• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ticketed at Newark Airport

Should I keep going to the airport for Pickups?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xris Xros

So I never go to the newark airport for pickups because I was afraid I might get a ticket. But that all changes few weeks ago when I started getting email from Uber about a deal struck with the city of newark. Anyways I got a ticket for (operating limo without proper registration) yesterday at terminal C arrivals. I tried telling the cop we have a deal with newark and the dude said he doesn't care about that, he said he's enforcing state law. What is going on here? I thought it's safe to do pickups at the airport now?? Still waiting on Uber response to my ticket. I surely don't have money to pay the fine. Also I am now confused about going back to EWR. I mean how many fines are Uber willing to pay for?

Undermensch

So I never go to the newark airport for pickups because I was afraid I might get a ticket. But that all changes few weeks ago when I started getting email from Uber about a deal struck with the city of newark. Anyways I got a ticket for (operating limo without proper registration) yesterday at terminal C arrivals. I tried telling the cop we have a deal with newark and the dude said he doesn't care about that, he said he's enforcing state law. What is going on here? I thought it's safe to do pickups at the airport now?? Still waiting on Uber response to my ticket. I surely don't have money to pay the fine. Also I am now confused about going back to EWR. I mean how many fines are Uber willing to pay for?
Riders keep asking me if EWR is legal now and I keep telling them what I said when Newark signed a deal with Uber: Port Authority polices EWR and doesn't report to Newark, which means the deal means nothing to them.

I do drop offs there, infrequently, but I've never even tried to pickup there, ever. I won't try it either until the Port Authority says that UberX is allowed (after changes in laws, etc. whatever). There are UberX drivers who are either unaware of the status of the laws, unaware of what Port Authority Police are enforcing, or completely aware and willing to take the risk of picking up at the airport. Riders can get a ride from them.

Kingkong7007

Uberx is legal at Newark airport with ol limousine plate and Tlc. The deal at ewr has nothing to do with nj uberx which without commercial registration and insurance they will still ticket you.

Mikey_D

Sorry sorry to break this to you Xris, but you'll have to pony up the cash for the ticket. Only about 1400.00. Uber might reimburse you for it though.

Mr.Mouse

I thought uber said they will stop paying the fines and asking drivers to follow the law which is why they may not want to pay future fines.

Chi Bones

Uberx is legal at Newark airport with ol limousine plate and Tlc. The deal at ewr has nothing to do with nj uberx which without commercial registration and insurance they will still ticket you.
It is illegal to do an Uber pick up even with TLC or OL plates at EWR. It is considered a "street hail" and you need a taxi permit to do that. You can drop off legally.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I thought uber said they will stop paying the fines and asking drivers to follow the law which is why they may not want to pay future fines.
Some of the posters here shitpost their own opinions and theories about what Uber will do as fact. This was the case in regards to Uber's policy at Newark, reading between the lines a little too much.

As far as I know, the policy for covering tickets has not changed. But no one has bothered to go to the office or ask support.

ChortlingCrison

Word to the wise: Just because uber says it ok, doesn't mean that it's always true. Uber is not above city/state ordinance.

jerseyboys

You will get reimbursed. But you will have to pay the ticket first in cash.

Also, this will go in your nj driver history abstract.

Xris Xros

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ticket verified here. Still waiting on Uber legal team though. I will miss those long trips out of the airports :frown::frown::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Xris Xros

Those long fares can be great but not at .85 cents mile and stuck somewhere else dead heading back.
You are right. But I guess the way I see it is that I will rather transport about 10 people a day instead of 20 for about the same amount of money. I mean sometimes you end up somewhere like Jersey city for example, where a 1.5 mile trip can go for almost 20 mins drive, not add the time it took you to get to the rider.

Xris Xros

Unless the PAPD issues a statement, I will continue to require the front seat at EWR
How long have you been picking up there? I only lasted a week picking up people there. I am afraid to go back now mostly because they can impound your car too. I really don't wanna go through all that.

EcoboostMKS

Haha good one. Uber can care less about the laws. They built an empire by breaking the law. Pretty sure nothing is changing on that front.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jason8981 New Jersey 2
A New Jersey 8
Lyft38453 Stories 11