• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

This Uber driver sells his handmade jewelry out of his car, and made a quarter million dollars last

aarias

http://qz.com/477971/video-this-uber-driver-sells-his-handmade-jewelry-out-of-his-car-and-made-a-quarter-million-dollars-last-year/

Gavin Escolar has designed jewelry pieces worth over a hundred thousand dollars. He’s also an Uber driver.

He started driving for the ride share platform a few years ago. At first, it was a way for him to make extra money as a struggling artist living in San Francisco, one of the most expensive cities in the world. But it didn’t take long for Escolar to discover the potential of having a 15-minute, exclusive audience with potential buyers for his jewelry.

Disgusted Driver

This is old news. Uber has been promoting and trumpeting him for at least a year. He's one person who's managed to make it work well for himself (he also rents cars out to other drivers) and they try to make it look like we are all doing well, i.e. it's our fault if we aren't. Not all of us have the creativity and gift for gab that this driver does. My hat is off to him and his success but it's not a reality for most of us.

aarias

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was my impression as well. We all are getting these "Do not promote other businesses" email on a weekly basis. So I guess Uber is okay with it afterall. Just so contradicting.

Disgusted Driver

No, it's fine as long as pax don't complain about it (and that you aren't promoting Lyft). So feel free to go right ahead until some dick complains about it.

Nothing like the slippery slope of ambiguity!

negeorgia

So I keep getting his email about being 'unprofessional' and promoting other businesses. I sometimes think when people ask me why do I drive for Uber and I mention former employers people get confused and think I am promoting that business.

jrboy

So I keep getting his email about being 'unprofessional' and promoting other businesses. I sometimes think when people ask me why do I drive for Uber and I mention former employers people get confused and think I am promoting that business.
those are general remarks by uber to try to scare you from promoting lyft. but you are an ic.