tipped 10 pounds post Brexit

RacerX

So last week on a LAX run I gave a ride to some guy from London who was in LA to visit friends and explore some options in the Start-up world. we had a great conversation about tech and new Santa Monica/ SF tech (entitled millenial) culture. At the end of the ride he tells me that he enjoyed the ride and wants to tip me. he reaches in his wallet but then says I don't have any dollars. I said don't worry about it thinking it was just an excuse to not tip and told him to have a great flight home. He then shows me his wallet and said here take this. He hands me 10 British pounds which is all he has... then smiles and says I hope it's still worth something by the time you exchange it. We both laughed, I said thank you and good luck again and he walked away.

Hell, I'm not complaining. it's still equal to 12 bucks today minus conversation fees. Still way more than most all others tip. anybody know a cheap place in LA to get foreign currency exchanges. I know LAX has places but they are rip off's. I have some other euro and peso's I need to exchange as well

IMG_0560.JPG

Optimus Uber

So last week on a LAX run I gave a ride to some guy from London who was in LA to visit friends and explore some options in the Start-up world. we had a great conversation about tech and new Santa Monica/ SF tech (entitled millenial) culture. At the end of the ride he tells me that he enjoyed the ride and wants to tip me. he reaches in his wallet but then says I don't have any dollars. I said don't worry about it thinking it was just an excuse to not tip and told him to have a great flight home. He then shows me his wallet and said here take this. He hands me 10 British pounds which is all he has... then smiles and says I hope it's still worth something by the time you exchange it. We both laughed, I said thank you and good luck again and he walked away.

Hell, I'm not complaining. it's still equal to 12 bucks today minus conversation fees. Still way more than most all others tip. anybody know a cheap place in LA to get foreign currency exchanges. I know LAX has places but they are rip off's. I have some other euro and peso's I need to exchange as well

View attachment 47752
I'll give you $8 USD for it. :wink:

afrojoe824

View attachment 47752
Your bank does it. Not sure about your bank, but I know Chase waives the conversion fee for me since I'm a customer. Also, depends on what bank account you got.

Just Another Uber Drive

View attachment 47752
Try the British Consulate at 2029 Century Park E #1350, Los Angeles, CA 90067. (310) 789-0031

Not sure they'll do it, but I once exchanged currency at the Mexican Consulate. But that was in the 70s. The world has changed a bit since then.

RacerX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your bank does it. Not sure about your bank, but I know Chase waives the conversion fee for me since I'm a customer. Also, depends on what bank account you got.
Wells fargo sucks with regards to foriegn currency exchange unless you are converting hundreds .

RacerX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Try the British Consulate at 2029 Century Park E #1350, Los Angeles, CA 90067. (310) 789-0031

Not sure they'll do it, but I once exchanged currency at the Mexican Consulate. But that was in the 70s. The world has changed a bit since then.
thanks. not worth paying for parking in Century city for $12. :eek: if I remember every place is like $40 per hour. I'd be losing money

ChinatownJake

He hands me 10 British pounds which is all he has... then smiles and says I hope it's still worth something by the time you exchange it.
That's really cool. One of the best tips I ever got was the promise, from an agent at one of the top Hollywood shops, at the end of a ride she liked, of two free concert tickets of my choice. Provided they had clients or connections to the event.

Waited too long I guess. When I finally and very nicely texted her a request, once then again once more, she never returned. Sounded good while it lasted though.