Uber Drivers Forum banner

Threats from the shopkeeper - UBER EATS story

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Chedder Chow 
#1 ·
I don't respond well to bullies - in that I don't let them bully me I tend to extract myself from the situation. Tonight, I was taken aback by the sheer rudeness of a shopkeeper I was taking TWO deliveries from. I've been there for deliveries before and he seemed okay - I was alway polite and prompt, always smiling and responding with please's and thank you's. Anyway, I walked in with my bag and said hello in a chipper way (it's an act but it's work) and he immediately sauntered up to the otherside of the counter, his chin p[ositioned so that he was looking down on me (although he was still taller than me, this was just to make himself superior). And in a very grumpy, pushy tone, he said "Listen to me, you're either gonna take ONE delivery or NO deliveries - it's your choice".
I said, Excuse me - politely
"You heard what I said"
"Yes I did, I just don't understand why"
"Everyone's complaining about getting cold food, so you either take one or nothing"
I said "Look if heats the issue, we've got thermal bags to keep everything warm"
He said something along the lines of it doesn't matter, but carrying on that tone.
I then asked if i did something to offend him, he just said he didn't care - one delivery or no delivery, final straw.
I really tried to diffuse the situation after that comment, he kept accusing me/uber deliverers in general of slacking off. Not keeping the food hot. I am certainly not one to let the food get cold. But he didn't care. I eventually snapped and had to address his tone once more. Accusing him, in a calm way, of bullying me into doing what he wants - saying that if he addressed me in a polite way, I would've worked something out with him. But he just got more aggressive, not ANGRIER per se - just pushier. He then said "mate, I'm not bullying you if I could do other things to make you do what I want" or something ridiculous. He went on and on about how WE work for HIM.
I had to smile, basically saying, you handled this customer encounter terribly. Although the man was REALLY thick and stubborn so I don't think I could've convinced him or changed his mind - what a waste of time.
Anyway, I called UBER and filed a complaint, they say that they are going to investigate and if I ever get another request from him they would block him from my account. It's so annoying we have to deal with this crap, if I had talked to him the way he did to me we would've gone through the roof. Anyway, anyone else got stories like that?
Anyone else have experiences dealing with filing complaints against shopkeepers? Any satisfaction/resolution? Are they (UBER) good with that stuff (the investiagtions, etc.)? Or do they just through it in a pile and forget about it. A few bits of info - i'm in Australia, Melbourne, and I can give the name of the business if need be.

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't respond well to bullies - in that I don't let them bully me I tend to extract myself from the situation. Tonight, I was taken aback by the sheer rudeness of a shopkeeper I was taking TWO deliveries from. I've been there for deliveries before and he seemed okay - I was alway polite and prompt, always smiling and responding with please's and thank you's. Anyway, I walked in with my bag and said hello in a chipper way (it's an act but it's work) and he immediately sauntered up to the otherside of the counter, his chin p[ositioned so that he was looking down on me (although he was still taller than me, this was just to make himself superior). And in a very grumpy, pushy tone, he said "Listen to me, you're either gonna take ONE delivery or NO deliveries - it's your choice".
"You heard what I said"
"Everyone's complaining about getting cold food, so you either take one or nothing"
I said "Look if heats the issue, we've got thermal bags to keep everything warm"
He said something along the lines of it doesn't matter, but carrying on that tone.
I then asked if i did something to offend him, he just said he didn't care - one delivery or no delivery, final straw.
I really tried to diffuse the situation after that comment, he kept accusing me/uber deliverers in general of slacking off. Not keeping the food hot. I am certainly not one to let the food get cold. But he didn't care. I eventually snapped and had to address his tone once more. Accusing him, in a calm way, of bullying me into doing what he wants - saying that if he addressed me in a polite way, I would've worked something out with him. But he just got more aggressive, not ANGRIER per se - just pushier. He then said "mate, I'm not bullying you if I could do other things to make you do what I want" or something ridiculous. He went on and on about how WE work for HIM.
I had to smile, basically saying, you handled this customer encounter terribly. Although the man was REALLY thick and stubborn so I don't think I could've convinced him or changed his mind - what a waste of time.
Anyway, I called UBER and filed a complaint, they say that they are going to investigate and if I ever get another request from him they would block him from my account. It's so annoying we have to deal with this crap, if I had talked to him the way he did to me we would've gone through the roof. Anyway, anyone else got stories like that?
Is there a way for me to get his UBER account taken away from him? hahaha just kidding
Anyone else have experiences dealing with filing complaints against shopkeepers? Any satisfaction/resolution? Are they (UBER) good with that stuff (the investiagtions, etc.)? Or do they just through it in a pile and forget about it. A few bits of info - i'm in Australia, Melbourne, and I can give the name of the business if need be.
Simple solution: after you accept the trip and see its that asshole, wait 10 minutes and then cancel saying you can't find the restaurant. Problem solved.

#7 ·
"You heard what I said"
Is there a way for me to get his UBER account taken away from him? hahaha just kidding
Based on your story, the anger was rooted in the "bad service" from other UBEREATS drivers. You were just the unfortunate recipient. The "correct" solution is for UBER to weed out the unqualified drivers.

#19 ·
No I already tried that with McDonalds orders when I used to do UEats

"You heard what I said"
I'm assuming you are a grown man/woman? There is no way anybody is talking to me in that tone of voice like I'm their little step child. I would have told that man in some unkind words not to talk to me in that way AND to get his ass in that kitchen and get me my 2nd Order or I'm reporting him to Uber immediately for breaching their contract!

Reactions: Chedder Chow
#20 ·
You should have taken the one order and went straight home and tossed it in the freezer for 15 minutes then delivered it to the customer. When you delivered it let the customer know you waited at the restaurant for 20 minutes until the cook came out of the bathroom and handed you the food.

#21 ·
These are all great revenge ideas, any ideas as to what i might do to effect the shopkeeper (keep it legal) but not effect the customer? most of the time, customers are pretty good - the restaurant's are usually the bad ones because they are resentful; they feel cheated because uber takes a cut from them. That's what one shopkeeper vented to me, " we have to pay to get the item delivered, uber takes too much". I said to the guy "Yeah but you didn't deliver before, now uber delivers for you and advertises for you, you have a broader demographic reach thanks to uber. You're selling to people who would have never heard from you otherwise."
I said that - it makes perfect sense. Any decent person would say "you're right, that makes total sense. It sucks that they take money but that's business". No, the idiot tell me to go "*&#@ myself and tell uber to go *&#@ itself. People don't like to be told how to think."
"I'm not telling you how to think, its business. You wouldn't be with uber if it didn't help you"
"Get outta my shop you (offensive greek word for woman of the night)"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.