• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Tips concern

O-Side Uber

On Tuesday I didn’t shower or shave and got 10 tips out of 11 rides. Wednesday I showered and detailed my car, only got 1 tip out of 10. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I agree with the waves of tippers . Some days you get more deadbeats, and other days you can get the majority of tippers.

rkozy

How do you know your tips show up all the time? How do you know they are not skimming a couple bucks a day from you?
Post automatically merged:

Every time a passenger says they'll tip in me the app -- believe it or not -- a tip comes through from them. Even more often, a passenger says nothing about tipping me and yet, $5 magically appears minutes after the ride. Here in the Midwest, people are generous and stay true to their word. Many of my regular pax (people who are in my car frequently) have well-known tipping routines. Their tips always show up in the app as well.

If Uber was skimming my tips, I'd have a big trail of missing tips to follow. No such trail exists.

Daisey77

Every time a passenger says they'll tip in me the app -- believe it or not -- a tip comes through from them. Even more often, a passenger says nothing about tipping me and yet, $5 magically appears minutes after the ride. Here in the Midwest, people are generous and stay true to their word. Many of my regular pax (people who are in my car frequently) have well-known tipping routines. Their tips always show up in the app as well.

If Uber was skimming my tips, I'd have a big trail of missing tips to follow. No such trail exists.
How do you know "no trail exists"? You wouldn't necessarily have a big trail of missing tips. I don't think by any means they would be stupid enough to take the entire tip But they could definitely skim a couple dollars off the top. I'm not saying they are or they aren't but there is literally no way we would know if they were doing so

rkozy

How do you know "no trail exists"? You wouldn't necessarily have a big trail of missing tips. I don't think by any means they would be stupid enough to take the entire tip But they could definitely skim a couple dollars off the top. I'm not saying they are or they aren't but there is literally no way we would know if they were doing so
How do I know you're not using Uber to pick up your murder victims? I don't think by any means you'd be daring enough to kill every passenger you have in your car, but you definitely could kill a few riders every week and cleverly avoid detection. I'm not saying you are or you aren't but there is literally no way we would know if you were doing that.

Absent any proof you are not killing some of your passengers, we can only assume that you already may have done that. Luckily for you, we live in a country where proof is generally required to make a legal case against someone.

Daisey77

How do I know you're not using Uber to pick up your murder victims? I don't think by any means you'd be daring enough to kill every passenger you have in your car, but you definitely could kill a few riders every week and cleverly avoid detection. I'm not saying you are or you aren't but there is literally no way we would know if you were doing that.

Absent any proof you are not killing some of your passengers, we can only assume that you already may have done that. Luckily for you, we live in a country where proof is generally required to make a legal case against someone.

Well I'm going to do my best to link your scenario with the current scenario. First of all there would be a way to know because there would be dead bodies🤪 second of all, if there's reason to suspect someone is murdering someone such as two people order an Uber and only one makes it out of the Uber, I would definitely suggest it gets investigated. Sort of like someone sees the tip and not all of the tip makes it in their pocket, it should probably be looked into. You act like he's just completely making this up out of nowhere. He has reason to suspect tip skimming. that's the best I got dude with what you gave me to work with🤷🏼

I don't know why everyone's on the OP's ass. Typically when someone suspects such behavior from a company, the normal thing is to investigate it. They either find the company did wrong or they find the company did not do wrong. Typically the person who makes the claim is in the one getting jumped all over

rkozy

Typically when someone suspects such behavior from a company, the normal thing is to investigate it. They either find the company did wrong or they find the company did not do wrong. Typically the person who makes the claim is in the one getting jumped all over
If I suspected Uber was stealing my tips, and had credible proof they were, I'd immediately log off the app and use my smartphone to call up some lawyers. Instead, the OP is hoping to try this case in the Court of Uberpeople.net because, well, that's just so much easier than gathering evidence and presenting an actual case, to an actual legal body, who could get some actual legal results.

If you honestly believe Uber is stealing your tips, and yet you keep working for them, you are truly a stupid person.

Bad uber pro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I suspected Uber was stealing my tips, and had credible proof they were, I'd immediately log off the app and use my smartphone to call up some lawyers. Instead, the OP is hoping to try this case in the Court of Uberpeople.net because, well, that's just so much easier than gathering evidence and presenting an actual case, to an actual legal body, who could get some actual legal results.

If you honestly believe Uber is stealing your tips, and yet you keep working for them, you are truly a stupid person.
The way your analogy took you to insinuate @Daisey77 could kill a few passengers a week and cleverly get away with it is all I need to know to avoid any advice from you. She even took the time to explain to you how your thought process is clearly foggy.
But you are right on one thing, bringing something like this on here was clearly a mistake.

OldBay

Every now and then, I go stretches where I don’t get tipped over a period of 10 to 15 rides which is very unusual for me. I raised concerns over this in earlier threads. My Uber rating is 4.94 and I drive only select and black and about 70% of my customers tip.
Tonight I had a new Uber customer who had a few stops and didn’t know how to add them so I walk them through it . When we got to their final destination, I was asked to show them how to tip... I ended the ride and the screen popped up so I watched them rate me and enter 25% tip. To my surprise, I only got a portion of the tip. I calculated every single way possible to check how they came up with that number but nothing made sense. How do we prove that Uber is keeping a big portion of our tips?And is it legal?

I suspect they skim tips, either partially or entirely.

I know I can't prove it.

I usually have around 15% of my total earnings in tips week after week. Then I will have a couple weeks in a row where I only get 5%. AND I have great conversation airport runs, pax offers handshake..etc. Other pax tell me they will tip me in the app after difficult pickup.. etc. And I am getting almost nothing in tips.

Law of averages would state that on a weekly basis, doing 100 rides, tips would be roughly average, week over week, but instead its like a toggle switch; tips sometimes seem disabled.

We know Uber is unethical. So its a reasonable assumption that they are skimming tips.

But I think there is a sentiment that "nah, they are too big.. you are crazy for thinking it... imagine if they got caught, etc."

If I was an evil genius working for Uber and I needed to skim tips, I would disguise it as an application error so that if I was caught there would be culpable deniability.

The OTHER (probably more credible) explanation is that when you've been earning well, they FEED the TIPPERS to other drivers to share the wealth. The algorithm KNOWS who the tippers are, and they can feed them to you or not.

rkozy

The OTHER (probably more credible) explanation is that when you've been earning well, they FEED the TIPPERS to other drivers to share the wealth. The algorithm KNOWS who the tippers are, and they can feed them to you or not.
Now there's a theory that actually makes some sense and doesn't require a tin foil hat to defend it. It's very possible Uber uses tipping data from a passenger's history to make sure every driver gets some of the action.

If you've been on a big winning streak with tips lately, get ready for the Uber algorithm to swing the pendulum the other way. That is a theory one can actually believe.

lyft_rat

Now there's a theory that actually makes some sense and doesn't require a tin foil hat to defend it. It's very possible Uber uses tipping data from a passenger's history to make sure every driver gets some of the action.

If you've been on a big winning streak with tips lately, get ready for the Uber algorithm to swing the pendulum the other way. That is a theory one can actually believe.
Does that mean you have to take long pickups to mine those tips? :errwhat:
Post automatically merged:

There is algorithm matching for sure and it might involve tips but I doubt it would include tip sharing. Yesterday (Friday) afternoon I was a long distance away from my best pickup when her usual ping time came up and thought I missed it for sure and was totally amazed that I still got the ping. This was very likely an algorithm match.

Last edited:

OldBay

It might also explain why some PT drivers report "astronomical" tips.

If someone is a bad driver who wastes time during bad parts of the day/ unprofitable areas, isn't efficient, turns off the app to take breaks during busy times, cancels profitable trips, turns off the app and deadheads back instead of seeking other trips, etc, etc, basically doesn't have a clue how to really earn money relative to the other drivers, the app may feed them tippers to help them out.

Really what matters in the end is "hourly rate x hours". How many hours were you able to sustain a high hourly rate? If someone reports "astronomical" tips, it doesn't really matter if they are only working 15 hours a week.

I hate the idea that the app is giving big fish to the bad drivers who don't know how to work their areas. (Might explain the "honeymoon" period.) But, IME, when I've been working hard and efficient, keeping my hourly rate high over a couple weeks, thats when tips seem to disappear.

Last edited:

Jenga

Yeah, like not collecting the sales tax and leaving drivers to pay it out of their share. In CA, this amounts to stealing 15% of your net.
Correction:

Turns out Uber does pay the sales tax, but they (stupidly) don't put it on the ride ticket!

This completely inverts my formula of calculation. So, for instance in the state of CA, if the sales tax in the county totals 10%, then instead of driver paying 15% of driver net to the tax hounds, it's Uber that pays a whopping 30% of their net to the state! Now add 3% for Visa/MC processing fees and that's 33% of their take that disappears! No wonder they can't make a profit.

lyft_rat

I got an odd tip amount from a friendly Uber rider yesterday, $4.98, so I Iooked at what percentage it was of what and it was exactly 16% of the fare before a rider discount of 20% was applied. Since rider had a discount coupon and I got a premium pickup fee, I made $28.25 out of the rider payment of $29.88, as it should be.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Some people have a tipping culture and some don't.

I've had a lot of riders who tell me that the ride I gave them was the best ride they've ever had and I still don't get a tip.

There's some people who tell me they're going to give me five stars with their tone in their voice like a grandmother telling you she's going to give you a shiny new nickel like that's supposed to be the best gift ever. I appreciate the stars and I do have a high rating but people need to understand that driving rideshare is like being a server in a restaurant. Tips make or break whetherI appreciate the stars and I do have a high rating but people need to understand that driving rideshare is like being a server in a restaurant.

Tips make or break whether you're just getting by or making decent money.

The rideshare companies do encourage the riders to tip but they can't push the idea to hard that without tips were really not making money because that would hurt their public image.