Tipping

Uberisthenewpoor

It's probably been posted before, but I have people ask me all the time why they can't tip in the app, to which I say, if you really want to tip your driver you should use the Lyft app as it allows you to tip cashless.
If people in Dallas really wanted to tip the drivers, they would all switch over to Lyft, but the sad reality is that most people are extremely cheap and if they can get away without tipping they will do it.

I had a rider insist on tipping me via Venmo the other day, first time in a year that has happened! I gave her my Lyft code in response. :wink:

Bad uber pro

Well, a matter of time before they change that policy. It helps if every driver puts that on the serveys Uber send instead of ignoring them

Bear75063

Has Uber actually ever explained WHY tipping is "not necessary"?? A lot of people look at that and see it as "tip included". I honestly can't see how tipping harms the rider. On the Lyft platform, the riders are not obligated to tip. They just have the ability to do so. The only reason I can see if ridiculously drunk riders leave ridiculously huge tips that they later regret. But how many said drunk riders agree to huge surge multiples that they later regret??

I_Like_Spam

Has Uber actually ever explained WHY tipping is "not necessary"?? ?

Uber has published a report indicating the average income of Uber drivers to be $90,000, and has indicated that lowering the rates has actually increased the income of its partners.

Most patrons read this information, as well as the emphasis on the Uber website against tipping and are cool with it.

Bad uber pro

Uber has published a report indicating the average income of Uber drivers to be $90,000, and has indicated that lowering the rates has actually increased the income of its partners.

Most patrons read this information, as well as the emphasis on the Uber website against tipping and are cool with it.
These customers r quitting their jobs and joining us to drive. Now, how am I going to keep my 90k a year if I can't pick them up anymore :smiles:

andaas

Has Uber actually ever explained WHY tipping is "not necessary"??
Note: The below is based on my personal opinion merged with various bits of factual evidence available online.

When Uber first launched in 2011, the service provided only black car/suv service. At this time, the pricing was created with Uber's driver 'partners', and set at what was agreed as a fair price, gratuity inclusive, at the time. Uber's original website even included the text, "tip included" (click to see historical record of uber.com from 2011).

The "tip included" text was removed in late 2012, my guess for this is that the number of drivers on the platform increased, and there was pressure from the drivers (and perhaps at least 1 lawsuit), that claimed against Uber taking a 20% commission of "tips" that were included in the fare.

This eventually led to the "tipping not necessary" text blurb, as the leadership at Uber (cheap-ass, rich, entitled d-bags), abhorred the concept of tipping.

Around this time, the UberX platform was slowly launched to compete with the Lyft platform, that was the first to provide the service of "regular people" driving passengers in personal vehicles. The rest is pretty evident I think.

Micmac

Even if uber puts two tipping buttons ! Pax won't tip they just freakin cheap!! I learn my lesson any time I go to tipping places I don't tip now we are square! What comes around goes around:smiles:

Bear75063

So you are saying that Uber says we make too much money and therefore we don't need to be tipped?? I smell a little bs there. You said they published a report but where is it??

therides

No what he is saying is that Uber wants to be a Walmart of taxi. If it encourages tipping, pax will use it less. If pax used it less uber will not be able to make billions. Does Uber want to make less?

financeguy13

No what he is saying is that Uber wants to be a Walmart of taxi. If it encourages tipping, pax will use it less. If pax used it less uber will not be able to make billions. Does Uber want to make less?
Good argument. However, Walmart employees have benefits with a steady hourly pay. Even PT without benefits, you get scheduled breaks and lunches and a steady pay. For many Uber X drivers, the job is below Walmart. Good PT gig for extra money and fun meeting different pax and locations, but terrible for FT employment.

therides

I used Walmart as a loss leader retailer. It pays it's employees well below a living wage, forcing many of them to use welfare to supplement income to survive. This allows Walmart to destroy the competition(Lyft) while keeping their profits steady.

While it's socially irresponsible, there is no incentive for corporations to take care of its employees. This is where regulations and unions would be appropriate tools to leverage correct policy for employees.

financeguy13

I used Walmart as a loss leader retailer. It pays it's employees well below a living wage, forcing many of them to use welfare to supplement income to survive. This allows Walmart to destroy the competition(Lyft) while keeping their profits steady.

While it's socially irresponsible, there is no incentive for corporations to take care of its employees. This is where regulations and unions would be appropriate tools to leverage correct policy for employees.
True. I believe rideshare drivers, under the current market conditions, are best part-time for this reason. I love going out and meeting fun people, but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't make at least a profit.

uberparadise

Has Uber actually ever explained WHY tipping is "not necessary"?? A lot of people look at that and see it as "tip included". I honestly can't see how tipping harms the rider. On the Lyft platform, the riders are not obligated to tip. They just have the ability to do so. The only reason I can see if ridiculously drunk riders leave ridiculously huge tips that they later regret. But how many said drunk riders agree to huge surge multiples that they later regret??
. In years past, I believed that a driver was rewarded with the bigger fares from time to time (surge fares) and that was a nice windfall for all of us. At that point, I was more than willing to cooperate with the Uber business model. However, now surge is being phased out and the drivers are working harder and doing more trips and receiving way less. Consistent tipping would help all of us buy gas, brakes, car washes, oil changes, and other necessities that would benefit the riders and all involved. It's just not fair to short change the drivers when we are expected to go over and beyond to serve the rider! Their lives are in our hands, it's not wise to forget that.

Last edited:

Bad uber pro

Even if uber puts two tipping buttons ! Pax won't tip they just freakin cheap!! I learn my lesson any time I go to tipping places I don't tip now we are square! What comes around goes around:smiles:
OMG, I hope this is just your dry sense of humor lol. Just think next time you order at a restaurant that they do recognize u didn't tip from last time and they will spit on your food :smiles: