1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Tip culture

Discussion in 'Deliver' started by chamomiami, Sep 27, 2017.

1. chamomiami

chamomiami Active Member

The other day i was reading about tipping for a pizza delivery is part of our culture and i relate that with the fat of receiving any service, most people in this country that provide any service depend on tips... so i dont understand why is so hard really hard to receive tips when we deliver with this new era of apps, is the app that need to push hard their users to appreciate our service to compensate the low pay rate or is the new era of lazy millennials users that need to learn how the system works?

Rickshaw likes this.
  2. andaas

andaas Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Uber "trained" it's customers that tipping was "not necessary" for the service it provides. This was done initially by LYING to customers with statements like "tip included", which was later changed (after legal action), to "no need to tip" and similar statements; and was even more deceptive with the forced selection of "tip amount for UberTAXI" prompt that many customers saw on first use and assumed applied to *ALL* rides.

After years and years of this, Uber and all of the services provided under the Uber brand became synonymous with not tipping.

Uber's addition of a tipping option is a nice gesture, but the damage was done long ago. It will not be easy to undo years of training that there is no need to tip.

Rickshaw, Prius13 and uberboy1212 like this.
  3. Tbc007

Tbc007 New Member

Non existant.

Back in the day I worked at Domino's Pizza... almost every delivery had a tip. Tipping was so prevalent, the entire Domino's crew knew the exact addresses of those who never tipped. No one ever did anything nasty to their food (that's just wrong), but we didn't prioritize their deliveries.

Rickshaw likes this.
  4. DirkDeadeye

DirkDeadeye Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Ugh, what kind of ******* doesn't tip the pizza guy? Even before all these services. I always gave them a fiver. (unless it's a party, then you're getting a 20, for lugging all those pies, 30 if you're awesome and bring plates, napkins and pepper/cheese) I think I need to tip more, 5 bucks might not be the five bucks it used to be. And I never have to wait long for a pizza to show up. I get them in so hot, I can't even eat it for a few minutes.

Rickshaw and chamomiami like this.
  5. Friendly Jack

Friendly Jack Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The only way to undo the no-tip conditioning is to not provide the service until riders better appreciate us drivers.

Rickshaw likes this.

6. DannyDrives

DannyDrives New Member

Hmmm... definitely not against that idea. Lol too bad people need money. That's my May reason for doing UE, PM and DD at the same time so I can make more money. Unfortunately sometimes the customers get longer wait times. /shrug

Rickshaw likes this.
  7. uberboy1212

uberboy1212 Active Member

I can somewhat understand when Uber customers dont tip since it is mostly Uber's fault. Many Uber customers genuinely still think that the tip is included. Its the Grubhub and Pizza customers I really cant stand. These are the lowest of the low. The same people that dont tip at restaurants.

MHR and Rickshaw like this.
  8. Prius13

Prius13 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I now know, anything that less than $9 or $10 GH order, the customer didn't tip. I will skip on those. Same policy as DD. Learned this lesson last night, after months of doing DD and GH. To this day, UE customers still do not tip, after doing UE last night (haven't done it in three months). I have been exclusively delivering for DD and GH.

We'll see about Caviar. Just got approved.

Rickshaw likes this.
  9. Don'tchasethesurge

Don'tchasethesurge Well-Known Member

I was until recently doing delivery for dominos... I would hate ppl who order over $100 dollars worth of pizza with zero tip. I stop working for my dominos after I got tired to driving to this one area of town and never getting tips. This area is 5 miles from dominos which turns to 10 mile trip with no tip. It would eat in to my profit.

Rickshaw likes this.
  10. Prius13

Prius13 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    If the GH order payout is <$10, I have made a decision not to accept it. I have no idea how these people sleep at night.

Attached Files:

Rickshaw likes this.
  11. LauraC

LauraC New Member

I deliver for DD, PM and GH so I also wish customers tipped more. However I finally understand why they don't, especially on low amount orders. It's not necessarily because they're cheap, it's because these services are expensive and once again, especially on low amount orders.

I wasn't feeling good the other day so decided to place an order from Taco Bell thru PM and DD, GH doesn't do TB. My food amount, for both, came to $12.xx + tax, service fee and 5.99 delivery for total of $22. If I tipped $2, I would be paying close to 100 percent more for my food to have it delivered. This was from a TB less then 4 miles from my house. I would have paid around $8 just to use DD/PM and have to tip on top of that for a $12 + tax order. I chose not to order.

Call me cheap, call customers cheap, call it no tip culture, fact is, these services charge a lot. Customers will either decide not to order or not tip to cut back on cost. And I don't blame them. How many of you would order something online if you had to pay 100 percent more for shipping?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  12. tcaud

tcaud Member

If it's not a large order, don't order it. Not cost effective. Only people who order delivery for small orders are people with money to burn.

Rickshaw likes this.
  13. LauraC

LauraC New Member

But as a driver that's not what you want. You want to get as many orders as possible but also make money on those orders. As it is, you make around $4 per small order with little chance of getting tips. In my area, I avg 2 of these orders an hour, so I'm only making $8/hr. I don't accept most of these orders so I sit wasting my time not making money also. But how do you expect customers to tip when their getting charged 5.99 delivery plus service fee.

DD/PM need to pay drivers the entire delivery fee, not just a percentage. I'd avg $12/hr with no tips if they did. Not great but not bad, worth doing small deliveries for. These companies already get the service fee and around 30 percent from the restaurant, yet they still take a percentage of the delivery fee from the drivers.

Rickshaw likes this.
  14. Joesmith2012

Joesmith2012 New Member

did a delivery to a group of nurses at the local hospital the bill was well over $100 worth of food along with drinks, I was sure I would get a tip showed up handed the food and nothing, not a dime, I was pretty livid, just handled $100 worth of food had to wait a good 20 mins in the restaurant to prepare all that and nada, I should have cancelled on that job.

MHR and Rickshaw like this.
  15. chamomiami

chamomiami Active Member

16. damphoose

damphoose New Member

Not true. These same people that don't tip food delivery DO tip at restaurants. The reason? Public shame. They are with friends, plus they have to look the waiter in the eye and hand them the signed credit card receipt with no tip. Plus many restaurants add on tip automatically. All or some combination of that means they tip. At a bar if you don't tip after the first drink the bartender will hang out at the other end of the bar and ignore your ass.
    At many small shops I go to for coffee etc. they have those iPads you sign on and the options are usually 10%, 15% 25%. No tip is sometimes not even an option.

Then they hop into your car and money and CC never change hands so no guilt.

I have a cab driver friend who said before Uber 95% of customers tipped. He said the only people who didn't tip were people who had like exact fare to get from point A to point B. Basically people who only take cabs once every 5 years and really only have barely enough to pay for the fare.

He said now only about 40-60% of cab passengers tip. Blame Uber.

17. uberboy1212

Exactly. And if they have that kind of money to burn then they should have money to tip

18. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    If there was any charge like $6 service fee, a lot of people would not tip at restaurants anymore

19. uberboy1212

It makes no difference what the amount is compared to the cost of food. That $5.99 you paid is for the privilege of using one of GHs drivers. The driver does the same amount of work for small orders as they do for big. You should know this considering you actually work for these gigs. Yes it’s exoensive that’s why it’s a luxury that I rarely use. If you have money to use these premium services the. You should have money to tip as well

That $6.00 is from a delivery service. That delivery costs money. A restaurant service see doesn’t make sense

20. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    First these services charge the restaurants between 20-35% of th total order and make more than the restaurants for delivering food.

My point was you said the sale people that ordered food would tip on a restaurant. My point was if there was any kind of charge for service on a bill people would tip a lot less or none at all.

In addition even if you order directly from the restaurant, I am comfortable in saying about 99% of them charge for delivery as well and those drivers are still getting tips. $6-7 for delivery in addition to 20-35% of the check is outragous