Tips in Jacksonville vs other areas in FL

Did you know Uber now allows drivers to post signs stating tups are not included but are accepted?

• Total voters
I was in the Tampa area (st. Pete and clear water to be exact) for a cpl weeks due to the passing of a family member. While there I drove in between the services and spending time with family. I made DOUBLE the money I make in Jax and received tips on at least 50% of my trips. Then I come back to Jax, work twice as much for half the money. Why doesn't Jax tip? Uber now let's us put up signs informing riders that tips are not included in the fare. I mounted a tablet on the pax side headrest with scrolling images that include thank you to service members, please rate. 5 stars, tips not included or required but are appreciated, don't drink and drive, buckle up for safety ect.... buy still in the 2 weeks I have been back only received maybe $5 in tips, I made $60 in one night down in st.pete. When you google tipping uber drivers several articles come up telling people they should tip uber. Your paying far less then a cab or shuttle and yet they are tipped. From now on if a driver doesn't tip then no 5 star rating, if they make me wait and don't tip, 3 stars, if they make me wait, ask to stop at store, tip a few bucks 5 STARS. DRIVERS STOP RATING 5 STARS FOR NO TIP!!! The riders will figure out when there ratings drop and drivers are not accepting there pick up requests. And don't be afraid to inform riders that ask about tips or ratings. Educate them, they will most likely get home and Google it and see that tipping will keep thier ratings high. And put up a simple sign, tips not included or required but greatly appreciated. Maybe you won't get a tip this time but hopefully people will research or Google it and then tip the next time. If they say they would like to tip but don't have cash here are 2 great options, 1. Get a square card reader IT'S FREE. 2. Make a paypal.me account IT'S ALSO FREE. If drivers continue to except the status quo then the riders will never change. If every rider tipped ONLY 1 DOLLAR it would make a huge difference. I don't know about the rest of the drivers but without tips after expenses I'm lucky to make $5 an hour. Also when driving people that are in the service industry politely inform them that UBER MISLEAD RIDERS by saying the tip was included and the courts forced them to admit it, ask them to tell thier friends coworkers and customers. I have found that others in the service industry are comfortable talking about tips and will gladly tell others. We need to get the word out.

UberJohnJax

Oh I've been dealing with this since I started with uber almost a year ago. Jacksonville 20 somethings will NEVER TIP and it seems the only people who do are males or married couples. Such a shame that the younger generation doesn't know it's customary to tip in any situation especially for car service. It's already cheaper then a regular medallion cab which you would think they would tip more because of it. Out of 100 trips I literally only remember maybe 10% of people tipping. But I am with you ...if I wait to long and here is no tip I automatically 3 star them or lower....also, without being to rude I try to mention tip isn't included but it's usually when the rider and I start talking about it and seems to work because my rating is still 4.96 ... I don't see this changing anytime soon as people are fed with silver spoons who use uber at times.

_MrBeal99

I don't know why Uber just doesn't get with the program and put a tip option in the app. I don't know how many times customers have said they want to tip but don't have cash and do I take a credit card. Fux. I average about 40 dollars in tips a week but that could quadruple with that function in the app.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Order a Square card reader and or set up a paypal.me account. Who doesn't have paypal nowadays? You can even create your own QR code that customers can scan and it will take them right to your page and they can select the amount. I think the most important thing is spreading the word. Stay safe

_MrBeal99

Thinking about that seriously. Real interested in that QR code where could I set something like that up? Would be better if Uber stop jacking around and just put the function in the app.

Search Google play or iTunes for a QR generator app. TheRe are dozens of them, there free and once you download the app it takes about a minute then print up the code or even pull it up on your phone and the passenger can scan it right off your screen.

YW. Also you can search youtube how to create a QR code and there are videos that walk you through it. But it really is very simple and takes only seconds to compmete.

Yes that's the whole point, when you create it you type in your link to the paypal.me page, then all anyone has to do is scan the code and it pulls you page up.

UberJohnJax

1 is a little harsh.
I think a 1 star is harsh yes ....but if there isn't a tip combined with the pax being a complete @@@@@@ then ...1 it is.

Today I went on a 1 star rampage because I'm sick of people telling me that Uber actually states that the 5 star rating is our tip. As mentioned before...you know gator city or other transports are two times as much,...so how the hell and why the hell would you think s tip is within your fare? Furthermore, Uber needs to add an option for Pax to tip when they rate us. Granted I will not be driving for Uber too much longer but I feel for those trying to make a living on it. If anything I will only drive few nights a week for beer money :smiles:

13 trips today. 1 $2 tip, rediculas. Especially since Uber up their commission to 25%. I'm heading my vehicle inspected by Lyft tomorrow.

OP-Uber

ok, so i have read your advice on the paypal.me and curious as to which account to set up. the F&f or the G&s??? If you are using the F&f, does the Pax know about if it comes back as a discrepancy on their paypal account? Just verifying before proceeding with this wonderful idea on generating tips for fellow non-cash carrying riders.

I use frI ends & family. Not sure what you mean about discrepancies. My dad has paid me thru it for buying stuff for him and it just shows as money sent to my first name.

OP-Uber

Based on the paypal site, F&f is just that, and if they see payments occur from different people throughout a time frame, then it is seen as business transactions and not just receiving a payment from a family or friend. Be safe!