tipping has almost stopped

Ardery

for a while, I was making about 50-60 bucks a week on in-app tipping. now... it's basically slowed down to maybe 10 a week.

today I got 1 dollar, yesterday none.

what the F happened?

Bill$10

for a while, I was making about 50-60 bucks a week on in-app tipping. now... it's basically slowed down to maybe 10 a week.

what the F happened?
When it's new it draws people's attention to it. Now that it's not, people have gone back to not giving a @@@@:frown:. I wished they made it as taboo not to tip drivers, as it is when you don't tip waiters.

tohunt4me

what the F happened?
Uber SAID it would allow tipping in app...

Uber never said YOU WOULD GET THE MONEY !

Read the contract !

Midnite fly by night update #1,358.9 of 2017.

Pulchra

In app tip option has backfired in my opinion.
I get a lot of "I will tip you in the app" but get nothing. Where as before I received cash now those are few and far between.

Bill$10

In app tip option has backfired in my opinion.
I get a lot of "I will tip you in the app" but get nothing. Where as before I received cash now those are few and far between.
I agree pax have adapted this as the go to phrase when they don't wish to look like a cheapskate. Why not just tip, or never announce you will tip, just to save face. But i agree it definitely backfired, it's nothing like having cash in hand. Plus in app the tips will be reported, which means more to pay come tax time. :mad: Definitely not a better situation for drivers.

os2wiz

Amazing! Almost everyone on this board was screaming how unfair Über was for not allowing in-app tipping. It was the number one complaint. Now that we've got it.... jeez, people. :confused: (I must say, though, that Über should not require rating before getting the tip screen.)

I just ordered an Uber ride to work this morning.
After the ride ended, the rider app popped up a message asked me to rate and tip the driver. I rated him 5 stars because I saw his rating is low, 4.76. and spent the time to give him 1 badge plus 1 comment. tipped $2.

So, that shows Uber has tried to get the riders tipped promptly, but I'm not sure if Uber will credit the tipped money to our account, or there's an error and we'd never see the extra income.
It is weird and suspicious about Uber, because I get at least 10% tip with Lyft, but Uber 5% or less if I'm lucky. Maybe 1 out of 20 tipped.

bobby747

i tried on my customers 1 month ago and it was so hard to find it fast not like lyft..he gave me cash instead....i think the tip option is too much trouble as to lyft all these customers are cheap. when you play with mickey mouse ..u get paid in mickey mouse money...YA DID TIPPING START...

getme2srq

It is weird and suspicious about Uber, because I get at least 10% tip with Lyft, but Uber 5% or less if I'm lucky. Maybe 1 out of 20 tipped.

Lyft customers are accustomed/encouraged to tip.
Uber customers, for years, were discouraged from tipping.
This may explain the difference in tip rates between the two companies.

observer

Any of you have a friend that needs an Uber ride? Maybe you can give them 5 bux cash and have them tip you in app to check if you are getting tips correctly.

Amazon apparently counts tips as driver pay maybe Uber is doing something similar.

anteetr

I never thought it would make things much better.

I still find uber tippers to be more likely to do so in cash, and even the rare ones you get on the app are typically bigger with uber. I got a $10 cash tip on top of a 4X XL trip this weekend. I can count the number of $10+ tips I got on Lyft with one hand with fingers left. Never on a prime time ride.

bobby747

when i first started back with lyft 3 months ago or so..i thought tips were better...just as bad as uber...like 10% tip....now many of my rides are long surges after i finish my quests....i dont expect a 4.9 x to tip me at $5 a mile

paulmsr

ironically the last 2 weeks my cash tips have gone up as in app tipping has gone down. ive had a few customers say here you go and hand me cash with the "so it doesnt get reported" line

os2wiz

Any of you have a friend that needs an Uber ride? Maybe you can give them 5 bux cash and have them tip you in app to check if you are getting tips correctly.

Amazon apparently counts tips as driver pay maybe Uber is doing something similar.
Whoa! Über has been very careful to cover its legal butt. I can't believe that they would try to claim any portion of driver's tips. They have to report it as driver taxable income, but any attempt to keep driver's tips or any portion thereof is illegal.

To further elucidate:
TIPPED EMPLOYEES UNDER THE FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA)
Retention of Tips: A tip is the sole property of the tipped employee regardless of whether the employer takes a tip credit. [1] The FLSA prohibits any arrangement between the employer and the tipped employee whereby any part of the tip received becomes the property of the employer. For example, even where a tipped employee receives at least $7.25 per hour in wages directly from the employer, the employee may not be required to turn over his or her tips to the employer.

observer

Whoa! Über has been very careful to cover its legal butt. I can't believe that they would try to claim any portion of driver's tips. They have to report it as driver taxable income, but any attempt to keep driver's tips or any portion thereof is illegal.

To further elucidate:
TIPPED EMPLOYEES UNDER THE FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA)
Retention of Tips: A tip is the sole property of the tipped employee regardless of whether the employer takes a tip credit. [1] The FLSA prohibits any arrangement between the employer and the tipped employee whereby any part of the tip received becomes the property of the employer. For example, even where a tipped employee receives at least $7.25 per hour in wages directly from the employer, the employee may not be required to turn over his or her tips to the employer.

I'm not saying Uber is doing this but drivers aren't employees, they're independent contractors.

Different rules or no rules.

os2wiz

I'm not saying Uber is doing this but drivers aren't employees, they're independent contractors.

Different rules or no rules.
Point taken. I thought of that when reading the FSLA. However, Über's own TSA states in Section 4.1, "The Fare does not include gratuity." Since all of their pay calculations apply to the Fare, it looks like Über would be breaking the terms of their own TSA if they tried to confiscate the tip or any portion thereof. It may not be illegal, but certainly is claim worthy.