Uber Drivers Forum banner

Tijuana airport

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  frndthDuvel 
#1 · (Edited)
Dropped off a PAX at SAN this morning. Slowly cruised Harbor Island, within 5 minutes got a ping over at the AVIS lot. Pulled up to a family of 4 with lots of luggage. Nice they realized to call an XL. Started the trip and found out they were headed to the Tijuana Airport. Huh? They even had a price quote from UBER,100 dollars. I said I was a bit unsure of this, he said then he could go to AMTRAK and take a shuttle to TJ Airport. I figured what the hell, I'll try it and see what happens.

So off 5 S we go. The UBER app showed navigation going in at San Ysidro and then airport from there. We both decided going in at Otay was best. Me especially since I was going to take the stupid chance of going without Mexican insurance. Shoot drove ,onths without proper insurance before in the states. he he Well a few miles from the 905 I remembered, holy smokes how am I going to get out of Mexico? I don't have no schtinkin badges, I don't need no schtinkin badges. BUT I did need a passport to get out. Great family, more well off than not. They recognized my problem and decided they could probably get a cab from Otay, if not a Mexican UBER. Something he would not consider when I told him I could drop him off at the border at the beginning of the trip. Pulled up near Otay, ended the trip a bit sooner(about 2 dollars) for them as a courtesy as we looked for the cab line. One of the cabbies stepped up and agreed to take them to the airport, turn out his private vehicle was around the corner. he wanted 60,they settled on 45. UBER bill was 68. So less than 15 dollars higher than his UBER quote and everybody was happy. Has anybody else crossed the border while UBER? Great ride,but definitely decided I will never cross into Mexico to give a ride.To the border but not across.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dropped off a PAX at SAN this morning. Slowly cruised Harbor Island, within 5 minutes got a ping over at the AVIS lot. Pulled up to a family of 4 with lots of luggage. Nice they realized to call an XL. Started the trip and found out they were headed to the Tijuana Airport. Huh? They even had a price quote from UBER,100 dollars. I said I was a bit unsure of this, he said then he could go to AMTRAK and take a shuttle to TJ Airport. I figured what the hell, I'll try it and see what happens.

So off 5 S we go. The UBER app showed navigation going in at San Ysidro and then airport from there. We both decided going in at Otay was best. Me especially since I was going to take the stupid chance of going without Mexican insurance. Well a few miles from the 905 I remembered, holy smokes how am I going to get out of Mexico? I don't have no schtinkin badges, I don't need no schtinkin badges. BUT I did need a passport to get out. Great family, more well off than not. They recognized my problem and decided they could probably get a cab from Otay, if not a Mexican UBER. Something he did not consider when I told him I could drop him off at the border. Pulled up near Otay, ended the trip a bit sooner(about 2 dollars) for them as a courtesy as we looked for the cab line. One of the cabbies stepped up and agreed to take them to the airport, turn out his private vehicle was around the corner. he wanted 60,they settled on 45. UBER bill was 68. So less than 15 dollars higher than his UBER quote and everybody was happy. Has anybody else crossed the border while UBER? Great ride,but definitely decided I will never cross into Mexico to give a ride.To the border but not across.
They are working on a pedestrian bridge that connects straight to TIJ airport.

Once completed that should bring SD drivers a lot of business.

#4 ·

So off 5 S we go. The UBER app showed navigation going in at San Ysidro and then airport from there. We both decided going in at Otay was best. Me especially since I was going to take the stupid chance of going without Mexican insurance. Well a few miles from the 905 I remembered, holy smokes how am I going to get out of Mexico? I don't have no schtinkin badges, I don't need no schtinkin badges. BUT I did need a passport to get out. Great family, more well off than not. They recognized my problem and decided they could probably get a cab from Otay, if not a Mexican UBER. Something he did not consider when I told him I could drop him off at the border. Pulled up near Otay, ended the trip a bit sooner(about 2 dollars) for them as a courtesy as we looked for the cab line. One of the cabbies stepped up and agreed to take them to the airport, turn out his private vehicle was around the corner. he wanted 60,they settled on 45. UBER bill was 68. So less than 15 dollars higher than his UBER quote and everybody was happy. Has anybody else crossed the border while UBER? Great ride,but definitely decided I will never cross into Mexico to give a ride.To the border but not across.
I drop off at the border all the time. I've been offered cash for taking them home in TJ but I decline. Not worth the 3-4 hours wait time to cross back.

#5 ·
UBER should not allow them to put in an address in Mexico. A warning should pop up saying not all Drivers will go into Mexico. As I did not see the destination of course until I started the trip. They should have it so a Mexico UBER is at the other side of the border ready to go or something. The PAX I picked up was expecting a ride to the Tijuana airport because UBER showed it on his phone. And the navigation to go in through San Ysidro and not Otay is somewhat inexcusable, but not unexpected as well. Going to have to write them and say WTF?

#6 ·

http://www.briansumers.com/home/201...om-san-diego-to-tijuana-international-airport

#7 ·
i've thought about how i would handle this too. my biggest concern being, I know the mexican officials dont stop you all the time (not nearly as often as US obviously) but lets suppose your lucky number comes up, you're responsible for whats in the car going over an international checkpoint. i dont want to know what's going to happen with that.

also i've asked a few people about Uber in TJ, I've heard the taxi lobby over there is even worse than here. I've heard before that the yellow cabs can be very abusive (physically) with the taxi libres these are fellow countrymen, I dont want to push what they think of me an american on their turf circumventing their business.

even though I carry my border crossing docs (I buy gas down there during non-peak border crossing hours) I dont know if it's worth crossing.

#8 ·
I drop off at the border all the time. I've been offered cash for taking them home in TJ but I decline. Not worth the 3-4 hours wait time to cross back.
There it is. If you know the area, you know it will be 2 hours minimum lost time.
Also the Mexican Government is creating a "port of entry" to check south bound vehicles.

No money in crossing the border with the possibility of loosing your vehicle.
Remember in Mexico they do not have to prove you broke the law, you have to prove you did not. Napoleonic law in Mexico.

#10 ·
I had already started the trip, so of course my ratings might have been at risk if I had said no. Though why I continue to worry about it at times, still sucks. It might have even taken a hit dropping him off at the Amtrak station for the shuttle he was prepared to do. Of course not knowing destination before opening the trip does not help. I use a Garmin GPS so I have to input the address anyway. Which I do on almost all rides just for the record of the ride if need be, such as adjusting a fare not started on time. More and more folks now input so I don't ask where they are headed as often except to confirm. I guess the next TJ ride I will head South and then remember that I do not have my crossing docs. And I will drop them off at the border. A ride to the border from most places, especially XL would be worth the 1*.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.