1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Ticketed at Newark Airport

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Xris Xros, May 3, 2016.

?

Should I keep going to the airport for Pickups?

This poll will close on Jan 28, 2019 at 8:20 AM.
  1. YES

2. NO

3. Are you serious?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Xris Xros

Xris Xros

So I never go to the newark airport for pickups because I was afraid I might get a ticket. But that all changes few weeks ago when I started getting email from Uber about a deal struck with the city of newark. Anyways I got a ticket for (operating limo without proper registration) yesterday at terminal C arrivals. I tried telling the cop we have a deal with newark and the dude said he doesn't care about that, he said he's enforcing state law. What is going on here? I thought it's safe to do pickups at the airport now?? Still waiting on Uber response to my ticket. I surely don't have money to pay the fine. Also I am now confused about going back to EWR. I mean how many fines are Uber willing to pay for?

2. Undermensch

Undermensch

Driving:
    UberXL
    Riders keep asking me if EWR is legal now and I keep telling them what I said when Newark signed a deal with Uber: Port Authority polices EWR and doesn't report to Newark, which means the deal means nothing to them.

I do drop offs there, infrequently, but I've never even tried to pickup there, ever. I won't try it either until the Port Authority says that UberX is allowed (after changes in laws, etc. whatever). There are UberX drivers who are either unaware of the status of the laws, unaware of what Port Authority Police are enforcing, or completely aware and willing to take the risk of picking up at the airport. Riders can get a ride from them.

MoneyUber4 and Uber-licious like this.
  3. Kingkong7007

Kingkong7007

Driving:
    UberX
    Uberx is legal at Newark airport with ol limousine plate and Tlc. The deal at ewr has nothing to do with nj uberx which without commercial registration and insurance they will still ticket you.

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  4. Mikey_D

Mikey_D

Sorry sorry to break this to you Xris, but you'll have to pony up the cash for the ticket. Only about 1400.00. Uber might reimburse you for it though.

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  5. Mr.Mouse

Mr.Mouse

I thought uber said they will stop paying the fines and asking drivers to follow the law which is why they may not want to pay future fines.

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  6. Mr.Mouse

Mr.Mouse

There was an email floating around here about that.

7. It is illegal to do an Uber pick up even with TLC or OL plates at EWR. It is considered a "street hail" and you need a taxi permit to do that. You can drop off legally.

MoneyUber4, NJRed and Undermensch like this.
  8. Some of the posters here ****post their own opinions and theories about what Uber will do as fact. This was the case in regards to Uber's policy at Newark, reading between the lines a little too much.

As far as I know, the policy for covering tickets has not changed. But no one has bothered to go to the office or ask support.

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  9. Tony from New Jersey

Tony from New Jersey

Driving:
    UberX
    Tlc is not recognized by the state of New Jersey. If cop ignores it that does not make it legal.

MoneyUber4, NJRed and Undermensch like this.
  10. Word to the wise: Just because uber says it ok, doesn't mean that it's always true. Uber is not above city/state ordinance.

Dream12 and MoneyUber4 like this.
  11. jerseyboys

jerseyboys

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    You will get reimbursed. But you will have to pay the ticket first in cash.

Also, this will go in your nj driver history abstract.

12. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Xris XrosXris Xros please send me a photo of the ticket, thread locked until verified.

werty and Undermensch like this.
  13. Xris Xros

Xris Xros

Ticket verified here. Still waiting on Uber legal team though. I will miss those long trips out of the airports :(:(o_Oo_O

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  14. Millio007

Millio007

Driving:
    UberXL
    Those long fares can be great but not at .85 cents mile and stuck somewhere else dead heading back.

MoneyUber4, werty and Rocco Vespa like this.
  15. nickd8775

nickd8775

Driving:
    UberX
    Unless the PAPD issues a statement, I will continue to require the front seat at EWR

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  16. Xris Xros

Xris Xros

You are right. But I guess the way I see it is that I will rather transport about 10 people a day instead of 20 for about the same amount of money. I mean sometimes you end up somewhere like Jersey city for example, where a 1.5 mile trip can go for almost 20 mins drive, not add the time it took you to get to the rider.

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  17. Xris Xros

Xris Xros

How long have you been picking up there? I only lasted a week picking up people there. I am afraid to go back now mostly because they can impound your car too. I really don't wanna go through all that.

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  18. EcoboostMKS

EcoboostMKS

Driving:
    Livery
    I'm sure all the legal taxis that actually follow the law feel the same way.

19. EcoboostMKS

EcoboostMKS

Driving:
    Livery
    Haha good one. Uber can care less about the laws. They built an empire by breaking the law. Pretty sure nothing is changing on that front.

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  20. NJRed

NJRed

Driving:
    UberX
    Should I keep going to the airport for Pickups?
    This poll will close on Jan 28, 2019 at 11:20 AM.

You should but I won't because I can't afford the ticket.
    I'm back from Suffragette City!

Jan 28, 2019? Will any of us be here then? Will we be ubering on?

MoneyUber4 and njshore like this.