• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Tipping?

uberatedguy

Hi

I have driven for Uber in the Raleigh, NC off and on since last June. I would say that 10% or less of the pax tip at all.

I travel to Vegas 3-4 times per year and have recently started riding Uber rather than renting a car. My question is, do more pax tip in Vegas than in Raleigh? I would think more people would, given all the money flying around Vegas, but just curious.

BTW I have always tipped when riding, usually about 5 bucks.

LVRed777

95% no. Locals and tourists equally. Maybe west side locals are just cheaper. After all, they have more money.

llort

I received what I consider to be an inappropriate PM from SibeRescueBrian on April 8, 2017.
Because of that PM, this comment is currently under edit.
The owner of uberpeople.net should be aware of this over-reach from SibeRescueBrian,
as this edit of my content contribution is the direct result of the PM I recieved.
Check back soon for edit updates while this content is updated.

Last edited:

Udrivevegas

Hi

I have driven for Uber in the Raleigh, NC off and on since last June. I would say that 10% or less of the pax tip at all.

I travel to Vegas 3-4 times per year and have recently started riding Uber rather than renting a car. My question is, do more pax tip in Vegas than in Raleigh? I would think more people would, given all the money flying around Vegas, but just curious.

Hi

Everyone in Las Vegas tips huge. That's why all 42,000 drivers make well over $300 per day working part time. And you only tip $5? Wow! $10 seems to be more the acceptable minimum. /s/

PrestonT

I'm averaging about 1 out of 10 tipping on Uber and 1 out of 7 on Lyft. Uber is almost always a $5 spot, while Lyft is a lower average tip, so the average $ per ping is about the same.

This midweek seems a little below average tip-wise because fashion industry people don't seem to understand the concept. I've made up for it in volume and a very generous $100 tip from a non-fashion guy.

Freebyrdie

I'm averaging about 1 out of 10 tipping on Uber and 1 out of 7 on Lyft. Uber is almost always a $5 spot, while Lyft is a lower average tip, so the average $ per ping is about the same.

This midweek seems a little below average tip-wise because fashion industry people don't seem to understand the concept. I've made up for it in volume and a very generous $100 tip from a non-fashion guy.
Not true for me.....yesterday I drove fashion people all day. Got 70 tips on 108 in fares.

PrestonT

I'm inclined to be a little envious, but I understand that it all averages out over time. May I ask what hours you were driving?

I got $10 cash yesterday on $90 Uber and Lyft combined, driving in the evening. $5, $3, and $2. I clearly remember that the smaller tips were MAGIC, and the $5 was an airport run. I also got a $2 Lyft CC tip from a couple of nice MAGIC guys. My best Lyft tip yesterday was $5 on $4.15, and it was by a young local girl that I'd never have predicted would add on a tip. Reinforces the message that we should treat all our passengers well and never pre-judge whether they will tip or not. My $110 tip Tuesday was from an African American gentleman who was the best conversation I've had to date.

PS I have a feeling that you are super good at this and I could learn something from you.

Freebyrdie

I'm inclined to be a little envious, but I understand that it all averages out over time. May I ask what hours you were driving?

I got $10 cash yesterday on $90 Uber and Lyft combined, driving in the evening. $5, $3, and $2. I clearly remember that the smaller tips were MAGIC, and the $5 was an airport run. I also got a $2 Lyft CC tip from a couple of nice MAGIC guys. My best Lyft tip yesterday was $5 on $4.15, and it was by a young local girl that I'd never have predicted would add on a tip. Reinforces the message that we should treat all our passengers well and never pre-judge whether they will tip or not. My $110 tip Tuesday was from an African American gentleman who was the best conversation I've had to date.

PS I have a feeling that you are super good at this and I could learn something from you.
I gather your question was directed at me. Yesterday I worked from 8:30am-3:30. One of the $20 tips and 2 of the $10 tips were from riders I picked up at the convention center gold lot. After learning from riders that the north halls were displaying the high end high fashion I trolled the area hoping for high $ spenders. It payed off yesterday. It pays to talk to your convention riders. Before getting that great tid bit of info about the north hall I was trolling the south hall bronze lot for rides. Actually had pool rides out of that lot. Found out it was the bargain area. Keep your ears open, sometimes you score with info you can capitalize on. In general tips are hit and miss for me like pretty much everybody. I do let all my riders know I appreciate them and offer to go above and beyond when I can. Things like offering to take airport pickup pax to Von's for water, snacks and alcohol if they can help me with some cash for my wait time has been working out nicely. They save money from what items cost on the strip, have the goodies in their room which is nice and are always appreciative with at least a $10 tip. The couple extra miles adds to your trip fare and the relative short wait while they shop is well worth it.

PrestonT

It was directed at you, and I appreciate the answer and also the great tip about suggesting a grocery (or liquor) stop. I never mind waiting for a stop, but I fully understand those drivers that need to maximize their fares per hour because it's their sole livelihood, and asking for a couple bucks for the lost time is more than fair.

I only drive during the evening. I wonder if tipping behavior differs between day and night among conentioneers and other riders....

VegasR

I get tipped about 30 %. Make em laugh. Have a nice tip sign that gets to the point. No crap about stars. Help tourists save money. Vons runs are gold, jerry. Gold!

Read Blackout 702 s old posts.

You can also make money from strip clubs and other businesses

kojeislandincha

Hi

Locals....They R The Only ones that tip good....Karma.....Yes that's what they Say.

UBER is a slimed comonay that does not promote tips.
Sorry. But that's not working anymore

older people who are new to uber tip, but most pax in LV are ******bag millenials from out of town who think you owe them.
No They Don't!

Perfect! 10 Percent.

Not true for me.....yesterday I drove fashion people all day. Got 70 tips on 108 in fares.
But U R Driving Taxi

Everyone in Las Vegas tips huge. That's why all 42,000 drivers make well over $300 per day working part time. And you only tip $5? Wow! $10 seems to be more the acceptable minimum. /s/
We Only Wanted to Go Out This Direction. Taxi Cab Drivers Will Post this Nonsense...Or Maybe....Uber Post this Nonsense....But..We All Know Marrijuana Is Legal Here....Thank God!

Udrivevegas

Locals....They R The Only ones that tip good....Karma.....Yes that's what they Say.

Sorry. But that's not working anymore

No They Don't!

Perfect! 10 Percent.

But U R Driving Taxi

We Only Wanted to Go Out This Direction. Taxi Cab Drivers Will Post this Nonsense...Or Maybe....Uber Post this Nonsense....But..We All Know Marrijuana Is Legal Here....Thank God!
Do you speak English? It would be a lot easier to understand your posts if they were in a recognizable language.

kojeislandincha

It's All we do, to speak English...Funny ....I don't Speak English......When I came to America. Story. I was hiding with traumatizing heart palpitations telling pain......Yeah... U got me

I sure hope those Pax figure it out, tips. Summers coming and when those air conditioners start your going to need them to support your habit.