• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Time to leave Toronto?

Rockydrive

2 years of on and off construction? YBY ramps closing? Narrowed roads at York already at the on ramp!!!
Time to go to Windsor or anywhere other than GTA.
This city has the worst planners ever.Ive never seen such a crappy administration anywhere I’ve lived. They already have construction on DVP and York st roads are as wide as two cars at best and they decide it’s the best time to close of the gardiner? Who does all this?

Attachments

CEO420

Some smart cookie decides to start construction at DVP and Gardiner Expressway at the same time. Nice. I would like to meet this smart cookie.

Toronto needs to change its slogan to "Always Under Construction"

dmoney155

2 years of on and off construction? YBY ramps closing? Narrowed roads at York already at the on ramp!!!
Time to go to Windsor or anywhere other than GTA.
This city has the worst planners ever.Ive never seen such a crappy administration anywhere I’ve lived. They already have construction on DVP and York st roads are as wide as two cars at best and they decide it’s the best time to close of the gardiner? Who does all this?
To be honest I share same sentiment. I came to TO in 2008... since then it is more and more of a cluster f***. I used to enjoy going places in the city.... now it's a daily [and painful] activity just to get few streets over. Whomever is running this city needs be flogged and fired.

Rockydrive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
just waiting for a couple of life events to come to fruition and it’s going to be adios Toronto for me.....another year maybe.

Ahmado

Starts this week
Leaving this week

I haven't been in Toronto for the last three days
Suburbs Uber is good

MUGATS

They are going to have to get radical in terms of fixing the congestion downtown.

London UK charges you about $20 daily if you drive in a “congestion zone”

There are exemptions. To this fee for certain people who can’t use public transit etc.

Or they are going to have to reintroduce HUGE tax rebates to encourage public transit.

Ahmado

They are going to have to get radical in terms of fixing the congestion downtown.

London UK charges you about $20 daily if you drive in a “congestion zone”

There are exemptions. To this fee for certain people who can’t use public transit etc.

Or they are going to have to reintroduce HUGE tax rebates to encourage public transit.
But Toronto isn't London
They can't do it

hooj

simple solutions.

Don’t drive downtown.
Don’t get a job that involves driving downtown.

Done.
Post automatically merged:

Mayor mccheese er Tory and his gang of bike lovers run the show
Tory is a pretty likable mayor.
I think he’s doing a good job.

Karl Marx

But Toronto isn't London
They can't do it
When businesses realize they're going to have to pay more to move goods and as streets become a crawl it will be more than obvious that changes will have to come. Our streets were originally designed with horses and buggies in mind and never were they meant for the automobile nor for transports or buses. The entire construct of our present cities are still a harkening back to the late 18th century. As densification becomes even more intense we will have no choice but to completely abandon private transportation in most of our cities. One of the first new limitations will no doubt be eliminating Ubers' unfettered access to public roads in the central parts of Toronto.

MUGATS

simple solutions.

Don’t drive downtown.
Don’t get a job that involves driving downtown.

Done.

Tory is a pretty likable mayor.
I think he’s doing a good job.
Getting a job that doesn’t involve driving downtown isn’t a real solution for a large swath of the population.

It’s akin to trying to stop obesity by simply saying “don’t eat”.

Karl Marx

Getting a job that doesn’t involve driving downtown isn’t a real solution for a large swath of the population.

It’s akin to trying to stop obesity by simply saying “don’t eat”.
I was driving in TO a few weeks back and I noticed many more cars with 2 or more people. Even the the HOV lanes are getting crowded.

Rockydrive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Up until last year driving during the morning rush hour was alright,only the afternoon rush hour added wrinkles to your skin.
Now it’s a different story, even in the morning you get absolutely hammered due to the sheer number of cars on the road and the bikes and mobility scooters and streetcars and buses and cabs.......oh my G.Now add construction to that and we have a total gridlock.
I mean I hate to use the word @@@@@@ but the guy(s) who sanctioned the YBY ramp in the first place which they are closing now and the work on York st,DVP and Gardiner at the same time deserves to be called a @@@@@@.
Then they approve the Honda Indy,the shooting game Caribbean festival parade and Pride parade and marathon for heart,lungs,liver and spleen etc etc.....if the traffic doesn’t kill you, the sheer audacity of these wankers in making these decisions will depress you in to killing yourself.

MUGATS

I was driving in TO a few weeks back and I noticed many more cars with 2 or more people. Even the the HOV lanes are getting crowded.
Right now carpooling and public transit are “asks” of the public. In reality there needs to be a true carrot and stick option in place.

This has to happen with both commuters and companies.

The govt has to facilitate these changes.

First with companies....

I’ve posted before that the 5 day work week needs to be abandoned. Not in the sense that people need to work more, but that people need to work less and smarter.

We have technology now that allows people to meet remotely. I have a meeting every week that involves me taking a call from my phone and watching a presentation slide across my laptop screen.

How many people are commuting into work because of similar meetings? Maybe 1 hour of meetings and 7 hours of cubicle work that can be done ANYWHERE. What a waste.

Also....People in many industries work Tues-Sat, Wed-Sun. Etc.... where does it say that ALL staff need to confirm their work function to “traditional” 9-5 (M-F) office hours. To me this is just idiocy.

Go Train service has to get better and expand beyond the traditional service areas. I mean to Hamilton and Niagara and beyond Oshawa.

Now commuters....

These people need to have incentives to abandon their commute. Public options and carpooling needs to be pushed further and there needs to be a rebate via tax credit for those who take advantage of these means to reduce congestion.

Conversely a $20 entry fee into the core for your car each day would remove the financial incentive to drive in. Perhaps you get 10 days a month “free” driving in and the rest are hit with a $20 fee.

My wife carpools to work every day. She gets a reduced cost parking spot at work for doing so.
4 people are part of her carpool and this program reduces the number of cars on the road in her group by 75%. She saves gas/money and impact to the environment.

If there is a will, there is a way. The current dope would never do it but maybe the next Premier.

Karl Marx

Right now carpooling and public transit are “asks” of the public. In reality there needs to be a true carrot and stick option in place.

This has to happen with both commuters and companies.

The govt has to facilitate these changes.

First with companies....

I’ve posted before that the 5 day work week needs to be abandoned. Not in the sense that people need to work more, but that people need to work less and smarter.

We have technology now that allows people to meet remotely. I have a meeting every week that involves me taking a call from my phone and watching a presentation slide across my laptop screen.

How many people are commuting into work because of similar meetings? Maybe 1 hour of meetings and 7 hours of cubicle work that can be done ANYWHERE. What a waste.

Also....People in many industries work Tues-Sat, Wed-Sun. Etc.... where does it say that ALL staff need to confirm their work function to “traditional” 9-5 (M-F) office hours. To me this is just idiocy.

Go Train service has to get better and expand beyond the traditional service areas. I mean to Hamilton and Niagara and beyond Oshawa.

Now commuters....

These people need to have incentives to abandon their commute. Public options and carpooling needs to be pushed further and there needs to be a rebate via tax credit for those who take advantage of these means to reduce congestion.

Conversely a $20 entry fee into the core for your car each day would remove the financial incentive to drive in. Perhaps you get 10 days a month “free” driving in and the rest are hit with a $20 fee.

My wife carpools to work every day. She gets a reduced cost parking spot at work for doing so.
4 people are part of her carpool and this program reduces the number of cars on the road in her group by 75%. She saves gas/money and impact to the environment.

If there is a will, there is a way. The current dope would never do it but maybe the next Premier.
All great ideas but even if they were fully adopted it would largely be negated by the mere fact that Toronto and the GTA are now growing at over 175,000 people a year. We are now entering the era of super cities and the end of the private commute. Car pooling doesn't solve the mass transit imperative. We need to seriously look at the King street experiment to look no further than the need to reduce car culture to the the very privileged and essential workers. Places like Zurich are a fine example where even the multi millionaires and billionaire class use public transit.

Up until last year driving during the morning rush hour was alright,only the afternoon rush hour added wrinkles to your skin.
Now it’s a different story, even in the morning you get absolutely hammered due to the sheer number of cars on the road and the bikes and mobility scooters and streetcars and buses and cabs.......oh my G.Now add construction to that and we have a total gridlock.
I mean I hate to use the word @@@@@@ but the guy(s) who sanctioned the YBY ramp in the first place which they are closing now and the work on York st,DVP and Gardiner at the same time deserves to be called a @@@@@@.
Then they approve the Honda Indy,the shooting game Caribbean festival parade and Pride parade and marathon for heart,lungs,liver and spleen etc etc.....if the traffic doesn’t kill you, the sheer audacity of these wankers in making these decisions will depress you in to killing yourself.
I always thought the Indy was a antiquated event and a last node to the fossil fuel lobby. The number of people that attend this event are minuscule and if any event screams climate change this is it. This should have ended years ago. I think it is much more exciting watching the traffic come down the DVP than watching the Indy ever was. Even at the non peak times the DVP is essentially a moving side walk. Taking out the two fast lanes and creating a commuter line down the centre would make a lot more sense. We only need to look at the way the Chinese are rebuilding their transportation systems are a new model to supplant cars.

Last edited: