Tips and surge

Mazda2Uber

So I've been doing some Googling and reading of articles lately about Uber. Turns out we are now allowed to ask for tips or even put a sign in our car saying tips are appreciated. This is thanks to a recent class action lawsuit. I haven't asked riders for a tip or told them yet, but from what I've read uber has to start informing riders via the app soon that tips are encouraged.

Another article I read said that uber has begun the process of phasing out surge pricing. This is due to too many rider complaints. I didn't see a date when surge will end, but the phase out has started already. Sounds like they will increase the normal rates some to make up for the loss. This article just came out a few months ago so it's a recent change. Uber isn't advertising this though. Not yet at least.

Anyway, just wanted to share these tidbits.

tohunt4me

Rates should have been increased a year ago.

Tips hardly ever happen.

Surge is non existent.

Mazda2Uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've only been driving for just over two weeks and a good chunk of my riders have tipped me. Probably close to 30 or 40%! One guy even tipped me $20! So it does happen. Or I'm just that good :p lol

Rates should have been increased a year ago.

Tips hardly ever happen.

Surge is non existent.

Mazda2Uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then again I'm also a female. I've been told I'm treated differently than male drivers. So there's that! I have all sorts of interesting and funny stories. I'm starting a blog actually.

Anyway perhaps I'm getting tips often because I'm female. I've been told this and it seems like a good theory :-) either way I'll take the tips!

Hilljacker

So I've been doing some Googling and reading of articles lately about Uber. Turns out we are now allowed to ask for tips or even put a sign in our car saying tips are appreciated. This is thanks to a recent class action lawsuit. I haven't asked riders for a tip or told them yet, but from what I've read uber has to start informing riders via the app soon that tips are encouraged.

Another article I read said that uber has begun the process of phasing out surge pricing. This is due to too many rider complaints. I didn't see a date when surge will end, but the phase out has started already. Sounds like they will increase the normal rates some to make up for the loss. This article just came out a few months ago so it's a recent change. Uber isn't advertising this though. Not yet at least.

Anyway, just wanted to share these tidbits.
One of the articles I read said the tipping signs were in California and Massachusetts as a result of lawsuits in those states. It was not clear if the rest of us would be allowed to do so. Are you going to try it? I would like to know how it works out if you do. In the end, Uber really needs to pull their head out of the sand though and add a tipping option to the app.

Is surge going away or are they just changing the name? I assume you found the NPR article where the Uber guy pretty clearly states that surge is going away? A subsequent article in Quartz puts a little different light on it saying that Uber may go to a "Dynamic" pricing model where they just give the rider a quote for the ride. Apparently the quote for the same ride at different times of the day will be different based on demand. According to the article they are using this in Chicago (or at least they have tried it there).

Uzcaliber

Then again I'm also a female. I've been told I'm treated differently than male drivers. So there's that! I have all sorts of interesting and funny stories. I'm starting a blog actually.

Anyway perhaps I'm getting tips often because I'm female. I've been told this and it seems like a good theory :smiles: either way I'll take the tips!
I need to cross-dress to get tip, brilliant :smiles: :smiles:

Uzcaliber

One of the articles I read said the tipping signs were in California and Massachusetts as a result of lawsuits in those states. It was not clear if the rest of us would be allowed to do so. Are you going to try it? I would like to know how it works out if you do. In the end, Uber really needs to pull their head out of the sand though and add a tipping option to the app.

There was an article, the CEO of Uber said tipping racism because he said studies showed people don't tip blacks as much as whites. So if you accept a tip, you are a racist, so are all restaurants and service industries (sarcasm, of course I am joking) :smiles:

http://time.com/money/4310939/uber-no-tipping-racism-app/

Uzcaliber

Uber drivers can put on the Super Mario costume so we can still accept tips without being labeled as racists. Do you know why ? Because Super Mario is an italian plumber, made by Japanese people, who speaks english, looks like a mexican, jumps like a black man, and grabs coins like a jew :smiles:

upload_2016-8-8_12-20-28.png