This really pisses me off.

Telsa34

Well I decided to drive a while today, most of the gas stations in and around Jacksonville are selling out of gasoline but will get refilled tomorrow. So that's going to be the scenario probably for the next week to 10 days with the fact that gas is now it about $2.83 a gallon by the end of next week it'll be close to four dollars.

I drove with both apps on this morning and by the end of the day I had run up about $110 on lyft and about $30 on Uber so at least uber paid for my gasoline when I could find it. Now I picked up a young female sailor and was going to take her to the Naval Air Station Jacksonville and as soon as she got in the car she got a phone call, and of course I overheard the conversation she'd apparently take her car in somewhere and they were calling her with a estimate for repairs, I heard her say $450 she got off the phone and she really looked depressed. So I spoke up and I says you taken your car in for repair and she said yes and I asked her where and she said AAMCO transmissions and I said and they want $450 to repair your car and she said yes and I asked her what the repair was and she said a right rear wheel bearing immediately my blood pressure rose.

So I calmly said they want $450 to replace your right rear wheel bearing is that correct and she says yes and they also charge me a $200 diagnostic fee, so now I'm really pissed off, she said she had taken the car in because she heard the right rear wheel making noise and she told him the noise was coming from the right rear she left the car there on Monday and they called her today. I'm kind of glad they did call her today because last night Gov. Ridge Scott put up the one 800 scam alert for anybody that attempts to price gouge anyone during the hurricane approaching Florida.

So I told her I says why don't you call that guy back telling you need 15 min. to make sure you've got enough money in the account and you're calling him right back. I told her I was retired 20 years Navy and I owned a garage for 20 years and I would call and find out how much the parts were. I called AutoZone it's a sealed bearing that you can press out of the rear hub assembly that cost $40 or you could buy the whole hub assembly for $90 I've done this procedure there's not more than two hours labor in so yes they were absolutely price gouging this young woman serving our country and the United States Navy.

So I told her to call him back if she wanted to and that I would make the repairs on her car and it probably would not be more than $250 she was in tears I drove her out of the Naval Air Station I dropped her off the controlled are and she's going to call me back in the morning and I'll go out and pick her up and I'm going to drive her over to AAMCO transmissions. And then I'm going to go in with her and I'm going to calmly and very professionally tell them that I am her father and that if they want to charge for one hour diagnostic fee for hundred dollars there's nothing I can do about it but if they think that they're going to charge her $200 diagnostic fee for right rear wheel bearing when she told him the noise was coming from the right rear they could go ahead and do that but if they did, I would file a report with the Florida Department of Agriculture which controls the licensing of all garages in the state of Florida, then I will call one 800 scam alert line and tell them about the price gouging they attempted to do this young sailor.

Then along with filling the complaint with the Better Business Bureau not that anybody that unscrupulous would care about what the Better Business Bureau thinks, and finally I will call corporate AAMCO transmissions and report to them what they attempted to do to a sailor in Jacksonville Florida this really passes me off.

Last night I seen here on the forum about a driver somewhere that had an estimate for $950 to replace a cooling fan and a thermostat on his car and of course I spoke up and said what kind of car do you drive a Lamborghini is I don't know of any normal passenger car where a cooling fan and a thermostat would cost $950. He finally answered and said it was a PT cruiser I looked those parts up the cooling fan was $59 at AutoZone a thermostat is a little labor intensive it's underneath the intake but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad it would stand to reason that if the cooling fan went bad of course the cars can overheat and a thermostat not may not even be bad but it's not a bad idea to change it the bottom line is any reputable shop could make those repairs for around 250 or $300 not $950.

I post this up because this is why I like driving for Uber I was able to help this young lady out and I will do everything that I can to make sure that doesn't happen to someone else and I feel that a lot of you absolutely feel the same way I guess.

I'll stand by with a bag of popcorn and see if somebody wants to make some facetious remark about it, I will bet it's from Hey Joe. He just cant stand people trying to post up something decent. Especially if you are a Uber driver.

I hope everyone has a good safe week and all my fellow drivers in the state of Florida are careful.

Last edited:

HeyJoe

The City of Jacksonville and it's town folks are so blessed that you make yourself available to them. I'm happy for those that you help.

Telsa34

The City of Jacksonville and it's town folks are so blessed that you make yourself available to them. I'm happy for those that you help.

(I'll stand by with a bag of popcorn and see if somebody wants to make some facetious remark about it.)

Thanks H. J. you proved my point.

And I should have posted up, it would come from you. You truly are a card.

colbert-popcorn.gif

Last edited:

Telsa34

You did all this for .80 a mile?jk
I did it because I felt sorry for her, she's serving our country she's active duty Navy out at the Naval Air Station Jacksonville and somebody was really trying to take advantage of her and really there is no need for any sarcastic or facetious remarks but I did see at least you said just kidding.

Last edited:

KMANDERSON

I did it because I felt sorry for she's serving our country she's active duty Navy out at the Naval Air Station Jacksonville and somebody was really trying to take advantage of her and really there is no need for any sarcastic or facetious remarks but I did see at least you said just kidding
It good to do good for others.If more people did this it would be a better world.

Reactions: MHR

Dragonetti

24/7 AutoMechanic - ask for Charlie. I had to replace wheel bearing parts/labor = $239 and was completed in 2hrs!