• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Throwing Pax out - Best Practices?

Any advice on how to throw pax out? Obviously I would only do this if there were no other options left. But want to know the best procedure in case I find myself in such a position.

I have come very close in two instances 1. Super obnoxious/trashed pax who were actually interfering with driving and 2. a destination I really really didn't want to go...since I had to be on the other side of town in half hour.

In both instances I sucked it up since I didn't even know what to do. Anyone have experience here?

elelegido

Any advice on how to throw pax out? Obviously I would only do this if there were no other options left. But want to know the best procedure in case I find myself in such a position.

I have come very close in two instances 1. Super obnoxious/trashed pax who were actually interfering with driving and 2. a destination I really really didn't want to go...since I had to be on the other side of town in half hour.

In both instances I sucked it up since I didn't even know what to do. Anyone have experience here?
Well, I read somewhere that "Riders LOVE it when you open the doors for them!".

So that's probably a good start, especially if you want a 5* rating.

Mr. T

I've only had to do it once, I just went to a Frys(grocery store), and told her to get out. This one in particular has lots of cameras and at least one cop on duty a night

elelegido

Sometimes you have to press the eject button when few people are around though.

I've never had issues kicking people out. Everyone's technique is different I guess, but because ejectable drunks act like 5 year olds, I use the same techniques I used to use with my kids when they were that age. Well, not exactly; I didn't pull the car over, dump my kids at the side of the road and take off, but the way you talk to pax is the same, calmly but authoritatively. It's your car, you control the situation and they need to go.

- "That is not acceptable behavior and I do not tolerate that in my car. This ride is over."
- "You're an @@@@@@@/@@@@@@bag/etc"
- "That is not acceptable either. I'm not here to take abuse from you. You need to get out of the vehicle now and request another car."

If you get angry, shout at them or curse at them, that will escalate the matter. But you are at work, and what you want is to lose the @@@@@@s asap so that you can go on to the next ride. So you de-escalate and don't give them a reason to escalate, which is exactly what a drunk will be looking for an excuse to do.

Sometimes they sit for a while and try to provoke you after you pull over.

- "Really? You're that much of an @@@@@@@?"
- "You need to get out of my car now"
- "I'm reporting you to Uber. You're going to get fired"
- "Uber support can be reached by email at [email protected]. You need to get out of my car, now"

Eventually they see that you're not going to take the bait and out they go. One star them and carry on with your shift. UberLyft driver support only sends a canned "thank you for your profession is" response, so reporting it is a waste of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! I have a couple follow-ups:

Who should end the ride? Do you get paid for the partial ride? Do I have to keep them in the car and baby sit them while another ride shows up?

elelegido

Thanks! I have a couple follow-ups:

Who should end the ride? Do you get paid for the partial ride? Do I have to keep them in the car and baby sit them while another ride shows up?
You can end the ride. The pax probably will not be in a fit state to be thinking about their rider app anyway.

No, in an ejection situation you want them out of your car as fast as possible - who cares what happens to them once they're gone.

Bmorekirk22

Well, I read somewhere that "Riders LOVE it when you open the doors for them!".

So that's probably a good start, especially if you want a 5* rating.

you gotta be kidding right.....i drive uberx not a @@@@ing limo service.....you get what you pay for and i am not about to treat these pax as a celebrity

Jose_A

I almost ejected a pax last night for being a disrespectful little s**t. I told him to shut the **** up or he's out. He was whining that the GPS was wrong even though it was exactly on point. Thankfully, one of their friends requested the ride for the group and wasn't in the car, so I didn't have to worry about any ratings blowback. I was literally about to pull over and drag him out. Btw, I'm 6'4 and 200 lbs.

Reese99

I 86'd two drunk guys tonight, my first time in 250 rides.

They basically were getting mad at the route I was taking (following Google Map). So I told them I'd shut off the map (and did), and asked them to tell me which direction to travel. They were lost and had no idea. So they got belligerent.

I said," If you aren't happy with my driving, you're welcome to get out and call for another driver".

They jumped out. I drove off.

Funny thing was, if they could have kept their mouths shut, Google Maps would have delivered them right home. But drunk back seat passengers could not NOT be backseat DRUNK drivers.

I DID contact Goober Support to give them the heads up, in case they complain later. And ofc 1 stared them.

I have a lot of tolerance for drunk behaviour. But zero for abuse of ME.

Looking at the completed ride record, they lasted 4 minutes and .9 miles, lol.

John Highway

Watch yourselves when you start ejecting drunk PAX.

I lucked out, I had 3 drunk pax and drove them to their homes. They were actually nice people (even inebriated). At the end of the trip, they tipped me $20.00 for like a $30.00 fare. Not saying that all drunk pax are cool. You roll the dice like with all pax that you pick up.

Ben&NWuBER

Next time! Turn off your car engine and unlock doors and go behind your hood. Then say sorry car won't start. Please call another one. Let them cancel so you can get the spare change.

D"icy"K

CATTLE PROD

tirebiter

Be careful. I tried to throw someone out -- ended the ride after 30 feet and explained that it was over, and they needed to get out. Boyfriend and girlfriend. They refused. I insisted. He became aggressive. I got out of the car and stood inside my door while insisting that they really needed to get out, or I would call the police. Guy finally got out, came over from rear pax side and started beating me, and hitting my door into me. "Stop it, this is assault and battery!" "@@@@ you. What are you going to do about it?" I dialed 911 which probably picked it up on the cabin speakerphone. Guy finally left and walked away with girlfriend. Police did not come, since they already left and I said I was not severely injured.

Did not file a police report because there were no witnesses, nothing they could do.
Uber said there was nothing they could do about the bad rating and will not release pax info to me for followup.

Be careful!

D"icy"K

Be careful. I tried to throw someone out -- ended the ride after 30 feet and explained that it was over, and they needed to get out. Boyfriend and girlfriend. They refused. I insisted. He became aggressive. I got out of the car and stood inside my door while insisting that they really needed to get out, or I would call the police. Guy finally got out, came over from rear pax side and started beating me, and hitting my door into me. "Stop it, this is assault and battery!" "&%[email protected] you. What are you going to do about it?" I dialed 911 which probably picked it up on the cabin speakerphone. Guy finally left and walked away with girlfriend. Police did not come, since they already left and I said I was not severely injured.

Did not file a police report because there were no witnesses, nothing they could do.
Uber said there was nothing they could do about the bad rating and will not release pax info to me for followup.

Be careful!
Seriously rethinking my ideas about gun control. Seriously thinking about getting strapped.

Ben&NWuBER

Be careful. I tried to throw someone out -- ended the ride after 30 feet and explained that it was over, and they needed to get out. Boyfriend and girlfriend. They refused. I insisted. He became aggressive. I got out of the car and stood inside my door while insisting that they really needed to get out, or I would call the police. Guy finally got out, came over from rear pax side and started beating me, and hitting my door into me. "Stop it, this is assault and battery!" "&%[email protected] you. What are you going to do about it?" I dialed 911 which probably picked it up on the cabin speakerphone. Guy finally left and walked away with girlfriend. Police did not come, since they already left and I said I was not severely injured.

Be careful!
Damn! If you ever feel or find yourself in a shitty spot turn your god damn camera on! Then continue.