1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Tip is not required

Discussion in 'Tips' started by excel2345, Dec 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. os2wiz

os2wiz Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I love kissing:). My other partime job is riding buses for a transportation company to check the schedules, but I definitely like bussing better!

2. There’s no need to tip

There’s no need to tip Active Member

While that is true, I'm sure the terms between the driver and Uber also stated that rates were not guaranteed and could change at any time. If the drivers had an actual contract with Uber for x amount per mile plus x amount per time for x amount of years and then Uber broke the contract and reduced the rate that is a different story than drivers wishfully thinking the rates would remain the same with no guarantee. I have no problem with the market dictating the rate. As of right now, there are drivers at this rate and I will continue to request rides from them. If that started to change Uber would have to increase their rates to stay in business and I wouldn't have an issue with that.

Also, as I mentioned elsewhere on this site, if a tip REALLY meant a tip, I would have no issue with it being added to the app. However, we all know, as does Uber, that as soon as the OPTION to tip is implemented, socially it becomes MANDATORY in the eyes of the drivers (and many passengers). I know people that would feel compelled to press that 20% button if it popped up NO MATTER what the rate was. That is how strongly they have been indoctrinated. Once again, don't get me wrong, I am not against the act of tipping in general, I am against the EXPECTATION that a tip is pretty much a guarantee in all situations which is really what it unfortunately has become.

ColdRider and rebutfyl like this.
  3. 14gIV

14gIV Well-Known Member

scram you pesky stalker

4. There’s no need to tip

How about this as a compromise? Uber adds the ability to tip into the app and at the end of every ride, it presents a prompt for a tip. However, on the preceding screen it has Uber's standard language regarding how a separate tip in not included in addition to the fare however it is not required etc... whatever the current language is as a result of the class action, and informs the passenger that the tip amount doesn't factor into the passenger rating and the driver does not see the amount, if any, left as a tip for any specific passenger. I think in that situation, everyone wins. However, I'm pretty sure that if Uber did that, all of you guys would still be whining and complaining about it.

Agent99, UberKevPA and ColdRider like this.
  5. tommyboy

tommyboy Active Member

Charge rates high enough that tips won't be an issue. Problem solved minumun wage or less just doesn't cut it financially. 50 hours a week to net 300 after true expenses is far to low for the type of work drivers do.

6. There’s no need to tip

The problem is, Uber has no incentive to do so while drivers still drive for them at a quality level acceptable to the customer. If they started to have a manpower issue, or customers started complaining about the quality, they would be forced to raise the rates. It is really as cut and dry as that.

TomInVegas likes this.
  7. tommyboy

tommyboy Active Member

The problem is we are grossly underpaid. This situation can't last something got to give anybody have any idea on rectifying this situation please enlightened us,we need the advice.I will drive 40 hours this week for 200 take home.Thats not enough money. Soon as I find a better deal I'm gone. There are easier ways to make money with a car

8. 21stcenturyslavery

21stcenturyslavery New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Far from slave labor ? You obviously never had a deep meaningful conversation with your uberX driver, or perhaps you're one of those guys who just remains silent during the ride because he/she is not worth your time. If cab drivers get tipped for the same distance but nearly double the price, then it's only common sense and decency to tip your uber driver. No tip you say…well then make sure to load and unload your own bags or luggage without scuffing or scratching the vehicle, dare not ask for water or mints or gum etc…and keep your hands off the radio. It seems the lower the rates become the more self entitled these uber pax become

9. There’s no need to tip

I hate to tell you but there are plenty of people in this country (and elsewhere) that feel they are underpaid. They have the same options as you do. 1. Attempt to get better wage from employer themselves, 2. form a union and collectively try to get a better wage, 3. get a second job, 4. get a different job, 5. do absolutely nothing about the situation. The situation sucks but unfortunately there are too many people choosing option 5. Continuing with a job that is unprofitable, and is actually losing drivers money (as claimed by some), can't be the best option. As to what you should do, I don't have a vested interest so I have not really sat down and thought about it. However, there are thousands of you guys. I'm sure some of you have generated some legitimately good ideas while many others would unfortunately rather just complain about the passengers not tipping when using a non-tipping platform.

I have explained the position several times. Saying it is slave labor is hyperbole. I'm not going to go into the obvious reasons again. Is it a ****ty exploitive situation, yes. Is it "slave labor," no.

I sometimes speak to the driver but many times I do not. It all depends on my mood or time of day. My airport runs are usually pretty early and I'm not interested in speaking. It isn't because the driver "isn't worth my time" it is because I just don't feel like speaking to a stranger (or anyone) at that moment. As for "common sense" to pay more money when unnecessary I say it is the exact opposite. It is common sense to NOT tip for a service that explicitly advertises no tipping involved. Stop comparing it to other things. Uber has NEVER compared itself to cabs and has done everything to differentiate itself from them. It has always been tip cab, no tip Uber whether the drivers like it or not.

As to the statement above, If you've read any of my posts around here you would know that I am not opposed to a TRUE tip, rather a tip masquerading as a replacement wage. I have said many times if the driver goes above and beyond for me I have no problem giving a little extra. I personally don't find myself in that situation though. I don't partake in mints/gum/water/charger but if I did I would show my appreciation. I personally don't mind, and actually prefer to, handle my own bags and open my own door. Pull up, I'm waiting outside, stay in the car and pop the trunk, I'm all good. I'm not a problem passenger. No inaccurate pins, no waiting, no messes, no demands, just get me from point A to point B (never 3 blocks) without long hauling me and I'm good. I agree with you that other passengers that expect more without shelling out are &$@8*, even when using the Uber platform. It is still a service position that deserves a tip when EARNED. For someone like me that only requires basic service, I don't feel my driver has done anything to EARN a tip and therefore I don't provide one. If the wage is not enough to support him I agree that sucks, but it isn't my fault he chooses to continue doing so and I'm not going to feel guilty about it.

Many of the drivers here say things like "keep not tipping and there will be no drivers for Uber" and "don't start tipping us and the price of the service will just increase anyway so you might as well tip now and have some control" so on and so forth and my response to that is GOOD. Let it happen. That is the market meeting demand. If that time comes, I will reevaluate my usage. If I find I'm waiting too long for a car, or the service costs too much, I will make an informed decision for myself whether to continue using it or look for other options.

ColdRider likes this.
  10. albertphx

albertphx Member

While i do think drivers should receive tips just like any other service profession. I am ok with pax not tipping if the fare gets me $7 or more for the trip....after ubers cut, but before gas,car depreciation ,etc After all, we are not forced to be drivers for Uber. I do think though that eventually the quality of the ride will decrease, since the type of money drivers make now is very low.
    My gripe is with the pax that calls for the 2 mile rides, makes the driver wait, or needs extra service,etc and doesn't bother to give the driver anything extra. They cost others to lose money picking them up and least they can do is make it square. This is NOT an tip or anything extra.....its just being fair and not leeching off the drivers.
    I don't understand what the fuss is with some people on tipping. Maybe its hard for them to give away an few bucks voluntarily and they don't want
    to appear cheap to others? Easier for them if its put into the price.

11. Lindsay3222

Lindsay3222 New Member

Do you do uber for a living?

12. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I went back and reread your posting. Am I correct that you actually suggested that the idea of Uber putting a tipping option into the app would be acceptable/reasonable to you?

13. Greguzzi

Greguzzi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    He still wouldn't tip, unless his friends were watching. He's a coward with plenty of principles, unless his friends are watching. LOL.

14. Agent99

Driving:
    UberX
    I just checked, and "There's No Need..." has not posted in the forum since July, 2016.

15. thedriverking

thedriverking New Member

I love this subject, as both a passenger and a rider.

I'm one of the market of people who rarely keeps cash. I prefer Uber or Lyft over taxis, however Taxis and Lyft have options to tip from card and I almost always tip.

Unless Uber offers this too, I'm not going to carry cash just to tip. It's just not going to happen.

As a driver for Uber, it's always nice when people tip, but drivers should demand Uber have this option and not have the expectation that riders should carry cash for tipping.

16. Agent99

Driving:
    UberX
  17. TedInTampa

TedInTampa Active Member

My sister-in-Law made less than minimum wage last week. $30 in 8 hours because her average tip as a server was under $2. She got many complements...and quit because she could make more at McDonald's. I spoke to a lady who cleans hotel rooms. They get paid per room, and in the slow seaon, there may not be many rooms. On that day, she cleaned 3 rooms, and did the laundry for $5 a room... 2.5 hours, $15. Every room I sleep in I plan on leaving $5, because the industry treats them poorly.

"If you don't like it, quit"... The most important feature for me as an Uber driver is the 100% flexibility. Some days I feel ill. Some days my family needs me home. Sometimes between customers I need to head to the restroom or grab a bite to eat. Many jobs I cannot do because of some health issues. I can Uber. I also think I should be paid more by Uber. If Uber increased their pay per mile and per minute 50%, then tips would not be needed. If they doubled it and guaranteed Lyft drivers could drive for them, then Lyft might not have any drivers left.