1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

This guy turned his Tesla into an Uber, but it didn’t go well

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by chi1cabby, Sep 12, 2015.

1. chi1cabby

chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-uber-driver-picks-you-up-in-a-tesla-model-s-2015-09-11

MW-DU072_uber_t_20150911150537_ZH.jpg

So far, Zhang said he’s completed 102 trips and made $1,022.59, before Uber took its cut and without accounting for his own expenses. After the Uber fee — which can range from 20% to 28% depending on the city and when the driver signed up — Zhang calculates that he has collected 76 cents per mile. This is cut down to 70 cents when factoring in his Tesla’s cost of six cents per mile to drive.

This may not be enough of a profit to keep driving for the service, Zhang said, and he’s pausing his driving while deciding whether to keep going.

“I cannot spend money and my time [when] I’m not making a return,” Zhang said.

2. Chicago-uber

Chicago-uber

6 cents per mile to operate his car? Hmm, even though his car is electric, I think it will cost more than 6 cents per mile to operate it.

UberRach, zMann and chi1cabby like this.
  3. toi

toi

Driving:
    Livery
    I am in the market for a next car for livery and did look into tesla as well too. Numbers just dont make sense. For $80 k u buy a sprinter limo , which makes around $700-1k per run easy when booked .
    If tesla made sense economically you'd see teslas in every livery operation. Thats the bottomline.

Chada75 likes this.
  4. Travisty mentioned on Colbert that there are Uber Teslas. So what?

5. 101 miles in city driving, range of 200 miles per charge

Interesting

6. KGB7

KGB7

Driving:
    UberX
    Tesla should be UberBlack. How the **** is Tesla an UberX????

Yet, a 2008 Mazda 3 is UberX.

Jedi Driver likes this.
  7. PHXTE

PHXTE

What is someone that can afford a $100k car doing driving for Uber for pocket change?

Huberis likes this.
  8. Fauxknight

Fauxknight

Driving:
    UberX
    His costs are way off, maybe that's just his electricity cost per mile though, seems high, but maybe electric is expensive where he is at (by comparison my Fuel costs on the PriusC are around 4 cents per mile at current fuel prices - $2/gallon).

So on to the rest of his expenses, that's a Tesla 85, so base price is $85k, depreciation could easily be around $.40 per mile for one just off the lot. With tire, maintenance, and electricity he might be over $.50/mile in actual costs.

Jedi Driver, Huberis and KeJorn like this.
  9. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    I thought the exact same and maybe he was from a place with only x but Pasadena has everything. He is doing something wrong.

10. rtaatl

rtaatl

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Uber black is more than just a car, it's proper licensure and insurance in your state to go with the proper type of vehicle.

KGB7 and chi1cabby like this.
  11. he didn't apply it for uberblack, or this is all publicity stunt.

12. chi1cabby

chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Everyone who's posting that the Tesla guy should be UberBLACK doesn't realize that Uber_LA stopped adding new UberBLACK accounts a while back.

Huberis, KGB7 and Txchick like this.
  13. KeJorn

KeJorn

Driving:
    UberX
    Example one: Rider fee included in gross fares quoted.
    Example two: Rider fees already deducted from quoted gross fares.

UberTeslaPasedena2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    chi1cabby likes this.
  14. UberXTampa

UberXTampa

Driving:
    UberX
    If the guy drives a Tesla, he must look for making as many referrals as possible.
    For every buyer he refers, he gets a $1,000.00 from Tesla.
    If he has the highest number of referrals in his region, he gets a free Tesla Model X.
    Not a completely stupid move if he meant to use his Tesla as a test drive car to market it to all his riders.
    If I had a Tesla, I would consider using it in Select category to do just that!

Doc Nyto and chi1cabby like this.
  15. ReviTULize

ReviTULize

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Many people live outside their means(not that this guy is). It's very common for people to lease high-end vehicles and get 2nd/3rd mortgages, etc...just to "keep up with the Jones"

KGB7 likes this.
  16. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    It's sad when you meet people with high 6 figure incomes and they are a week away from being homeless because possessions come before savings. I have met many that fit that bill, I was always taught to live below your pay grade.

Jedi Driver, KGB7 and ReviTULize like this.
  17. ReviTULize

ReviTULize

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Exactly. You can't take any of it with you when you leave this world.

18. KGB7

KGB7

Driving:
    UberX
    You give it to the kids, just as long as you dont owe banks 5 mortgages.

Jedi Driver and ReviTULize like this.
  19. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    ...and also forgetting that UberBLACK is a COMMERICAL service, requiring livery plates and commercial insurance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    chi1cabby likes this.
  20. KGB7

KGB7

Driving:
    UberX
    Thats just dumb on the Tesla owner part.

On UberX, even if he drove 12 hours a day 7 days a week, 1/3 of the monthly income would go towards paying off the car.