1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

This is why not to do events

Discussion in 'Advice' started by MyJessicaLS430, Oct 8, 2018.

1. A picture is worth a million words. My select trip!! What a waste of time.

IMG_20181008_104153.jpg

It seems only a few are willing to walk away from the stadium for easier pick up (The only trip in the screenshot). Anyone here has worked out a pick-up place with your passengers?

jgiun1, Roger Wil and tohunt4me like this.
  2. JimKE

JimKE

Were they canceling as soon as they saw the surge? Or because you called them and told them they had to walk some distance to pickup?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    tohunt4me likes this.
  3. New2This

New2This

If they won't work with you to help facilitate pickup they're likely going to be a pain in the ass on the trip as well.

Most people will walk if you have a good spot and couch in their benefit: "I'm as close as I can get. If you don't mind walking a little bit to me I'll be able to get us out of here quicker"

My best to date

20180806_162906.jpg

4. cumonohito

cumonohito

Driving:
    UberX
    I second this as well, some venues are a pain to get in, best to have a location that is easy on/off, and minimize time waiting. I would also add that for a passenger it is easier for them to move towards me, than me to them. I haven't had a good one compared to NEW2This, but I've had my share of $50-$60 rides from venues.

tohunt4me and New2This like this.
  5. JimKE

JimKE

The reason I asked that question above is this. If they are canceling because they don't want to walk, that's fine. As others have said, they will probably be a PITA anyway.

BUT -- if you're going to call them to ask them to walk...WAIT 2 minutes before you call. If you do that, when they cancel, you will get a cancellation fee.

In the example above, those six cancellations would have been an additional $22.50. If you're gonna put yourself through that crap, at least get paid for your trouble.

6. A part of the problem is with the police.... They only allow vehicles to exit but not entering the stadium. My car was a mile away from the stadium so that is no way the Uber timer can start the count-down.

I am amazed by these entitled, condescending humans:
    Pas1: Ok, you tell me to walk 0.5 mile to the XXX plaza hotel (nearest landmark to the stadium). I am too tired after the game.
    <How tired can he be sitting for the entire 2 hrs?>

Pas2: Wow. A 0.5 mile walk. Can you reduce the fare for the distance I walk?
    <I wish I could adjust the X rate to taxi rate > :rolleyes:

Pas3: OK. I don't mind walking. But what is the point if I arrive earlier than you do?
    < Seriously? How long do you wait for a Houston taxi to dispatch? (30 min+)>

Pas4: Can you be quick since I am in hurry. I am paying $30. Or I cancel to wait for a lower fare.
    < Try to intimidate me? Didn't you say you were in hurry?>:rolleyes:

This is for any passengers who agree. Drive your own @#?#% car and pay the stadium $40 parking if you
    1) don't have the legs to walk
    2) cannot afford a taxi!

Steve_TX, fortyTwo and New2This like this.
  7. What an entitled POS! Ew

Steve_TX likes this.
  8. 105398

I don't accept pings / requests that are at the designated pickup points for arenas, stadiums, etc. I let them go, sometimes 8-10 in a row and only take the ones a few blocks away where I know I can find them/egress more efficiently. Even if the surge is a little less I don't waste time in gridlock, and the pax are happier too that I get to them quicker. (and often they're the smarter ones too knowing to walk a few blocks away to request.)

9. TDR

TDR

May be gender,rating,car,experience,price. In general it’s not worse because rider may give attitude since paying big money, more time involved in surge area where gas, time, vehicle abuse. Thanks

10. New2This

New2This

I cancel those immediately. Usually they have to reorder on a higher Surge.

Karma's a (female canine) isn't it? :rolleyes:

MyJessicaLS430 and TDR like this.
  11. TDR

TDR

Tips possible since happy :)

12. JimKE

JimKE

But you get a cancellation fee anyway if the rider cancels more than two minutes after ordering the ride...don't you?

gaijinpen likes this.
  13. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't usually do events. Last week I got called to a concert letting out at the Toyota Music Factory and got a nice surge ride. I didn't know where the uber pick up was and had to ask a cop. Turns out I came in on the wrong side of the venue and had to drive around. But the Uber pickup area was quick and easy.

Christinebitg likes this.
  14. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    There are quite a few events here that don't have designated pickup points. IMO, those are great times to call the pax.

Christine

15. JimKE

JimKE

Events here vary so much that it's hard to have any set "rules" for how you work them.

Basically, we have two sorts of events -- those that are limited to one venue, and those that are scattered all over town. And just when you figure that out, we also have multiple events with one venue going on simultaneously in different parts of town!

What I generally do with the one-venue events is drive pax TO them, but not back from them. That's partially because pax tend to be pretty messed up leaving, and also partly because I simply don't work late nights when most of them are leaving.

There are certain types of one-venue event where I will pick up. For example, I WILL pick up at the Miami Open Tennis Tournament, but not Ultra which is the same weekend. Tennis fans are boring, but well-behaved; Ultra survivors, not so much.

Other events, everybody is usually chill -- art festivals, boat shows, etc. Concerts? Naw. Too late and too problematic on a number of levels.

MHR likes this.
  16. ANT 7

ANT 7

Driving:
    UberX
    I refuse to pickup at venues for sporting events or concerts. A total PITA if you try to IMHO.