• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

This California city just voted to give a $30 minimum wage to Uber and Lyft drivers

Uber's Guber

Uber can geofence an area, but if they do not deactivate the drivers, they cannot geofence the drivers, so the drivers can go out of the geofenced area and go online. Do you think that is a possibility?
It will probably go down like this: If the El Monte City Council dictates that their El Monte residents will be paid X amount of dollars to drive Uber, Uber will simply deactivate any Uber driver possessing a driver license with an El Monte address. Drivers who live in other nearby cities will service El Monte (unless El Monte outlaws Uber like the city of Austin once tried) but all El Monte license holders will still be blacked out from using the app anytime anywhere.

Sorry I've edited my comment and you probably missed it - As a public company, as Uber is today, would you agree there is a possibility they could have shareholders residing in El Monte, possibly driving for Uber?
For the most part, probably not.... not enough stock-owning Uber drivers that are gonna change corporate hearts & minds anyway.
As far as holding stock, your interest is one of investing, and being a driver has nothing to do with it. People who own stock in McDonalds & Starbucks may know people who work there, but trust me they're not saying "gee, let's pay low-skill workers more than they're worth and drive the stock down further."

Anyway, I'm not sure where you're wanting to go with this.... perhaps you're ready to move from East LA or wherever your from and go plant roots next-door in El Monte to chase their $30 hr mythical unicorn who's eating greener grass and pie-in-the-sky because the El Monte council says so. I'm not wishing to demean anyone, but driving, especially Uber driving, is an extremely low-skill job that nearly anyone can do. If you really love driving and want to do it full time and make a living at it you might want to consider trucking which is in high demand, or do bus driving or para-transit driving or maybe deliver oxygen tanks to old people. It's better than full-time Ubering; you'll get med insurance & paid vacations and best of all you won't be driving your own vehicles into the ground. I wish you luck.

Launchpad McQuack

If the El Monte City Council dictates that their El Monte residents will be paid X amount of dollars to drive Uber...
The El Monte city council has no jurisdiction over anything that happens outside of El Monte. They can only dictate what Uber must pay when they are operating within the city limits. Outside the city limits, they have no jurisdiction. So if an El Monte resident left the city limits and drove for Uber outside the city, El Monte would have no say in what the driver gets paid.

jocker12

If the El Monte City Council dictates that their El Monte residents will be paid X amount of dollars to drive Uber, Uber will simply deactivate any Uber driver possessing a driver license with an El Monte address.
Thank you for coming back and try to present your hypothesis about this.

Initially (your comment #9 on this thread) you mentioned how "They'd die by drinking themselves to death on their last big paycheck." Where is that big paycheck going to come from?

Last edited:

Rockocubs

I don't want a minnium wage but what would be great if they would mandate a minnium time and per mile rate per market and then leave it up to the drivers to go earn it.

Lee239

I don't even understand how they factor in an hourly wage when in places it means waiting for a ping for hours without pay and then getting a short ride and having to drive 6 miles to pickup for a one mile ride and earning $2.50 or less gross (pun intended) and then no other pings and having to drive back home. So do they count that one minute ride or driving to the pickup as part of the hour too? because during rush hour this waste of time can easily take over 30 minutes.

and even if it were $15 an hour with your expenses it's not. I had a few long rides where I made over $15 an hour, but at the end for taxes it was a loss in earnings.
Post automatically merged:

The El Monte city council has no jurisdiction over anything that happens outside of El Monte. They can only dictate what Uber must pay when they are operating within the city limits. Outside the city limits, they have no jurisdiction. So if an El Monte resident left the city limits and drove for Uber outside the city, El Monte would have no say in what the driver gets paid.
So they are just hurting their residents if Uber decides it won't pick up there or if they do they will have to charge the pax $5 a mile,.

KevinH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does Lyft's claim that drivers are "booked" 90% of the time their ap is on seem real? " the company says drivers spend roughly 90% of their time “'booked,' "

Ssgcraig

Let’s try it again @jocker12 ,UP resident Hate everything and blame everything on Uber.

A. increase driver earnings
B. subsequently fares need to increase👈
C. Fares now 👉Not AFFORDABLE👈 for the average rider
D. That rider will be forced on the bus 🚌
E. Less riders means less uber cars (whither and die)

Result of increased Driver Earnings

Yes, it was Ubers fault. OMG you can't make this shit up, today in America there is always someone to blame for our bad choices in life.

ANT 7

I clear $200-250 a day.

$20 an hour basically............tax free though after deductions and expenses.

WinterFlower

Let’s try it again @jocker12 ,UP resident Hate everything and blame everything on Uber.

A. increase driver earnings
B. subsequently fares need to increase👈
C. Fares now 👉Not AFFORDABLE👈 for the average rider
D. That rider will be forced on the bus 🚌
E. Less riders means less uber cars (whither and die)

Result of increased Driver Earnings

Is that you in the pic?

Let's try to be more specific - all drivers are gonna die?
Please confirm. In that case I want to marry a driver from that city and then cash out the life insurance.

They'd die by drinking themselves to death on their last big paycheck. If not, they blew their last check and now have to go work elsewhere because Uber will simply bail out of El Monte. I hear tent space is filling up fast in San Francisco.
UberCampground. Camping-sharing. Cool idea

All of them?
Yep. All of them

Trouble grasping the English language? By "whither and die" he's referring to rideshare business in El Monte.
You mean no life insurance for me? Damn it

Again - All of them?
Oh boy. Yes, buddy, all of them. You heard the guy

Thank you for coming back and try to present your hypothesis about this.

Initially (your comment #9 on this thread) you mentioned how "They'd die by drinking themselves to death on their last big paycheck." Where is that big paycheck going to come from?
That was my insurance check

Last edited:

Z129

Uber can geofence an area, but if they do not deactivate the drivers, they cannot geofence the drivers, so the drivers can go out of the geofenced area and go online. Do you think that is a possibility?
Sorry I've edited my comment and you probably missed it - As a public company, as Uber is today, would you agree there is a possibility they could have shareholders residing in El Monte, possibly driving for Uber?
El Monte is an extremely poor city. A quick Google search resulted in this:

The average income of a El Monte resident is $15,010 a year. The US average is $28,555 a year. - The Median household income of a El Monte resident is $38,906 a year. The US average is $53,482 a year.

So probably not a lot of stock holders in El Monte.

jocker12

That was my insurance check
He said paycheck, then he said Uber will deactivate drivers. Sometimes trolling confuses him.

So probably not a lot of stock holders in El Monte.
If Uber deactivates the drivers only because they asked for more money, and also geofences the city for passing an ordinance to protect some of its citizens from corporate abuse, Uber will instantly be in the same trouble it was back in 2017. As a public company, even if they have the history of leaving Austin when Uber was private though, Uber would never deactivate drivers asking for better payment.

This is because the airport is asking for a higher fee, not because the drivers want more money.

Ignatz

He said paycheck, then he said Uber will deactivate drivers. Sometimes trolling confuses him.

If Uber deactivates the drivers only because they asked for more money, and also geofences the city for passing an ordinance to protect some of its citizens from corporate abuse, Uber will instantly be in the same trouble it was back in 2017. As a public company, even if they have the history of leaving Austin when Uber was private though, Uber would never deactivate drivers asking for better payment.

This is because the airport is asking for a higher fee, not because the drivers want more money.
Took u 48 hours to come up with that response. Your emotional investment of hatred and lack of objectivity negates credibility.

No need to deactivate a driver who is not receiving ride requests
because of high-fare pushback from Uber’s former clients.

The driver will just whither, fall off the vine and D I E

i know my costs are approx $10 an hour when vehicle in motion so 25-10 is 15 and right around a living wage which is fare

dont know how they can enforce it though, I think states regulating minimum fares, per mile, per minutes paid to drivers like has been done & regulated for close to 50+ years seems easier but way to go city Ive never heard of

i don't service 90+% of pings so 90+% if ubers "customers" could go away wouldn't bother me a bit if i was 15 & it was the 1980s i might care what someone riding a bus had to say or thought but as an adult i really dont concern myself with that demographic

Last edited:

jocker12

Took u 48 hours to come up with that response. Your emotional investment of hatred and lack of objectivity negates credibility.

No need to deactivate a driver who is not receiving ride requests
because of high-fare pushback from Uber’s former clients.

The driver will just whither, fall off the vine and D I E
giphy.gif