• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Threatened with deactivation

Mista T

Author
About 9 months ago I got my dashboard camera. I researched the law in the two states that I cover. I made laminated signs and placed them in 3 overly obvious places, which say "Dashboard camera in use".

Then one day I got a random complaint from a pax. They told Lyft that I have the dash cam. Lyft sends me the generic message from T&S that says "you have a dashcam, we want to remind you to follow the laws." I responded with pictures of the signs and asked them what I did wrong. No response.

A few months later I get another complaint about having a dashcam. Same generic message from Lyft, word for word. My response to them was "I'm following the laws, thanks for checking in."

Couple days ago a third complaint comes in. Same generic email, but with a twist... "this is the third complaint of this type, if we get another youre history" basically.

Naturally I followed up! T&S has not responded to ANY of my emails. Another department said do not fear, there is no policy against dash cams, I am not at risk of deactivation, it is all just confusion.

I went to the police station, had an officer inspect my setup. They said the signage could be better, but I am IN COMPLIANCE with the law.

WTF do I do? I dont need to lose any more sleep over this shyte. I have kept the most recent emails, in case I need to file a wrongful termination suit. Anyone know any good class action lawyers?

Should I trust Lyft will not randomly deactivate me? Haaaaaa, that was a joke.

Seriously tho, I'm stressed out. Taking advice. And dont tell me to get another job, would if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcewr17

Keep doing what you're doing and stop stressing over the emails. You did everything you could to prove that it's legal that should be enough and you have evidence to show if they actually deactivate you. Funny though, I have a dashcam and never have a single complaint about it. Is it focused on their crotch or something? Haha.

Jcposeidon

Is there not an in person hub for your area? I would go in person. I always gets answers and follow up emails.

tohunt4me

About 9 months ago I got my dashboard camera. I researched the law in the two states that I cover. I made laminated signs and placed them in 3 overly obvious places, which say "Dashboard camera in use".

Then one day I got a random complaint from a pax. They told Lyft that I have the dash cam. Lyft sends me the generic message from T&S that says "you have a dashcam, we want to remind you to follow the laws." I responded with pictures of the signs and asked them what I did wrong. No response.

A few months later I get another complaint about having a dashcam. Same generic message from Lyft, word for word. My response to them was "I'm following the laws, thanks for checking in."

Couple days ago a third complaint comes in. Same generic email, but with a twist... "this is the third complaint of this type, if we get another youre f*cking history" basically.

Naturally I followed up! T&S has not responded to ANY of my emails. Another department said do not fear, there is no policy against dash cams, I am not at risk of deactivation, it is all just confusion.

I went to the police station, had an officer inspect my setup. They said the signage could be better, but I am IN COMPLIANCE with the law.

WTF do I do? I dont need to lose any more sleep over this shyte. I have kept the most recent emails, in case I need to file a wrongful termination suit. Anyone know any good class action lawyers?

Seriously tho, I'm stressed out. Taking advice. And dont tell me to get another job, would if I could.
UNION

Speak to a lawyer also

ShinyAndChrome

Remove the signs. In my state the signs are not needed. I run a dash cam in NY. I think the signs are actually hurting you by alerting pax to something they don't need to know.

If you are in a two party consent state you MAY need signs of recording audio. I am personally satisfied that in a one party consent state you can legally record audio in your car without alerting the other parties.

The OP is in Oregon - it's a 2-party consent state.

The sign should be on the outside of the doors, so pax can see them and decide whether to consent prior to being recorded.

Personally, I'd prefer if TNC's sent an email to pax letting them know their incoming driver has a dash cam so they can cancel at that point if they don't consent to being recorded.

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The OP is in Oregon - it's a 2-party consent state.

The sign should be on the outside of the doors, so pax can see them and decide whether to consent prior to being recorded.

Personally, I'd prefer if TNC's sent an email to pax letting them know their incoming driver has a dash cam so they can cancel at that point if they don't consent to being recorded.
Both OR and WA require consent but only if doing audio recording, which I do.

As soon as one enters my vehicle, the signs are in your face, cant miss them.

Not a single complaint from Uber yet, but Ive given about 3x as many rides on Lyft.

GasHealthTimeCosts

Lyft is annoyed because passengers are annoyed. If they continue getting complaints, they probably won't care but there is a slight chance they will deactivate you and not tell you why.

Two choices- Continue or risk the very slight chance they deactivate cause you never responded to their emails

disp350

Lyft is annoyed because passengers are annoyed. If they continue getting complaints, they probably won't care but there is a slight chance they will deactivate you and not tell you why.

Two choices- Continue or risk the very slight chance they deactivate cause you never responded to their emails
Or, find a way to cleverly mount it. I have had mine since day one of driving and have had only one pax notice it and I told them it was forward facing. I turned off the flashing light that showed it recording and ran all the wires under the ceiling panel and down the rocker panels next to the windshield, through the glove box and all anyone can notice is just the plug between the seats if they really look hard.

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have asked Left in 2 emails now what I did wrong. I feel like the rep I'm dealing with is still in high school, blowing me off. This is unacceptable for a billion dollar company to threaten to fire someone but not tell them why, nor even respond anymore.

See attached.

Attachments

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Use the forward facing camera on your phone and hope you don't get caught? Not sure what the penalty is in a 2-party consent state. Thankfully mine is 1-party consent.

Oscar Levant

Couple days ago a third complaint comes in. Same generic email, but with a twist... "this is the third complaint of this type, if we get another youre history" basically.

They are not faulting you for the cam, they are faulting you for the complaints.

Telsa34

If you are compliant with all local and state laws there's nothing lyft can do to you you are not violating their terms of service, that camera is there for your protection as well as the passengers if they deactivate you and you've got everything your ducks in a row they would be open to a lawsuit and I would point that out to them that you have checked with your attorney.

SurgeWarrior

If Lyft lets you add stuff to your
profile like Uber does..I would put a note that your car has a camera for both rider and driver protection..screen shot it for your records. Good Luck but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

On my Uber profile I have a paragraph about car seats..so it shouldnt be a surprise when I cancel if they dont have one.

Last edited:

bmedle

The biggest problem here is the states clinging to the two-party consent thing (which is often misconstrued in the first instance). It's the same thing the cops use to prevent them being recorded. Lobby your state lawmakers. Dashcams are for everyone's benefit.

Taxi2Uber

Thanks for bringing this topic up. It made me look deeper into it. (Some assumptions I had about NV law were incorrect)

Seems there are 2 very distinct categories: Video recording and Audio recording.

"VIDEO RECORDING

Most video recordings are legal with or without consent.
There are very few laws that prohibit video recording of any kind, but
there are laws in some areas dealing with areas of expected privacy. These

include areas such as bathrooms, locker rooms, changing/dressing rooms,
adult bedrooms, and other areas where a person should expect a high level
of personal privacy.
The majority of the laws dealing with video recording privacy issues
tend to allow surreptitious recording and monitoring of video activity under
most circumstances without notification of any of the parties involved.
So far, the courts have allowed video recordings of nannies, elder-care
employees, and other types of video recordings made with covert cameras
without the subjects’ consent.

AUDIO RECORDING

Most audio recordings without consent of one or all parties are illegal.
Recording audio is very different from video; there are definite federal
and state laws prohibiting surreptitious recording and monitoring of audio
conversations. These laws are taken very seriously by authorities and failure
to abide by them could result in severe consequences.
There are two types of defined recording situations for audio recording.
They are usually referred to as one-party consent and two-party consent:

One-party consent: Only the person doing the recording has to give
consent and does not have to notify the other party or parties that the
conversation is being recorded.

Two-party consent: The person recording the conversation must notify
all of the other parties that the recording is taking place and they must
consent to the recording.
Sixteen states require two-party consent and the rest require only
one-party consent. The 16 states that require two-party consent are California,
Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania,
Utah, and Washington.
Laws change constantly."

Note that in OR:
"However, courts have ruled that one cannot use a device to record a conversation unless all parties of the conversation are informed."
"It is unlawful to record an in-person communication without the consent of all parties involved."

Sounds like a two-party state to me. :confused: