Thoughts on tires

Prime87

Where do you guys get your tires? Does brand matter to you or do you just get the cheapest. I'm looking to buy this month. Thanks

southshore

I believe in the old saying that you should never cheap out on things that sit between you and the ground; shoes, mattresses, and tires are all important purchases that are worth buying quality products.

Tysmith95

I don't advise getting the cheapest. The better brands (michelin, bridgstone, pirelli, etc) last nearly twice as long as the cheaper ones. Tires are not something I'd skimp on.

I'd check consumer reports if you want to see which ones are better. Also look at ones that do well with a little bit of snow.

Tysmith95

I'm stuck at the whole foods parking lot in the South end, real sketchy. I had to take refuge with some pizza from inside. Can someone please help me with a spare tire.

southshore

Actually, while we are on this topic. Does anybody switch to snow tires in the winter? A bit of an expensive upgrade, but this is going to be my first ever Boston winter without AWD and I am dreading it.

Tysmith95

Actually, while we are on this topic. Does anybody switch to snow tires in the winter? A bit of an expensive upgrade, but this is going to be my first ever Boston winter without AWD and I am dreading it.
If you want to drive during snowstorms it's worth it. No traffic and a good bit of surge.

Stupendousman87

As long as you have good tires on the front, and your car is FWD, you will be fine as long as you're not stupid. I've never had snow tires and have never had a problem.

Prime87

From what I looked at online quickly it's about 105-130 a tire for name brand tires and I think 12-15 per tire mounting and balancing, sound right?

Tysmith95

From what I looked at online quickly it's about 105-130 a tire for name brand tires and I think 12-15 per tire mounting and balancing, sound right?
Bit low on the installation. They'll add tpms fees, plus you should get your car aligned, etc.

Mvlab

Where do you guys get your tires? Does brand matter to you or do you just get the cheapest. I'm looking to buy this month. Thanks
Brand doesn't really matter. You have to realize what you need from tiers ( performance, rolling resistance etc) and not just "I want everything and cheap", after that make your research. You can find decent Chinese tires for half the price of name brands, even identical to expensive Michelins and such.

Bit low on the installation. They'll add tpms fees, plus you should get your car aligned, etc.
Alignement is not necessary if wear is not excessive and even and you can live without tpms, can you? And if you use old rims- just tell them to leave old ones.

I do, well worth it.

Goodellsux

All name brands make good tires and each brand will have a few options for your car. Generally the higher the cost within the brand the higher quality and tread life warranty. Shop around for prices.

NTB routinely runs a buy 2 get 2 deal with the hitch being that you need to buy the installation package and extended road hazard for each tire. Deal includes a front alignment. I've done it a few times and end up paying 6-700 each time and I have big tires. I've been happy with the tires and ntb as well.

MoreTips

Definitely check around for deals on tires, make sure you get the out the door price.

Back in the day I had Studded snow tires on a front wheel drive car it was considerably better than my 4 wheel drive. It was actually quite fun when a ice storm hit and I was the only one able to drive around checking out the damage.