Tip Jars

Having a tip jar in the car. Please vote

• Yes! great idea...

• No! bad idea...

• Why not... maybe we should try it...

Results are only viewable after voting.

LevelX

For once I agree with UXDriver.... Wrong country mate..... You'll just get laughed at and down rated for having it!

Max Bell

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
+1
Especially we like to know if your rating will not be dropped
F the rating. With the rates the way they are and the upcoming new legislation (which is probably going to screw us drivers even more in a "legal" manner) there is really nothing to lose, only gain.

I want to hear from drivers who currently use tip jars.

(Naysayer spare me the drama please. I've been driving for a long time and know damn well all the "why not" crap...)

Graham J

I once had a taxi driver actually ask me for a tip. I said the best tip I can give you is don't drive taxis and get out of my face. No way, in this country. If I caught an Uber and there was a tip jar sitting there I would try for a minus 5 star

Last edited by a moderator:

UXDriver

I once had a taxi driver actually ask me for a tip. I said the best tip I can give you is don't drive taxis and get out of my face. No way, in this country. If I caught an Uber and there was a tip jar sitting there I would try for a minus 5 star
Charming

Homebrand Taxi

Tip jar=bad idea. Not because you don't deserve it but because of how it will be perceived. I have done pretty well with tips and the odd reward. No tips on Uber eats. Frankly, to NOT tip goes against my values. With a few exceptions, I have always tipped taxi drivers whether they be in Mexico City, Washington DC, London, Hanoi, Delhi or Melbourne. Clearly, the best possible service ought to be tipped as should going out of your way. But given the prevailing stinginess that is evident in the links contained in the Xavier thread, it is worth remembering a quote of William S. Burroughs: Expect nothing and receive it in abundance. This should not be used a means of seeking tips but when you do get the odd pax who takes an interest in the way you Uber, don't do the dumb thing that some drivers do and brag about your gross earnings and fail to demonstrate even a basic understanding of accounting in the process. Tell them the truth.
Oh yeah, one more thing. About a year ago, I had a pax tell me he got into an Uber and the driver had a sign which said "Thank you for your 5-star rating and thank you for your tip". Quite probably is now warming seats at Centrelink and his job agency or possibly running Uber. :wink:

Graham J

Tipping is predominantly a cultural thing so when I travel in the US in Canada I readily tip because it is expected and feels right. In Asia, tipping is not so much expected but if taxi driver puts the meter on, is pleasant and goes the best route then I always tip way over the amount that I would pay to those drivers who haggle and try and take a lend of the silly Westerner. In Australia tipping is not expected but that doesn't mean its against the law to give a driver a little extra for a good job but neither should a driver take umbrage when not given one. Asking for a tip is a huge no, no and having a tip jar in your car is asking! Another reason for making tipping a bit more problematic is that our passengers are not using cash or reaching into their pockets so it much easier in a cab when the fare comes to $17.50, you give $20 and say keep the change.

Graham J

In Australia tipping is not expected but that doesn't mean its against the law to give a driver a little extra for a good job but neither should a driver take umbrage when not given one.
It's OK mate, in this country tipping is not considered as mandatory as it is in many other countries so cultural differences do exist! If you didn't tip a cabbie in the US you probably wouldn't get out of the car alive. By the way I wish you luck with your tip jar however I and a few others are suggesting it's a bad idea. That's what makes up the tapestry of life!

sporadic

Please tip your pax. They're paying more than bus fare, and Uber wants to drive the bus services out of business. Especially if Poop comes online.

Next post, Pax put hand in unmarked tip jar and took $5 at the end of the trip. Thought it was for them!