• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

This job changes people. But is Samoir forgiven?

Is Samoir forgiven?

• He is forgiven

Votes: 72 66.7%
  • He is not forgiven

Votes: 36 33.3%

• Total voters

Eugene73

This is a good little Parable. Shout out to the Vic Mackey references. The shield is a vastly underrated drama. It gives Braking bad a run for it's money in my opinion.

We all have our limits. A person must decide for themselves what's right, and what's wrong since no two people view the world from the same perspective.

At the end of the day time is money. I believe there is a lesson in everything, including Uber/Lyft. I've done this for two years now part time, and I see everything in terms of how long it will take me to reach a financial goal . Ride share is time + efficiency equation. The divers that figure that out are the ones that make this thing work for them. Will I lie cheat, or steal, to make a few bucks? No. Will I go out of my way to return your item? Absolutely not. My time is valuable and I need to be compensated for it otherwise you are what society calls a free rider. Your emergency does not constitute me dropping what I am doing and tending to you.

In the spirit of sharing I'll tell you a little story....

Early into my journey with rideshare I get a ping during a downtown surge on Lyft. I work my way through traffic to get to the pickup point. I wait for a few minutes for my passenger. Two guys and girls get in, and they're absolutely trashed . They're drunk, obnoxious, and eating pizza. I tell them I don't allow food in my car, and they proceed to berate me, curse me out, and tell me how much of a scum bag I am. I tell them to exit the car, and the one girl pretty much calls me a lowly Lyft driver that is too stupid to do anything else. They decide that I am going to take them to wherever it is they want. While they are sitting here cursing me out, I get a phone call. Guess what? It's from my actual passenger.

This foursome has gotten in the wrong car with their food. After some more arguing back and forth this group finally leaves my car slamming my doors behind them and telling me what an idiot I am.

It's late in the night and the actual passenger is not at this destination, so I just decide to cancel and call it a night. I was pretty pissed about the interaction with the foursome, but I managed to stay calm.

Half way to my house, I hear a phone ring. I look down on the floor, and low and behold someone has left their brand new iphone on the back seat of my car. One of the girls who had been cursing and disrespecting me left her phone in the gold sparkly case in the back of the car. Talk about a moral decision. A brand new Iphone that prob cost about 600 + (they has just released these new versions of the iphone that week) left by the person who just called me every name under the sun. The phone rings a second time and I grab it and promptly turn it off so they cannot track my location and show up before or, if I decide I want to deal with them again.

Because the passenger was not my actual passenger they have no record or way to connect with me and I know this. I get home, take the phone in with me, and sleep on it. I have a decision in front of me in the morning.

Am I Samoir?
I hope you sold it on the street corner for a few hundy, if so you’re my Uber driver hero. If you returned it you’ll still be rewarded from above!

Daisey77

I hope you sold it on the street corner for a few hundy, if so you’re my Uber driver hero. If you returned it you’ll still be rewarded from above!
Ok . . . A driver just not locating a lost item when the passengers terms of service very clearly states,we are not not responsible for lost or stolen items, is a lot different than a driver selling stolen property. LOL

roadman

The final question: is Samoir forgiven?
Forgiven for what exactly? Samoir has done nothing wrong. Samoir is doing his part. Every single one of his actions can be justified. He drives to the pickup location and they ain't never ready for the ride, that they just ordered.

Will the pax be forgiven? Will Uber be forgiven? Their actions cannot be justified.

1.5xorbust

I heard he is still out there roaming the streets, dispensing justice to the clueless and the moronic.
In that case perhaps he could help me with a very perplexing dilemma.

Last week I saw my therapist for my weekly visit. She asked me how ubering was going and I told her it was going great. She asked me what had caused such a positive change in my attitude. I told her that I am no longer concerned about the money but that now I drive strictly for fun and to serve the community.

At the end of the session she told me that from now on I must pay in advance for my therapy sessions. Now that I am driving for the sheer joy of driving and altruistic reasons I’m not sure that I’ll be be able to afford my much needed therapy.

What would Samoir do?

Last edited:

Daisey77

In that case perhaps he could help me with a very perplexing dilemma.

Last week I saw my therapist for my weekly visit. She asked me how ubering was going and I told her it was going great. She asked me what had caused such a positive change in my attitude. I told her that I am no longer concerned about the money but that now I drive strictly for fun and to serve the community.

At the end of the session she told me that from now on I must pay in advance for my therapy sessions. Now that I am driving for the sheer joy of driving and altruistic reasons I’m not sure that I’ll be be able to afford my much needed therapy.

What would Samoir do?
I think he would tell you that you need to tell your therapist you've changed your mind and you are in fact doing it for the money lol

1.5xorbust

I thought about doing that but I don’t think lying to my therapist will help with the long term success of my therapy. I guess I’m not a very good liar.

Bpr2

How can I cancel a trip and charge it to the customer? I thought cancel = no pay for me, no fee for them.

???
Wait out the 5 minute wait time timer until the timer says you can cancel and the. Press passenger no show and then get paid. First though, take a screen shot of the pop up that says canceling is okay.

Kaiser Soze

Brilliant OP. Haven't read the entire thread, I can't agree with all of Samoir's actions, but passengers and Uber can be shitty.

So you think he may have been a dishonest, morally-challenged person all along? "Fair weather ethics" only - when difficult situations and people came along to really challenge his integrity and put him to the test, that's when he showed his true colours?
So, if he's a man of his ethics he would've quit Uber the moment his moral compass was lost. There are some that won't steal food even if they haven't eaten in days.

Let me also say this, Uber and it's passengers can be monsters, but that is any industry, any job. If you were a waiter, would you spit in a customer's food if he was "mean" to you?