• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ticketed in Pacific beach tonight

O-Side Uber

I had a rider cause me to get a ticket in PB tonight. We were traveling down Garnet and my GPS said to go right on Mission, but as I put on my right signal on and got in the right turn lane, the rider exclaims that I need to go straight. There was no one next to me so I quickly changed my signal from right to left and then proceeded to veer left into the 2nd lane and just kept going straight across the intersection. The parking lot had 5 motorcycle cops ticketing the hell out of people. It was all red curbs so I turned right at the beach by the hotel and dropped the rider in the valet area. A cop then comes up to me and tickets me for going straight in the right turn lane. So petty of him. This is a $280 violation and a point on my record. My insurance will go up if this sticks. I'm going to show up to court on my date and plead not guilty. Get my court date, then wait until 2 days before my date and get a month extension. Hopefully by then he'll either forget who I was, or maybe not show up. Either way this totally sucks. Will Lyft still let me drive if I can't beat this violation 21461C? I don't have any other tickets the last decade.

Null

I would recommend doing a Trial by Declaration and a Trial de Novo if needed.

Your insurance won't go up if you're eligible for traffic school and you exercise the option even if you lose the TBD/TDN.

Buy the book "Fight your ticket and win in California." It'll explain how to fight your case.

I've abused Discovery in the past to get out of tickets. The DA/City Attorney think they're above handling traffic cases and categorically ignore pro se fauxterneys. If this happens to you can preclude the officer from testifying or presenting any evidence.

Your TRIAL date is fairly unlikely going to be rescheduled. Most extensions are granted for a notice to appear.

Also, never let pax tell you where to go. You listened to an idiot and let them drag you down with them.

O-Side Uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would recommend doing a Trial by Declaration and a Trial de Novo if needed.

Your insurance won't go up if you're eligible for traffic school and you exercise the option even if you lose the TBD/TDN.

Buy the book "Fight your ticket and win in California." It'll explain how to fight your case.

I've abused Discovery in the past to get out of tickets. The DA/City Attorney think they're above handling traffic cases and categorically ignore pro se fauxterneys. If this happens to you can preclude the officer from testifying or presenting any evidence.

Your TRIAL date is fairly unlikely going to be rescheduled. Most extensions are granted for a notice to appear.

Also, never let pax tell you where to go. You listened to an idiot and let them drag you down with them.
Thanks for the response! I will research your advice and check that book out.

DirtyRead

Call the police station tell them your law firm is going to be calling witnesses for a large up coming trial and need to know when any of these officers have vacation days scheduled. If the one that gave you the ticket does at court request an arraignment then get the case date set during the officers vacation time. It’s a long shot but...

UberEsq

Call the police station tell them your law firm is going to be calling witnesses for a large up coming trial and need to know when any of these officers have vacation days scheduled. If the one that gave you the ticket does at court request an arraignment then get the case date set during the officers vacation time. It’s a long shot but...
It's not a "long shot" it's entirely impossible and won't happen. The police won't reveal vacation schedules, the defendant cannot select the trial date, and believe it or not, cops are more likely to show up even when on "vacation" because they collect overtime. This is about the worst advice ever. OP, listen to Null.

DirtyRead

It's not a "long shot" it's entirely impossible and won't happen. The police won't reveal vacation schedules, the defendant cannot select the trial date, and believe it or not, cops are more likely to show up even when on "vacation" because they collect overtime. This is about the worst advice ever. OP, listen to Null.
it is a very abbreviated version of a social engineering trick. I really should not even suggested it. you will be surprised how often people give out important information that seems benign. Of course you don't just say hey when is officer ___ going on vacation.
Anyway the real long shot is a motorcycle cop not appearing in court. It seems they planned a 'give a ticket day' so they know when show up in court day is.

O-Side Uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I successfully got out of a seatbelt ticket last year. I appeared and gave a not guilty , got my court date. I then went online with the court a few days before my date and pushed it back another month. The officer didn't show up and they dropped it. A few other cases were dropped that day because the officers didn't remember anything about their cases, so they couldn't argue on the stand. It was kind of comical, like the movie Supertroopers.

unoriginal

Worst case if you don't beat the ticket, you can do traffic school once every 18 months in CA. No reason for your insurance to find out if you haven't had another ticket in the previous 10 years.