• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Tipping in Richmond

UberRVADriver

I'm usually not offended if a rider doesn't tip (after all, with Uber "there's no need to tip!") but tonight my riders were downright cheapskates and I feel the urge to vent.

Picked up an older couple at RIC airport tonight with 6 large bags... stuffed my small SUV's cargo area to the brim. Dropped them off at a $1.3 million, 7000+ square foot house off of River Road. Loaded all 6 50-pound bags both in and out of the car.

Grossed $15 after Uber commission and airport fees. No tip. The guy even walked back toward me as I was getting directions out of the subdivision on my phone... I rolled down the window thinking he was getting me his tip... nope. "Just checking the mail."

Meanwhile, last week I got a $5 tip on Lyft from a waitress in the East End. There's definitely no telling who'll be a tipper and who will be a cheapskate until you drop them off. Strangely enough, since I've been driving for Lyft, I've gotten very few tips through their app, but more and more cash tips from Uber riders (still less than 10% of the time in my estimate though.)

What are your experiences with tips in Richmond?

uber genesis

alot of cheap people in richmond. That paired with the low rates make for a bad situation.. @ least you still have you friday and saturday night surges (assuming they're still happening)

I recently moved to seattle. driving here is alot better

Most times I didn't get tips even with a tip sign and more perks then most drivers..every once in a while i'll have a 40-50 dollars in tips for a weekend

Compare that to here in seattle, i Avg 30 in tips on uber and about 100 in tips on lyft. I struggled to make 300-350 in 12 hrs on a saturday..

here. I can drive from 9p-7a on a random night and clear 250-300.. do 12 on a saturday..500 easy.. the market is saturated but I can clear 1k if i work hard enough

Dutchman

I drive part-time (twice a month maybe) on certain weekends. I reckon that one out of ten riders will tip me. I have gotten a $10 tip on an $8 ride and a $20 tip on a $40 ride........but most folks don't tip.

If you are doing this Uber X gig for anything other than some extra part-time cash, you are going to be sadly disappointed. When Uber first came to town, it was not hard to make $20 an hour consistently on weekends. Nowadays, you are lucky to net $10 per hour - because our town is saturated with drivers AND the rates were cut last summer.

Uber has joined "the race to the bottom" - and the lower quality of both passengers and drivers is becoming more and more apparent. I see some real POS cars out there hacking for pings. It's frustrating to me because I keep my car immaculately clean, give 100 percent and do all I can to accommodate all of my riders. It's like being undercut by illegals who play by different rules. LOL!

Some of the worst things are riders who are not ready when you arrive (If you don't need a ride, then DON'T PING FOR ONE!), people who are not at the correct address (or fail to at least text you the proper one) where you are supposed to get them and smokers who stink like hell when they get in your car - which leads to complaints from your next passenger(s).

I am sure I could come up with a few others. LOL!

Was going to Uber tonight, but decided to stay home tonight. I might do some driving during the day tomorrow if I have time. If they raise the rates (which I doubt will occur), I would consider driving more often. So glad I have a "day job" and am not dependent upon Uber for income as so many others are these days.

Baltorious

Richmonders are cheap! I bust my butt to pick up quickly and take the most efficient routes, have a new car which I keep spotless, and am friendly when I have Pax that feel like getting their noses out of their phones, but haven't gotten a tip in weeks! Most of the wealthiest ones brag to me about what a great thing Uber is because it's so cheap. Take them 5 miles to their giant mansions off Cary and River, and not a single dime! Then to see the notice that Uber gave itself a raise in their "rider fee" but nothing for us. BAH!

entrep1776

I'm usually not offended if a rider doesn't tip (after all, with Uber "there's no need to tip!") but tonight my riders were downright cheapskates and I feel the urge to vent.

Picked up an older couple at RIC airport tonight with 6 large bags... stuffed my small SUV's cargo area to the brim. Dropped them off at a $1.3 million, 7000+ square foot house off of River Road. Loaded all 6 50-pound bags both in and out of the car.

Grossed $15 after Uber commission and airport fees. No tip. The guy even walked back toward me as I was getting directions out of the subdivision on my phone... I rolled down the window thinking he was getting me his tip... nope. "Just checking the mail."

Meanwhile, last week I got a $5 tip on Lyft from a waitress in the East End. There's definitely no telling who'll be a tipper and who will be a cheapskate until you drop them off. Strangely enough, since I've been driving for Lyft, I've gotten very few tips through their app, but more and more cash tips from Uber riders (still less than 10% of the time in my estimate though.)

What are your experiences with tips in Richmond?
Most rich people are cheap/frugal. Don't get rich by spending. When I go out to eat, I will leave a generous tip. If I can't afford the tip, I don't go out to eat. Cheap with big business /government. Fair with small businesses. Generous with people.