This is why you need extra coverage

BurgerTiime

Full story: https://www.google.com/amp/m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-economy/article/2148700/uber-mulling-extra-insurance-its-drivers-after-hong?amp=1

Uber mulling extra insurance for its drivers after Hong Kong death
Ride-hailing firm in talks to cover drivers for injuries following Hong Kong’s first fatal accident involving the company’s first accident in April involving the ride-hailing firm.

General manager Kenneth She Chun-chi disclosed the plan on Thursday after it was revealed that the company’s insurance policies only covered third parties and not the drivers themselves.

“In Europe Uber is working with French insurer AXA to offer its self-employed drivers insurance protection for personal injuries and illnesses as extra welfare. But the prerequisite is that Europe has a regulated market for Uber,” he said.

The accident, which left four others injured, was the first in the city involving an Uber car. The tragedy sparked questions about whether – and to what extent – the company would compensate those affected in such situations.

The US-based company’s policy with insurer AIG provides third-party coverage of up to HK$100 million (US$12.74 million) per event for bodily injury or death incurred by Uber rides in Hong Kong, based on the Motor Vehicles Insurance (Third Party Risks) Ordinance.
Uber Hong Kong is considering extra insurance for its drivers to cover health care and compensation for personal injury, in the wake of the city’s first fatal
“By the same token, we are now discussing ways to offer extra insurance protection for our driver-partners [in Hong Kong], such as medical and personal injury. But it depends on whether the current insurance policy under the law can allow it to happen.”

Uber rides in Hong Kong are still unregulated by the government and are deemed illegal. Under the law a hire-car permit is required by the government.

Uber's Guber

Rideshare companies in America are mandated to maintain insurance coverages. Drivers should still sign on with an insurance company in their state that offers rideshare addendums. I pay less than $100 a year to add a rideshare supplement to my policy and I sleep better at night. Failure to notify your policy provider that you are operating as a rideshare operator can bring you great grief.

Uber rides in Hong Kong are deemed illegal. Seriously?
Just about everything involving transportation in Hong Kong is illegal. Visitor beware! :eek::p:confused:

BurgerTiime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber rides in Hong Kong are deemed illegal. Seriously?
A lot of people dont know when Uber touts it’s growth they provide numbers including illegal transportation. The vast majority of Uber’s rides are vastly still illegal across the globe. Hence their never-ending lawsuits. Uber may very well be the most sued company in history if not already.

SEAL Team 5

The US-based company’s policy with insurer AIG provides third-party coverage of Uber rides in Hong
Uber rides in Hong Kong are still unregulated by the government and are deemed illegal.
I need to get this straight. High profile U.S. insurance company AIG insures illegal activities in Hong Kong?

I'm going to watch their stocks for the next couple weeks. Hell, I might even call my broker on Monday and tell him to go short on AIG.