport rides, a higher percentage tip. Business people vs drunk hipsters.

Universal Driver

And just like that 13 rides and 2 tips
5/15

Had good rides with all my passengers

You just cant gage whether or not it's going to be a good tipping day or not

tcc83

Tippers tip. Non tippers don’t. Nothing about the ride usually changes anything. Sad but it really disincentivizes good service. Every x ride is an 80% chance of no tip. Just get them where they are going as quickly as possible and move on.

pootboy

lecturing passengers about my low pay doesn't seem all that pragmatic to me, at 2am on 6th. it sounds like a great way to get a bunch of 1-star ratings, unforch. i'd much rather see uber, at the very least, raise the short ride floor from 3 to 5 bucks. but I'd be a lot happier with $7. dealing with the bullshit we deal with hunting down drunk, bratty college kids for $3 a ride is pretty [email protected] soul-crushing.

Last edited:

Steve_TX

... i'd much rather see uber, at the very least, raise the short ride floor from 3 to 5 bucks.

Ahhh, the good ol’ days of 2015 and 2016! Back then, our cut of a minimum fare was $5. Those were the days.

But nowadays, we get badges instead. :p