Tip: Go offline between :40 - :55 on the hour.

touberornottouber

Do this in residential areas and when not far away from popular desitnations. The reason being most of the rides during these times are people going a short distance to work or school where they need to be there on the hour such as 9:00am.

Just go offline then and take a break. This is a good way to be more profitable and also protest the low pay for short trips. Send the companies a message that they will need to start increasing our pay for short rides or we are not going to do them.

touberornottouber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why go offline? Just decline the trips, how do you know you are not missing out on a 45+ trip in that 15 minutes you are offline?
I guess you have a point. 45+ trips are very rare in those areas where I do this though. Going offline saves your decline rate (if that matters at all for you). I don't really care other than I suspect it is taken into account in the algorithm somehow where I will get less future runs if I decline a lot so if I'm not accepting most trips I usually just go offline.

UberAdrian

Why go offline? Just decline the trips, how do you know you are not missing out on a 45+ trip in that 15 minutes you are offline?
Haha UL has already counter-scammed you on this. You only see the 45+ if ju acceptance is above whatever (80/90 something like that). So once you begin cherry picking those, you automatically screw yourself out of being able to cherry pick them! If this hasn't come to your market yet, it will don't worry.

FLKeys

Not worried in my market cherry picking really is not an option. Same as this issue of doing rider to work is not an issue. I'm just trying to fully understand in case I get in a market that it may make a difference.

Did they send you a notice saying they are no longer showing 45+ trips for some reason or did they just do it?

Many drivers in my area do not accept 45+ trip, not sure why, I'll take everyone I can get. I have down the math for my self 45+ trips even with no return trip are better than taking the few short to medium trips that come by.

OtherUbersdo

Haha UL has already counter-scammed you on this. You only see the 45+ if ju acceptance is above whatever (80/90 something like that). So once you begin cherry picking those, you automatically screw yourself out of being able to cherry pick them! If this hasn't come to your market yet, it will don't worry.
Not true . LYFT stopped showing these for a couple of months but they both are showing LT notifications again . My acceptance rate is extremely low .

Trafficat

Many drivers in my area do not accept 45+ trip, not sure why, I'll take everyone I can get. I have down the math for my self 45+ trips even with no return trip are better than taking the few short to medium trips that come by.
If you get flat surge, it essentially only rewards short trips and makes long trips less profitable. Based on my math short trips are the worst except during surge where they are the best. The 5 minute countdown timer for the rider to get in is what makes short rides unprofitable, even if you get them back to back.

Spend 5 minutes driving, 5 minutes waiting, and that could in theory be 6 fares per hour. But at only $3 a fare, that would only be $18 in revenue even if you got 6 short rides.... I estimate this to work out to around $13/hr profit for me. But with a $3 flat surge on each ride, that could be $31/hr.

Assuming no surge, long trips are better than the super short ones, but usually have no possibility of a return trip if they take you out of the city, or worse, out of the state where return trips are illegal. In my market, assuming a trip that is an hour there and an hour back, I calculate this to work out to around $18/hr profit for me.

I have found the most profitable rides are the ones that take me from one end of town to the other, but not out of the town entirely. During a busy time you are very likely to get a new ride right at the pickup. These rides may be about 15 minutes long and payout about $15. Add 5 minutes wait time and if I could get 3 in a row I estimate about $25/hr profit for me.

touberornottouber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The thing about short rides and the current rates is they are also demoralizing. In my market a minimum fare is $3 so if I do 30 minimum fares I won't even make $100.

Short rides can be good sometimes but very rarely. One of these circumstances is when they are from known tippers or people with a high propensity to tip. We had one group here about a month ago where about 50% would tip you $3+ for every ride. The problem is Uber killed tipping culture for us. Here it is extremely rare for the locals to tip and the locals going to work or school tend to be these short rides.

Trafficat's post was very good. I find the average short ride takes me about 12-15 minutes from ping to dropoff. For me that means at best getting four per hour at $3 each for a total of $12. That's $12 an hour assuming I am rolling constantly. But that doesn't take into account expenses. Usually what happens though is it is one or two of these rides per hour and that is it. That means earning $6 an hour before expenses which clearly will not work.

FLKeys

If you get flat surge, it essentially only rewards short trips and makes long trips less profitable. Based on my math short trips are the worst except during surge where they are the best. The 5 minute countdown timer for the rider to get in is what makes short rides unprofitable, even if you get them back to back.

Spend 5 minutes driving, 5 minutes waiting, and that could in theory be 6 fares per hour. But at only $3 a fare, that would only be $18 in revenue even if you got 6 short rides.... I estimate this to work out to around $13/hr profit for me. But with a $3 flat surge on each ride, that could be $31/hr.

Assuming no surge, long trips are better than the super short ones, but usually have no possibility of a return trip if they take you out of the city, or worse, out of the state where return trips are illegal. In my market, assuming a trip that is an hour there and an hour back, I calculate this to work out to around $18/hr profit for me.

I have found the most profitable rides are the ones that take me from one end of town to the other, but not out of the town entirely. During a busy time you are very likely to get a new ride right at the pickup. These rides may be about 15 minutes long and payout about $15. Add 5 minutes wait time and if I could get 3 in a row I estimate about $25/hr profit for me.
In my market the most profitable rides are 4-6 miles as they keep me in a busy area with minimal drive for next ping. 10-12 mile rides usually end in a non busy area with at least 4 miles back to be in the zone. My biggest factor is volume, just don't get enough pings here, so spend a lot of time waiting on pings.

Tom Oldman

Author
Do this in residential areas and when not far away from popular desitnations. The reason being most of the rides during these times are people going a short distance to work or school where they need to be there on the hour such as 9:00am.

Just go offline then and take a break. This is a good way to be more profitable and also protest the low pay for short trips. Send the companies a message that they will need to start increasing our pay for short rides or we are not going to do them.
Good point, it totally makes sense, I'm gonna try that. Thanks

Juggalo9er

I guess you have a point. 45+ trips are very rare in those areas where I do this though. Going offline saves your decline rate (if that matters at all for you). I don't really care other than I suspect it is taken into account in the algorithm somehow where I will get less future runs if I decline a lot so if I'm not accepting most trips I usually just go offline.
It literally makes no difference at all

Not in future requests... Nothing

LuxCarSpy

Agreed - Been doing that for months - Also stopped doing consecutive trip promotions (ie 3 rides for $5 etc) - Result is income up and income per mile (on car) actually up and gas cost down.

Caught and documented (have screen shots) Uber showing surge areas and not including surge incentive on ride requests in the surge area..I let requests lapse or decline them. Problem so bad I thought someone was hacking system...