• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Thoughts on possible new car choice?

ElectricEliminator

Full disclosure up front, I'm not getting another car solely for Uber/Lyft. It's a personal need as well, and it will be nice to have my own car dedicated to my purposes that I don't have to yank car seats out of and set up. I wanted to go with a larger SUV for XL trips, but that's not going to be in my budget. So I looked midsize and I kept running into the same thing. I could get close, but I can't go over budget. So I shifted my attention to a Corolla or Civic, which I could make work with the right specials, and the Corolla in particular kills every affordable midsize sedan in terms of legroom. It's a nice fit, drove fine and I can get it at or very close to budget. On a lark though, I looked around at some more oddball choices, like a small SUV. That led me to the Fiat 500x. I test drove it and it drives fine, and it's got less legroom but it's passable and a little more versatile. It's also a little different and more fun. I wouldn't normally consider it, but here's the deal on the table. I qualify for $8,000 dollars worth of incentives on Fiat, which would make my monthly lease payment about $106.00 a month, for 36 months, 12k a year, with me putting $1900.00 up front to cover taxes, first month and all fees. Gap insurance too. The best I could do on the Corolla was 150 a month with the same cash down, and no gap insurance. I could go to New York and get the same deal on the Corolla with gap, but that's a bit of a pain. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? It sounds like a good deal to me, and Uber support already said that they WILL on-board the Fiat since it's a true 4 door crossover. The Fiat puts me about $1300.00 under my budget, which would more than pay for the difference in MPG between it and the Corolla. Keep in mind I'm a part timer, so I'm most likely not going over the miles, and I have about 35000 additional miles on my other car for the next 30 months or so if I need to switch back and forth to even things out.

atthehop

If they are offering 8k in incentives it usually means they cannot sell them, because they are a piece of junk to operate, and that is their Kool-Aid.

When I worked for a very large rental car corp they came to us to add them in our rental fleet and they were some of the worst performing vehicles and we only utilized them for a short period of time.

Optimus Uber

Full disclosure up front, I'm not getting another car solely for Uber/Lyft. It's a personal need as well, and it will be nice to have my own car dedicated to my purposes that I don't have to yank car seats out of and set up. I wanted to go with a larger SUV for XL trips, but that's not going to be in my budget. So I looked midsize and I kept running into the same thing. I could get close, but I can't go over budget. So I shifted my attention to a Corolla or Civic, which I could make work with the right specials, and the Corolla in particular kills every affordable midsize sedan in terms of legroom. It's a nice fit, drove fine and I can get it at or very close to budget. On a lark though, I looked around at some more oddball choices, like a small SUV. That led me to the Fiat 500x. I test drove it and it drives fine, and it's got less legroom but it's passable and a little more versatile. It's also a little different and more fun. I wouldn't normally consider it, but here's the deal on the table. I qualify for $8,000 dollars worth of incentives on Fiat, which would make my monthly lease payment about $106.00 a month, for 36 months, 12k a year, with me putting $1900.00 up front to cover taxes, first month and all fees. Gap insurance too. The best I could do on the Corolla was 150 a month with the same cash down, and no gap insurance. I could go to New York and get the same deal on the Corolla with gap, but that's a bit of a pain. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? It sounds like a good deal to me, and Uber support already said that they WILL on-board the Fiat since it's a true 4 door crossover. The Fiat puts me about $1300.00 under my budget, which would more than pay for the difference in MPG between it and the Corolla. Keep in mind I'm a part timer, so I'm most likely not going over the miles, and I have about 35000 additional miles on my other car for the next 30 months or so if I need to switch back and forth to even things out.
Fiat is to the 2010's what the Yugo was to the 80's. There's incentives up the wazoo for them because the fad has worn off and people are starting to realize they're ugly not cute. At least with the toyota you'll have reliability. There's a reason there's $8k in incentives on them. They were never worth their price tag to begin with. Once the commercials and marketing has subsided, the sales dropped out on the bottom. Only the ignoramous' that fell into the marketing hype got stuck with such hideous looking cars. To me the fiat is no different than the smart car.

ElectricEliminator

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If they are offering 8k in incentives it usually means they cannot sell them, because they are a piece of junk to operate, and that is their Kool-Aid.

When I worked for a very large rental car corp they came to us to add them in our rental fleet and they were some of the worst performing vehicles and we only utilized them for a short period of time.
I test drove it and it's OK, this is an entirely new car based on the Jeep Renegade platform, so it's not really comparable to the rest of their lineup. They definitely aren't selling well, only about 1500 total last month, but the Renegade sold about 6500 and it's the exact same car, just different styling. Would I buy one with hopes of long term ownership and high resale value? No, probably not. But would I lease one for three years with a full warranty? That remains to be seen. Most of the incentives are coming from the finance company, and 1000 in conquest cash since I'm a competitive lessee. I also had another 1000 from TrueCar.

ElectricEliminator

Fiat is to the 2010's what the Yugo was to the 80's. There's incentives up the wazoo for them because the fad has worn off and people are starting to realize they're ugly not cute. At least with the toyota you'll have reliability. There's a reason there's $8k in incentives on them. They were never worth their price tag to begin with. Once the commercials and marketing has subsided, the sales dropped out on the bottom. Only the ignoramous' that fell into the marketing hype got stuck with such hideous looking cars. To me the fiat is no different than the smart car.
I agree for the most part, but this is a shared platform vehicle with the Renegade, it's totally different from the rest of their lineup, it really just keeps the Fiat styling, which I honestly don't mind. It's not as cutesy as the regular 500. I'm not going to get those kind of incentives on a Renegade either.

ElectricEliminator

$109 a month???? WTF???? That's cheaper than a cell phone.
Exactly. It's not my dream car, but I'm not getting my dream car anyway on my budget (NSX FTW), and this comes out so far under budget and I'm getting a lot of car for the money. It's not a base level trim either.

SmokeyJonez

I qualify for $8,000 dollars worth of incentives on Fiat, which would make my monthly lease payment about $106.00 a month, for 36 months, 12k a year,
12k miles a year on a lease is not enough even if youre only doing Uber 2 days a week. Lets say you drive 8 hours/day for 2 days and average 150 miles a day (which is low). That's 1,200 miles/month, which is already 200 miles/month over your limit. When you add in your personal miles, youll go way over 12k a year. Even if you return the car with 50k miles on it after 3 years, that's still 14k miles you'll have to pay to the dealership and they'll more than likely charge you for tires and brakes. You cant lease a car and drive for Uber in any fashion and expect to put minimal miles on your car. Youre better off buying something new over 5-6 years.

Last edited:

UberRVADriver

He doesn't do Uber, but my father just leased a 2016 Honda Civic and loves it. Very sporty and well equipped even at the lowest priced base model LX. It's more expensive than the Corolla, though (sticker price $20-21K for the LX, and Honda dealers aren't offering many incentives because it's a redesigned model and in high demand).

Leasing is almost never a good deal financially, but if you've got the cash to burn on the monthly payment and don't drive over the mileage allowance, it won't kill you. I personally use a 2005 and 2009 car for Uber driving, both paid for in cash and very little depreciation.

ElectricEliminator

12k miles a year on a lease is not enough even if youre only doing Uber 2 days a week. Lets say you drive 8 hours/day for 2 days and average 150 miles a day (which is low). That's 1,200 miles/month, which is already 200 miles/month over your limit. When you add in your personal miles, youll go way over 12k a year. Even if you return the car with 50k miles on it after 3 years, that's still 14k miles you'll have to pay to the dealership and they'll more than likely charge you for tires and brakes. You cant lease a car and drive for Uber in any fashion and expect to put minimal miles on your car. Youre better off buying something new over 5-6 years.
I usually drive Tuesday and Thursday night from 7:30 pm to 11:30 pm and Saturday nights from 7:30 pm to 2:30 am, about 15 hours a week. I don't drive a ton and on the weeknights I'm usually putting well under 100 miles a night on the car. Weekends are probably closer to 100. For personal use I only need 1400 miles a year for my trip to the train station, and the first three are covered by another car right now that I give back in June. I also have a third car with about 31 months left on the lease and 35,000 miles left that's driven minimally once I stop using it for Uber, so I can use that to balance things out if I'm going over. I could always find out how much a 15k a year would be too.

ElectricEliminator

He doesn't do Uber, but my father just leased a 2016 Honda Civic and loves it. Very sporty and well equipped even at the lowest priced base model LX. It's more expensive than the Corolla, though (sticker price $20-21K for the LX, and Honda dealers aren't offering many incentives because it's a redesigned model and in high demand).

Leasing is almost never a good deal financially, but if you've got the cash to burn on the monthly payment and don't drive over the mileage allowance, it won't kill you. I personally use a 2005 and 2009 car for Uber driving, both paid for in cash and very little depreciation.
I was very happy with my 2010 Civic, I'd do another one but the best I could find with 1999 total out of pocket was 169 a month on an LX. That's a huge difference.

N

NJ123

I used to have a civic and loved it. But my insurance went through the roof- because I live in Essex county and they said it's the number one car for theft.
For a smaller suv look at a rogue.

ElectricEliminator

I used to have a civic and loved it. But my insurance went through the roof- because I live in Essex county and they said it's the number one car for theft.
I would do a Rogue, but it duplicates what I already have in a Honda CR-V. The Juke would be more comparable, which I hate, or an HR-V from Honda, which is not going to have the same incentives and is rated just beneath the 500x by Car and Driver. Money is the big factor, and I don't think anyone is touching that pricing.

tohunt4me

Dealerships and parts.Corolla.

Try to find Fiat parts quickly.

(P.s. price a corolla starter)

ElectricEliminator

Dealerships and parts.Corolla.

Try to find Fiat parts quickly.
That's a good point, but the underpinnings of the car are the same as the Jeep Renegade, and the parts should be interchangeable, especially anything of importance. Platform, Engine and drive train are identical.

N

NJ123

I would do a Rogue, but it duplicates what I already have in a Honda CR-V. The Juke would be more comparable, which I hate, or an HR-V from Honda, which is not going to have the same incentives and is rated just beneath the 500x by Car and Driver. Money is the big factor, and I don't think anyone is touching that pricing.
What is your budget for a suv. I have 2 kids and have done my fair share of research on suv.

ElectricEliminator

Fiats and the Renegade are consistently on do not buy lists. I would have concerns.
Perhaps because of low resale value? On a lease I couldn't care less. Car and Driver has them ranked 3rd and 4th in the segment, behind the CX-3 and Juke, but ahead of the HR-V, Trax, Encore and Paceman.

ElectricEliminator

What is your budget for a suv. I have 2 kids and have done my fair share of research on suv.
It doesn't have to be an SUV or CUV. My total budget for the next three years is 7000 dollars. 200 a month on a sign and drive lease, or 145 a month with 1900 down to cover tax, tags, first month and fees. The Fiat puts me almost 1400 under budget, and God knows that I could find a million other things to use the surplus on.

Dream12

Does a Rogue hold value like a CRV ?