thinking of signing up to drive in Toronto

reptilian

Couple of ??'s

-is a leased car ok or do I need to own it?

-how much data do you use? I'm limited to 300mb/mo

Thanks

Livan

You need more data, even if you only work part time. You'll probably need a GPS app and both Google maps and Waze use a few hundred megabytes. A couple of GBs at least. Not sure about the leased/ owned.

djino

Part of the terms of a car lease will likely be that you cannot drive passengers around for compensation .

In addition to the fact that you will likely exceed your allowed kilometres usage with your lease when driving for Uber .

Djino

NFIH

Couple of ??'s

Thanks
Can't speak to the leased car issue except to say DO NOT buy a car if you're doing it expressly for Uber. The job simply doesn't pay enough to justify such an expenditure. Depending on your mileage and maintenance needs, you're going to be netting $10-$20 an hour, tops. On occasion--such as during special events--you might make more, but these are outliers and not representative of a typical work day. Keep all that in mind when thinking about buying/leasing a car for Uber.

You'll definitely need more data. Three hundred MB isn't even close to cutting it.

Campark

I use approx 10 gigs of data just for uber per month... some companies charge 50 dollars per gig overages... 1 time my home modem broke and i ended up paying rogers 900 dollars for my kids to watch cartoons on netflix for a couple weeks lol...

Anyway... keep in mind the avg cost of a car is 50 cents per km... includes gas and maintenance.... pretty standard avg... any company pays this to employees who ise their own car for work purposes...

NFIH

I use approx 10 gigs of data just for uber per month... some companies charge 50 dollars per gig overages... 1 time my home modem broke and i ended up paying rogers 900 dollars for my kids to watch cartoons on netflix for a couple weeks lol...

Anyway... keep in mind the avg cost of a car is 50 cents per km... includes gas and maintenance.... pretty standard avg... any company pays this to employees who ise their own car for work purposes...
Ten gigs? You're doing something wrong. Until last month my family was on a 2 GB shared plan being used by THREE people, including myself for Uber doing 20-30-ish hours per week. We usually went over the 2 GB cap, but only by a bit. There's no way you should be using up 10 GB just on Uber/Google Maps, etc.

ap1342

I think he can buy a 2011/12 car and go Uber. If he's gonna drive in Toronto, he'll be able to pay for it from his earnings. Rome was not built in a day and he can earn well to pay for the car and have something left for his purpose of wanting to drive Uber

mavetick

Couple of ??'s

Thanks
I use about 3g per month and have a plan set up for five but I surf emails etc so I probably use a bit less than 3 just in uber with two apps running constantly (uber/nav).

ap1342

Wait, you're kidding, aren't you? Should he move to New York because of Uber? Do you know other factors in his life that might influence his decision to drive Uber in Toronto, for example family, etc?

Have you yourself driven in other Ontario cities other than Toronto before? Let me tell you, Uber Ontario is Toronto, not other cities. I drive in Toronto and other cities; there is no comparison. Toronto wins hands down.

So saying he shouldn't be driving in Toronto is a mis-spoken slip of the tongue.

Amun

Wait, you're kidding, aren't you? Should he move to New York because of Uber? Do you know other factors in his life that might influence his decision to drive Uber in Toronto, for example family, etc?

Have you yourself driven in other Ontario cities other than Toronto before? Let me tell you, Uber Ontario is Toronto, not other cities. I drive in Toronto and other cities; there is no comparison. Toronto wins hands down.

So saying he shouldn't be driving in Toronto is a mis-spoken slip of the tongue.
I've driven in 4 different Ontario networks in the year I've been doing this and I can honestly say for profitability, Ottawa wrecks everything else.

I drove in Ottawa for 3 weeks visiting family and for a 35 hour week I was making 28 an hour average just Uber x and that was this year actually only about a month ago.

Toronto traffic plus it's constant construction hurt you efficiency a great deal. The worst so far has been Guelph. With how nasty cabbies are out there and the city stance there is a palpable aura of paranoia for drivers.

I'd also say that Everytime I've been to London, I saw large surges even during the day on a weekday. But I found that network is a lot like Hamilton's you will get requests regularly for 20mins+ so you get kicked off the app often for not accepting enough.

Canada647

Honestly if your moving to a city to work Uber? Toronto is not your best option. Look at renting or owning a house in Toronto. Know that real estate here is not cheap. Consider a place that's cheaper and less taxes. Perhaps Houston Texas?

Karem

Man sign up and drive. Don't listen to these ppl they just wanna scare new drivers away. If they hate uber so much why don't they get out

Last edited by a moderator: