• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ticketed at Newark Airport

Should I keep going to the airport for Pickups?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony from New Jersey

How long have you been picking up there? I only lasted a week picking up people there. I am afraid to go back now mostly because they can impound your car too. I really don't wanna go through all that.
I also received 4 famous tickets at ewr within first two week of uber in 2014. I avoid ewr,even though temptation is there. It has left scare on my driving history. Yes i got reimbursed but that is not my point. I am willing to pay twice if that record can be removed from my driving record.
I have already paid uber 10 times more money as uber fee driving for uber. Guess what, who is ahead of the game, me or uber. My guess, UBER.

ericc

I also received 4 famous tickets at ewr within first two week of uber in 2014. I avoid ewr,even though temptation is there. It has left scare on my driving history. Yes i got reimbursed but that is not my point. I am willing to pay twice if that record can be removed from my driving record.
I have already paid uber 10 times more money as uber fee driving for uber. Guess what, who is ahead of the game, me or uber. My guess, UBER.
Wondering since you've received 4 tickets at EWR and reimbursed from Uber, what about your insurance company, your premium have increased after that?

Tony from New Jersey

2 of them were dismissed and other 2 were modified with the legal help provided by uber. I had no tickets before in last five years so my insurance increased little but not much.
Chances are if you get stopped by cop at ewr, you will receive set of famous 4 tickets in one shot, all due to ubering.

Last edited:

Coffeekeepsmedriving

So I never go to the newark airport for pickups because I was afraid I might get a ticket. But that all changes few weeks ago when I started getting email from Uber about a deal struck with the city of newark. Anyways I got a ticket for (operating limo without proper registration) yesterday at terminal C arrivals. I tried telling the cop we have a deal with newark and the dude said he doesn't care about that, he said he's enforcing state law. What is going on here? I thought it's safe to do pickups at the airport now?? Still waiting on Uber response to my ticket. I surely don't have money to pay the fine. Also I am now confused about going back to EWR. I mean how many fines are Uber willing to pay for?
Why go to the airports? Rates are the same elsewhere

street lethal

... can't believe drivers are still driving around illegally and blaming Uber. You already have your pax insurance, you now have rideshare insurance as an option through Farmers, and now you need your registration and license issued through the township in which you live or want to work in. What Newark did was essentially grant Uber drivers the ability to work in Newark, but you still need to file for your taxi and/or limo license and registration as an Uber driver. You are not an employee of Uber, they just dispatch and take their cut. As an independent contractor, if you want to drive and charge a fee, you need to go through and be recognized by NJ state law, otherwise you are breaking the law. I had a discussion with a local officer and he had stated upon asking him what he thought about it, "I don't bother with Uber drivers, I like what they are doing, but we can ticket them and impound their vehicles immediately if they are not licensed and registered properly, I just choose not to if I suspect one is in front of me, but other officers won't hesitate. It depends on the officer". Guys, let me make this simple for you, the only difference between a New York TLC Uber and a New Jersey OL Uber is that, for whatever reason, Uber allows the app to remain functioning in New Jersey for drivers without an OL registration. In New York if you have no TLC it will not work despite having a sign on. That is the only difference, and this does not make it legal for New Jersey drivers without an OL, it was just a way to introduce Uber to New Jersey. Has nothing to do with Newark and the EWR, it is statewide law, you need your OL.

atthehop

... can't believe drivers are still driving around illegally and blaming Uber. You already have your pax insurance, you now have rideshare insurance as an option through Farmers, and now you need your registration and license issued through the township in which you live or want to work in. What Newark did was essentially grant Uber drivers the ability to work in Newark, but you still need to file for your taxi and/or limo license and registration as an Uber driver. You are not an employee of Uber, they just dispatch and take their cut. As an independent contractor, if you want to drive and charge a fee, you need to go through and be recognized by NJ state law, otherwise you are breaking the law. I had a discussion with a local officer and he had stated upon asking him what he thought about it, "I don't bother with Uber drivers, I like what they are doing, but we can ticket them and impound their vehicles immediately if they are not licensed and registered properly, I just choose not to if I suspect one is in front of me, but other officers won't hesitate. It depends on the officer". Guys, let me make this simple for you, the only difference between a New York TLC Uber and a New Jersey OL Uber is that, for whatever reason, Uber allows the app to remain functioning in New Jersey for drivers without an OL registration. In New York if you have no TLC it will not work despite having a sign on. That is the only difference, and this does not make it legal for New Jersey drivers without an OL, it was just a way to introduce Uber to New Jersey. Has nothing to do with Newark and the EWR, it is statewide law, you need your OL.
As true as this is too many drivers cannot read English.

CowboyMC

It is illegal to do an Uber pick up even with TLC or OL plates at EWR. It is considered a "street hail" and you need a taxi permit to do that. You can drop off legally.
Produce the law that states that. It's not a street hail if client made an appointment. Even if it is a short notice one.

CowboyMC

That is talking about omnibus registration. Doesn't say anything about street hailing.
39:3-19.1. Any person owning or operating a motor vehicle who shall use his motor vehicle for transportation of passengers for hire, without having an omnibus registration as provided for in section 39:3-19 of this title, shall be subject to a fine of $250 for a first offense, and the unregistered motor vehicle so used may be impounded. Any offender who shall be convicted of a second or any subsequent offense of the same violation shall be subject to a fine of $500, and the unregistered motor vehicle so used may be impounded.

Any police officer is authorized to remove any such unregistered motor vehicle from the public highway to a storage space or garage, and the expense involved in such removal and storing of the vehicle shall be borne by the owner of the vehicle, except that the expense shall be borne by the lessee of a leased vehicle.

In addition to and independent of any fine or other penalty provided for under law, the court shall impose a fine of $150 on any driver or operator of an omnibus, convicted of a violation of this section, who does not have a certificate of public convenience and necessity as required pursuant to R.S.48:4-3. The State Treasurer shall annually deposit the monies collected from the fines imposed pursuant to this paragraph to the "Omnibus Safety Enforcement Fund" established pursuant to section 4 of P.L.2007, c.40 (C.39:3-79.23). The fine described herein shall not be deemed a fine, penalty, or forfeiture pursuant to R.S.39:5-41.

atthehop

That is talking about omnibus registration. Doesn't say anything about street hailing.
39:3-19.1. Any person owning or operating a motor vehicle who shall use his motor vehicle for transportation of passengers for hire, without having an omnibus registration as provided for in section 39:3-19 of this title, shall be subject to a fine of $250 for a first offense, and the unregistered motor vehicle so used may be impounded. Any offender who shall be convicted of a second or any subsequent offense of the same violation shall be subject to a fine of $500, and the unregistered motor vehicle so used may be impounded.

Any police officer is authorized to remove any such unregistered motor vehicle from the public highway to a storage space or garage, and the expense involved in such removal and storing of the vehicle shall be borne by the owner of the vehicle, except that the expense shall be borne by the lessee of a leased vehicle.

In addition to and independent of any fine or other penalty provided for under law, the court shall impose a fine of $150 on any driver or operator of an omnibus, convicted of a violation of this section, who does not have a certificate of public convenience and necessity as required pursuant to R.S.48:4-3. The State Treasurer shall annually deposit the monies collected from the fines imposed pursuant to this paragraph to the "Omnibus Safety Enforcement Fund" established pursuant to section 4 of P.L.2007, c.40 (C.39:3-79.23). The fine described herein shall not be deemed a fine, penalty, or forfeiture pursuant to R.S.39:5-41.
You are getting paid, call it what you want. Taxis street hail also and need to comply. But don't worry the judge will set you straight in court.

Have your UBER/LYFT dress in the window? Then you need one of these plates.
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Commercial/pvt.htm
That's how they know you illegal.

Last edited:

mona mcN

So I never go to the newark airport for pickups because I was afraid I might get a ticket. But that all changes few weeks ago when I started getting email from Uber about a deal struck with the city of newark. Anyways I got a ticket for (operating limo without proper registration) yesterday at terminal C arrivals. I tried telling the cop we have a deal with newark and the dude said he doesn't care about that, he said he's enforcing state law. What is going on here? I thought it's safe to do pickups at the airport now?? Still waiting on Uber response to my ticket. I surely don't have money to pay the fine. Also I am now confused about going back to EWR. I mean how many fines are Uber willing to pay for?

You can go back and pick up there, everything will be fine... The next time you might just get your car wheel away on a tow truck...Not a big deal!! Do it it for fuber, they have your back. :smiles:

atthehop

You can go back and pick up there, everything will be fine... The next time you might just get your car wheel away on a tow truck...Not a big deal!! Do it it for fuber, they have your back. :smiles:
Just keep in mind, you pay all fines and tow costs up front and wait to hopefully get reimbursed. So at 0.85 a mile you need to set aside a couple of thousand for those costs.

street lethal

Produce the law that states that. It's not a street hail if client made an appointment. Even if it is a short notice one.
Let me explain something to you, waiting in a taxi stand located at the EWR is not considered an appointment, not to mention you need a hack license issued by the township to do so because this is how the police verify who you are, and out of town companies, which includes ANY cab service, including Uber, that is NOT registered through the township of Newark, needs to provide sufficient proof that the passenger arranged for the pickup directly, otherwise they will be fined. This out of town service must also be registered and insured AS a cab or limo service in their jurisdiction and if they do not provide sufficient proof of that then an additional fine will be given, as well as the possibility of their vehicle being impounded. Newark ALLOWED Uber to work the airport and Penn station, meaning they have been PLACED on the recognized list in the state as an "in town" service, but they still MUST be registered, licensed and insured as to do business in the granted areas, and will be issued a hack license to do so. Cab services that are not on the recognized list of the township of Newark are considered "out of town" cab services and CANNOT pickup at these locations, and these very "out of town" cab services, if they are NOT registered and insured, are considered illegal taxi's and/or gypsy cabs, and WILL BE IMPOUNDED...

atthehop

Let me explain something to you, waiting in a taxi stand located at the EWR is not considered an appointment, not to mention you need a hack license issued by the township to do so because this is how the police verify who you are, and out of town companies, which includes ANY cab service, including Uber, that is NOT registered through the township of Newark, needs to provide sufficient proof that the passenger arranged for the pickup directly, otherwise they will be fined. This out of town service must also be registered and insured AS a cab or limo service in their jurisdiction and if they do not provide sufficient proof of that then an additional fine will be given, as well as the possibility of their vehicle being impounded. Newark ALLOWED Uber to work the airport and Penn station, meaning they have been PLACED on the recognized list in the state as an "in town" service, but they still MUST be registered, licensed and insured as to do business in the granted areas, and will be issued a hack license to do so. Cab services that are not on the recognized list of the township of Newark are considered "out of town" cab services and CANNOT pickup at these locations, and these very "out of town" cab services, if they are NOT registered and insured, are considered illegal taxi's and/or gypsy cabs, and WILL BE IMPOUNDED...
Hopefully this gets into their heads. They need to stop relying on what UBER feeds them.

street lethal

Bottom line is this;

* If you are registered through Newark Township as an Uber driver then you can pickup at the EWR and Penn Station all day long, even if they weren't pre-arranged, but they still have to go through the app as per Uber rules. Being registered through Newark the police will recognize you way ahead of time as being allowed to work the area because you are local.

* If you are registered outside of Newark Township as an Uber driver then you can ONLY pickup at the EWR and Penn Station through a pre-arranged request that must be proven if the officer asks for proof. You cannot hang out at these locations though because even though you are registered and insured, you are considered non local.

* If you are not registered anywhere, which is just about every New Jersey member on this forum, then you are a gypsy. Illegal.