• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Time to leave Toronto?

Judgeetox

Taking out the two fast lanes and creating a commuter line down the centre would make a lot more sense. We only need to look at the way the Chinese are rebuilding their transportation systems are a new model to supplant cars.
It’s that bloody rail bridge south of lawrence that prevents any widening or other improvements to the DVP. All of the other bridges are relatively easy to modify...that one pseudo-stone arch rail bridge (which I can’t seem to dig up any history on) is the only thing holding up any improvements to the DVP

Karl Marx

It’s that bloody rail bridge south of lawrence that prevents any widening or other improvements to the DVP. All of the other bridges are relatively easy to modify...that one pseudo-stone arch rail bridge (which I can’t seem to dig up any history on) is the only thing holding up any improvements to the DVP
I remember several years ago a tank driver ran his truck trailer filled with gasoline into that bridge to avoid an accident on the DVP, a man with a large young family gave his life to save many people. A incredible sacrifice he made that day and a true hero. Driving around fossil fuel truck bombs is an incredible responsibility and the sooner we end this nonsense the better.

Judgeetox

I remember several years ago a tank driver ran his truck trailer filled with gasoline into that bridge to avoid an accident on the DVP, a man with a large young family gave his life to save many people. A incredible sacrifice he made that day and a true hero. Driving around fossil fuel truck bombs is an incredible responsibility and the sooner we end this nonsense the better.
The DVP was never meant to accommodate this much density. I used to tell Pax that our family cottage used to be IN Richmond Hill and a trip to the cottage DURING rush hour on a Friday would take 45 minutes TOPS! and they wouldn’t believe me! I don’t think there have been any significant improvements to the DVP since then

Judgeetox

2 years of on and off construction? YBY ramps closing? Narrowed roads at York already at the on ramp!!!
Time to go to Windsor or anywhere other than GTA.
This city has the worst planners ever.Ive never seen such a crappy administration anywhere I’ve lived. They already have construction on DVP and York st roads are as wide as two cars at best and they decide it’s the best time to close of the gardiner? Who does all this?
It’s been this way since amalgamation. I made a plan and it took 5 years to get out and move to a nice small town. It’s been just over 3 years since I pulled the pin and I couldn’t be happier with the decision.

Rockydrive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It’s been this way since amalgamation. I made a plan and it took 5 years to get out and move to a nice small town. It’s been just over 3 years since I pulled the pin and I couldn’t be happier with the decision.
Which small town did you move to?

Petrikov

I would go for multidimensional concept suggested by Mask , we have to go with tunnels. Need more lanes then dig another tunnel parallel or under existing tunnels. We need his Boring company here. We can drill as many bicycle lanes as bicyclists, everyone get his/her own lane to work.

Rockydrive

I would go for multidimensional concept suggested by Mask , we have to go with tunnels. Need more lanes then dig another tunnel parallel or under existing tunnels. We need his Boring company here.
U mean musk right? Well, digging a tunnel doesn’t solve the crisis right now.For the future it may but right now we have to suffer for years and years wasting precious time sitting in traffic.
I don’t know if I have seen a worse planned city than Toronto in my life and I’ve been to quite a lot. This is a city built with no common sense or logic so that goes back a century to be fair.
On the exact same day they will have a game or concert in Scotiabank,Rogers centre and BMo field along with all the construction and chaos in the city and they would throw in some show or conference or even a Comicon at the metro for good measure.If there is a boat show at the enercare, even better.
Millions of man hours wasted sitting in traffic. The only big city with all it’s entertainment stops bang right in the middle of all the traffic and chaos. If the city is doing any planning the first one they should do is recommission all the stadiums within the city and build new ones outside the city and into the suburbs. Just this one act would spread out the population and reduce congestion(not an easy task and not one that would ever happen).

Such a Vast country yet it’s biggest city is a hell hole designed to suffocate people with narrow roads and concrete enclosures!so close to each other at probably an arms length form one another.

Karl Marx

hmmm looks like i'm going to be starting off in the west end now :wink:
The west end is the best end. Geographically speaking, when I was doing Urban geography as a undergrad I learned that throughout history the west end of cities were always the most prosperous and healthiest part to live in.

racer26

DVP is a mess because it is handling all the east end traffic it was never meant to. The Gardiner was supposed to connect to the 2A stub at the 401, passing through scarborough more or less along the rail corridor.

427/Gardiner and DVP also share all of the traffic that was supposed to be carried by the Allen too. It was supposed to connect to gardiner down somewhere near exhibition place.

Rockydrive

West end is a gamble all the time. If you have a number in mind that you have to hit everyday you can comfortably forget it cos 15/hr will be dream at times and sometimes west end will throw surprises at you like 40/hr weekdays. DT and east end is stable.....18-22/hr is a given.

Ahmado

DVP is a mess because it is handling all the east end traffic it was never meant to. The Gardiner was supposed to connect to the 2A stub at the 401, passing through scarborough more or less along the rail corridor.

427/Gardiner and DVP also share all of the traffic that was supposed to be carried by the Allen too. It was supposed to connect to gardiner down somewhere near exhibition place.
Allen road to the south would make Toronto a great city, as a drivers we will not hate going north if Allen or Avenue were a highways

I think this was a project beside building an Olympic stadium at lakeshore east late 1980s but somehow didn't get enough votes
Post automatically merged:

The west end in the best end.
Expect busy night in Etobicoke tonight as UP drivers are moving to west end

Rockydrive

You have to be extremely lucky to stay in the west end cos your 4th trip will most certainly take you DT and with that goes the west end dream.
I used to drive empty From Oakville to Etobicoke or Sauga to get to DT now I drive away from DT.

hooj

To be honest I share same sentiment. I came to TO in 2008... since then it is more and more of a cluster f***. I used to enjoy going places in the city.... now it's a daily [and painful] activity just to get few streets over. Whomever is running this city needs be flogged and fired.
I came to Toronto in 1983.

It’s still the best place on earth.
Getting a job that doesn’t involve driving downtown isn’t a real solution for a large swath of the population.

It’s akin to trying to stop obesity by simply saying “don’t eat”.
i think that’s a bit of an extreme example. Not driving downtown and getting a job closer to home can easily be done by making sound financial choices.

If you make $26 downtown but take a job close to home for $20 you can cut down on commute time, which equals more time with family, buying more food for home to make meals for work rather than rushing to work and buying take out daily. Carpooling or even ridesharing closer to home would eliminate needing a second car as well.

I think lots of people are caught up in this notion they have to live in the city to get a good paying job when you can take a haircut living closer to home which in turn cuts down a lot of expenses.

Easy example is a house. People freak when they see $1m homes in Toronto but a lot of those people don’t have $300 biweekly car payments, or $150 monthly insurance payments and $80 per week gas bills. That’s over $1000 per month saved by just not having a car! By a house in the burbs for $500-700k sure, but that savings gets swallowed up quicktime once you start adding cars, time, stress, etc.

When I drive my kids to school, and drive eastbound home to hit bed at 9am each day, seeing the gridlock literally makes me laugh sometimes at how much time, gas, energy, stress I don’t have to waste for an extra $3-$5 an hour.

Anyhow. To each their own.

The point is, it’s not how much you make some times, but how much you don’t spend.
Post automatically merged:

A
U mean musk right? Well, digging a tunnel doesn’t solve the crisis right now.For the future it may but right now we have to suffer for years and years wasting precious time sitting in traffic.
I don’t know if I have seen a worse planned city than Toronto in my life and I’ve been to quite a lot. This is a city built with no common sense or logic so that goes back a century to be fair.
On the exact same day they will have a game or concert in Scotiabank,Rogers centre and BMo field along with all the construction and chaos in the city and they would throw in some show or conference or even a Comicon at the metro for good measure.If there is a boat show at the enercare, even better.
Millions of man hours wasted sitting in traffic. The only big city with all it’s entertainment stops bang right in the middle of all the traffic and chaos. If the city is doing any planning the first one they should do is recommission all the stadiums within the city and build new ones outside the city and into the suburbs. Just this one act would spread out the population and reduce congestion(not an easy task and not one that would ever happen).

Such a Vast country yet it’s biggest city is a hell hole designed to suffocate people with narrow roads and concrete enclosures!so close to each other at probably an arms length form one another.
all of these venues are easily accessible by transit. If you chose to drive to get there then you’ve made your own bed.

When I took my oldest to the raptors parade I knew it was going to be bonkers. Not for a second did I consider driving. But those who did probably complained about the traffic.

Last edited: